These easy Homemade Cherry Cordials are a sweet copycat of the store bought treats you find at Christmas and Valentine’s.
Today is National Cookie Day, and I couldn’t let a day like that pass me by, now could I?
Who comes up with these fun little “national” days? Not that I am complaining. Any day that celebrates more sugar is worthy of a national day by me!!!
Have you had a Little Debbie Cherry Cordial cookie? They are a seasonal item that only comes out at the holidays.
Homemade Little Debbie Cherry Cordials
Well, if you are a cherry and chocolate kind of person, I came up with a copycat cherry cordial just for you!!!
Two vanilla cookies, filled with a cherry marshmallow cream, AND drenched in chocolate!
What’s not to like??? (well, unless you have a thing about fruit in your dessert:-)
I did make these for our church Life Group, but I am thinking about hiding them and just putting out the Oreos.
Then again with all the cookies and candies that come at this time of year, my jeans might protest at me eating that many!
Better go get them out of hiding!
Homemade Little Debbie Cherry Cordials recipe:
For the Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
For the Cherry Marshmallow Frosting
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup marshmallow cream
- 1 Tablespoon cherry juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cherries
- pinch salt
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 - 10 ounce packages chocolate melting wafers
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugars until fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add the flour. The dough will be very stiff, so you might need to stir in the last cup by hand. Divide the dough into 2 balls.
- On a floured surface roll each dough ball to about an 1/8″ thick. Use a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter to cut out about 44 circles total.
- Bake on a cookie sheet for 5-6 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Cream butter and shortening. Add marshmallow cream, cherry juice, cherries, flour and salt and cream again.
- Slowly add the sugar until well blended.
- Spoon frosting on half the cookies and top with another cookie.
- Melt chocolate according to package directions. Dip each cookie in the melted chocolate using a fork to hold it and a spoon to cover the top.
- Carefully tap it on the side of the bowl and then place it on wax paper to set up.