REFINE

Our last year has been one of many changes and adjustments.  We followed God’s leading in our lives and went into full time ministry.  It truly amazes me to look back on the last year and see how God provided for our family.  Were there times I doubted His provision?  Yes, I am human after all.  I like security.  I like knowing what is going to happen and when it is going to happen.  I also like knowing there is money in our account to pay those bills that do not stop coming in, even when you change jobs and take a large pay cut.

IMG_2573

But that is where trust comes in.  I had to completely trust God for those things I could not control.  I had to trust my husband in his choices for our family.  It’s a hard but easy choice to make.  My head knows that God will keep us safe and provided for…sometimes it takes my heart longer.  My human nature does not like to be out of my comfort zone.

A year later and I can look back and see how being faithful to God’s leading has been put into effect.  Our bills have been paid every month.  Our family has been healthy and safe, and we have never had to worry about food or shelter.  God is good.  We have been faithfully giving back to our church with our tythe this year, and we have more money in the bank now then ever before.

IMG_4220

As we start this new year, my husband and I talked about our next year, and what we want to see happen with our lives and our family.  I have done a word of the year for the past few years.  PAUSE, CHANGE, ATTENTION, and AMAZED are the ones I have done in the past.

These are all words that I wanted to focus on for my life.  I usually make it about halfway through the year before slowing down and slipping in my thinking.  I want to finish out this year strong, so this year my husband and I chose a word together for 2014.  One that we can focus on with each other.  One that we can remind each other to keep doing and to keep working on.

Refine 1

The dictionary gives a few different definitions for the word REFINE, but one stuck out the most to me.  It was “to improve upon by making subtle or fine changes”.  It is the little things that make the biggest differences in our lives.

I love this!!!!  I feel like I look at the big picture too many times, and then I get discouraged when I don’t see any changes.  By making LITTLE changes in daily things, big differences will happen over time in life.  This is nothing new but I feel like it never occurred to me until this week.  Now to make those small changes in my life a habit.

Job 23:10 “But He knows the way I take; when He has refined me, I will come out as gold.”

Refine 2

So how does this look for me and for my family?

In my daily quiet time:  Make sure that is my first priority each morning.  I tend to tell myself that I will do it later, and then before I know it the day is over and I haven’t spent any time reading my Bible.  REFINE my schedule to make the main thing the most important thing.

In my family time:  Hand over more small chores that our kids can handle.  Have more one on one time with each child.  Spend more quality time as a family without electronics.  REFINE how we handle the children as they get older.

kid dates
In my blog time:  Focus on quality recipes and sharing others posts on social media.  REFINE how I spend my day on the computer.   I also want to include more blog trips and sponsored posts when it works for our family.  I am so thankful for the growth and opportunities that God has allowed to come my way in the past year.  I am so excited to see what happens next with it.

blog stuff

In my diet and exercise time:  Eat healthier and exercise more.  Watch what I really put into my body.  REFINE my eating habits.  This is tough with all the sugar that comes out of my kitchen.  I am working on some healthier recipes for the next few posts.  I hope you guys want the good stuff!

24-day-challenge_banner

My husband and I did a 24 day challenge using the ADVOCARE products in November.  I was feeling tired and sluggish and just had no motivation during the day.  We heard about Advocare and decided to check it out.  Advocare is a supplementation and nutrition program.  It helps you jumpstart your exercise and weight loss with healthy products.  It was exactly what I needed to get moving again.

Advocare products 1

During the 24 day challenge, I also did cross fit and weights at a new gym.  In 24 days, I lost 2-3 pounds, and a total of 5 and 1/2 inches overall.   Then the holidays happened and I fell off the eat healthy train.  Not too bad though because I only gained back a little bit of weight.  This past Sunday my husband and I started another 24 day challenge.  In just a few days, I have lost 2 pounds without doing anything but taking the supplements and eating healthy.

Would you be interested in doing the 24 day challenge with us?  You can learn more about these products and order HERE.  Right now they are offering a discount if you order in January.  Feel free to ask us any questions.  We would love to be a support for you as well.

I am excited to start this new year REFINING my habits.  By making little changes in our lives we can see big differences in the end.

What goals and changes are you wanting to make this year?

Comments

Your youngest really does look like you! This is such an encouraging post. I like the idea of picking one word for the year and applying it to different areas. I especially can relate with the blog time and quiet time … I think those are impacted by each other! Less blog time, more quiet time. Thank you for the reminders!

This is such a beautiful post! I struggle with the same things : trusting God, trusting my husband, trusting that my husband is looking to God to make the decisions for our family, etc. This is so inspiring and I LOVE how you talked about making small changes and they can have big outcomes! Great, great post lady!
    Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness recently posted..Chicken Noodle Spaghetti Squash Casserole {Lower Carb, Low Calorie & Low Fat}My Profile

Jocelyn,
    Thank you for this inspirational post. I’m impressed with the step your husband took (and you) last year as you walked by faith and not by sight!
    May God continue to bless you as you obey Him.
    -Donna

4. Maureen Blackburn says

You and your family are such an amazing inspiration for me. I so enjoy your recipes, and love the transparency in your faith. Thank you for all you share!!!

5. Julee Rachels says

Your blog is so inspirational and I love reading it. I read a book last year on picking a word for the year and wanted to begin this year and you have reminded me with this post to do just that. Keep trusting God in all you do and sharing your heart!

I love this Jocelyn! I love your outlook, your honesty and your faithfulness! It is so true how you can always look back and see how God has always come through everytime you have needed him! This year for my husband and I is definitely a year when we have had to lean in and truly take huge leaps trusting that God will come through because he always does. I am so inspired by you! Thank you!
    Liz @ Life Made Sweet recently posted..Kahlua White Russian CookiesMy Profile

7. Sandy says

I appreciate your honesty about your doubts, but also how God was faithful to always provide. Thank you for pointing others to the source of your strength. When we are truly refined then everything we do is not about us but rather about Him. It is really an ongoing process and one we are never finished with us we go to our home in heaven.

I love your word for the year! So awesome! Your story – it’s truly inspiring. My husband and I have really been trying to make adjustments as well. We were just talking in our small group last night about how it can be so hard to focus on what God’s plan for us is and not try to hold on to control. Yet, I always end up feeling like I’m in the right place when I let go. Good luck with refining this year! Many of the things you want to refine are on my list as well :)
    Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar recently posted..Lemon White Chocolate Gooey BarsMy Profile

I love this, Jocelyn. It’s so amazing when you step out in faith, knowing God is faithful in your head, then experiencing His faithfulness and knowing it in your heart. That was what this past year was for me, too! Thank for sharing all your “refining” goals. I love it. Can’t wait to see where God takes you in 2014!
    Erin | The Emerging Foodie recently posted..Healthy Fresh Fruit Spring RollsMy Profile

Way to go you! I’m glad you’re feeling better and making changes that will benefit everyone. I too, gained a few pounds over the holidays (How did it happen?) and I’m trying to jump back on the get healthy wagon…which is super hard since I homeschool, stay home all day, and lately, have been awake from 3am-till whenever Christian decides to go back to sleep. Good for you! I love your word for each year. Very genius!
    Chels R. recently posted..Swiss Chicken DinnerMy Profile

Great goals, Jocelyn. My husband just got a new job offer with our church (where we both currently work part-time) to be a full-time pastor. We’re still praying about whether or not to go for it, and it would be a big change in our family, since we’re both home with the kiddos most of the time. Glad to hear it worked out great for you. God probably does a happy dance when we follow his leading, don’t you think?
    Jelli recently posted..Family First: Tidy HomeMy Profile