Ever been disappointed when you open a half gallon of Cookies and Cream Ice Cream and discovered they skimped on the cookies? Never again. Take control with the best cookies and cream ice cream recipe.
This creamy ice cream is simple to make, does not have eggs, and you can add as many cookies as your heart desires.
Homemade Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
We recently purchased a new ice cream machine, and I have been having way too much fun making homemade ice cream. I love how easy it is to whisk together a few ingredients and then churn it into a delicious frozen treat.
So far, we have made Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream, strawberry ice cream, and Oreo ice cream. But the cookies n cream ice cream is the one that stole my heart. The number one ice cream flavor in stores is cookies and cream, but the problem with store bought ice cream is there are never enough cookies in the carton.
To fix the skimpy cookie to ice cream ratio, I make a homemade cookies and cream ice cream with lots and lots of Oreos. Trust me…there are plenty of cookie chunks in every single bite.
Another great thing about this homemade ice cream is that it is made without using any eggs or cooking. I’m all about simple recipes, so this Philadelphia style ice cream is perfect.
Calling all Oreo lovers! This is seriously the best cookies and cream ice cream I have ever tasted. It is smooth, creamy, and loaded with Oreo cookies.
What You’ll Need
To make this creamy vanilla ice cream without eggs, you will only need a few ingredients. The creaminess comes from the heavy cream and whole milk mixture.
- Cream Cheese – Adds creaminess and also keeps the ice cream from freezing too hard.
- Granulated Sugar – Sweetens the homemade ice cream.
- Honey – Adds sweetness and also keeps the ice cream from freezing rock solid.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds a delicious vanilla flavor.
- Salt – A pinch of salt helps to balance out the sweetness.
- Whole Milk – Recommended for the creamiest texture. You can use 2 %, 1%, or skim, but the ice cream will have a slightly icier texture.
- Heavy Cream – Gives the ice cream a creamy and rich texture.
- Oreo Cookies – Coarsely chop regular Oreos into bite sized pieces. To change it up try using Golden Oreos or your favorite flavored Oreo.
How to make Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
This cookies and cream ice cream is so easy to make in just a few steps. The hard work is all done by your machine while you wait.
Step One: Cream Cheese Base
- Beat together the softened cream cheese and sugar in a medium bowl until creamy.
- Slowly mix in a little bit of milk at a time until the cream cheese is completely mixed in.
Step Two: Vanilla Ice Cream Base
- Stir together honey and remaining sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk in heavy cream, cream cheese milk, salt, and vanilla until dissolved.
- Refrigerate one hour. (This is optional, but does help give it the best flavor.)
Step Three: Churn
- Pour vanilla ice cream mixture into ice cream machine according to machine directions.
- Churn until thickened. This will depend on what model and machine you use. I use and love this Cuisinart Ice-100.
Step Four: Freeze
- Spoon a layer of soft serve ice cream into freeze container. Sprinkle with a good amount of cookies.
- Repeat layers until all the ice cream and cookies are in the container.
- Add more chopped Oreo cookies to the top of the ice cream.
- Press parchment paper or wax paper directly on top of the ice cream.
- Freeze the soft serve ice cream for several hours. This cures the ice cream and allows it to be hard and scoop-able.
- Use an ice cream scoop to serve this cookies and cream ice cream once it is frozen solid.
- Top scoops of the best cookies and cream ice cream with drizzles of hot fudge, this Easy Whipped Cream Recipe, and a cherry.
- Make brownie sundaes with these Chocolate Chip Brownies.
Tips and Tricks
- If you are using an ice cream maker with a freezer bowl, make sure to freeze the bowl 24 hours ahead of time. If you are using a compressor ice cream maker, chill the bowl at least 15 minutes prior to churning.
- Chill the ice cream base at least one hour before churning. This allows the ingredients to fully dissolve and to age and deepen in flavor. It isn’t necessary, but it does make a difference in the taste.
- Place the ice cream container you will be freezing the ice cream in into the freezer when you start to churn the ice cream. That way the container is chilled when you transfer the soft serve ice cream to the freezer container.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape all of the ice cream out of the freezer bowl quickly.
- Add ingredients such as cookies, nuts, or fruit AFTER the churning process. If you add Oreo cookies to the vanilla ice cream while it is churning, you will end up with gray ice cream.
- Placing parchment paper or wax paper directly on top of the soft serve ice cream protects it from developing ice crystals on the top.
- Cover the container and freeze the ice cream for 2-3 hours, so it can firm up before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different kind of milk?
You can use any variety of milk you prefer. Just know that the higher fat content in the milk is what gives it the creamy texture.
How do you store homemade ice cream?
Keep the cookies and cream ice cream in a tightly sealed container in the freezer. You can also use a metal bread pan. Place 2-3 layers of plastic wrap around the container.
More Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- Disney Dole Whip recipe
- Fudge Swirl Ice Cream
- Frozen Banana Ice Cream recipe
- Brownie Batter Ice Cream
- Peppermint Stick Ice Cream
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 20 Oreo cookies
- Beat the cream cheese and 1/4 cup sugar with a mixer until creamy. Add a little bit of milk to the mixture and continue beating until all the milk has been mixed in.
- Stir together the remaining sugar and honey in a large bowl. Whisk in the heavy cream, milk mixture, vanilla, and salt until sugar is dissolved.
- Chill ice cream base for at least one hour to deepen the flavor. This is optional.
- Whisk milk mixture one more time, then pour into ice cream maker according to manufacturer directions. Churn 20-40 minutes, depending on the machine.
- While the ice cream is churning, chop the Oreos into bite sized pieces. Set 1/4 cup aside.
- Once frozen, place spoonfuls of the soft serve ice cream into the chilled container. Sprinkle each spoonful with cookie chunks. Repeat until all the ice cream and cookies are used.
- Stir with a spoon or knife very gently to mix. Sprinkle the reserved cookie chunks on top.
- Press a piece of parchment paper or wax paper directly on the ice cream. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or lid and freeze for at least 2-3 hours before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 421Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 295mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 32gProtein: 4g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*This post contains affiliate links. Inside BruCrew Life may receive a small percentage from sales made through these links. These free links do not cost you any extra. Thank you for letting us share products we use and love.