The sweet and salty layers in these Caramel Pretzel Cheesecake Brownies will have you reaching for another one brownie in a hurry!
The summer Olympics are just around the corner...there is something so fun about waiting every four years for the summer Olympics to come back around.
My favorite sport to watch has always been the gymnastics. It amazes me how flexible and agile those athletes are!!!
When I was younger, I always dreamed of being a world famous gymnast traveling the world. I think watching the movie Nadia over and over and over had something to do with that. Has anyone seen that movie recently?
I would love to watch it with my daughter after the Olympics are over, but I can't seem to locate it anywhere. Even our local library doesn't have a copy!
It's a good thing I decided to pursue my baking dream instead. That one has worked out much better for me...especially since I never even took gymnastics classes.
So, since I need to get prepared for hours and hours of Olympic watching, I made some brownies. Oh, but not just any brownies. These treats got a little bit more fun added to them.
Fun...like being sandwiched between a salty pretzel crust and a caramel cheesecake, and then chocolate covered pretzel rings on top.
That's the kind of fun baking stuff that happens in my kitchen. (If you are looking for an easier treat, you might like these caramel pretzel cookie dough bites instead.)
But after one bite of these caramel pretzel cheesecake brownies, and you might be doing flips down the hall...even if you have never done them before in your life.
Want to know my favorite part of this recipe? The salty pretzel bottom!! And the best part is that it stayed crunchy and salty even after a few days in the fridge.
Gotta love it when that happens.
Caramel Pretzel Cheesecake Brownies recipe:
For the Crust
- 2 cups coarsely crushed pretzels
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
For the Cheesecake Brownies
- 1 box brownie mix (9x13 size)
- 2 packages cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup caramel ice cream topping
For the Topping
- ½ cup caramel candies (about 12 squares)
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
For the Pretzel rings
- 2 cups pretzel rings
- 10 ounces white melting wafters
- blue, black, red, yellow, and green gel food coloring
- 5 teaspoons vegetable shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- For the Crust: Stir together the crushed pretzels, sugar, and melted butter. Press into the bottom of a 9×13 pan that has been sprayed with non stick spray. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- For the Brownie: Prepare the brownie mix according to the directions on the back of the box. Spoon ⅔ of the brownie batter on top of the cooled pretzel crust. Set aside.
- For the Cheesecake: In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Add the eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and caramel ice cream topping and beat again. Gently spoon the cheesecake on to the brownie batter in the pan. Drop the rest of the brownie batter by spoonfuls onto the cheesecake. Swirl very carefully with a knife. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Refrigerate until firm. Cut into squares or circles.
- For the Topping: In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the caramel squares and the heavy whipping cream until melted. Drizzle over the cheesecake bars and let set.
- For the Pretzel Rings: In a microwave safe bowl, heat the chocolate chips and shortening for 30 seconds. Stir and continue to heat 20 seconds at a time, stirring in between each time. Drizzle over the caramel. Let set. Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container.
- Melt the white chocolate according to the package directions. Divide it into 5 bowls and stir a little bit of gel color into each bowl until you reach your desired color. Stir in 1 teaspoon shortening per bowl and heat in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds. Stir. With a fork dip the pretzel rings in the colored coating. Let set on wax paper.
- Serve the cheesecake squares with Cool Whip and a pretzel ring if desired.
Top with Cool Whip and candy coated pretzel rings right before serving. The color from the rings will off on the Cool Whip when they are refrigerated.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 171mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 0gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.