If you are looking for an easy fruit dish that doesn't require much work, this Ambrosia Fruit Salad is the perfect choice. Just mix together the ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate until dinner. This simple ambrosia dessert will be sure to please everyone at your next holiday dinner party.
Want more easy fruit salads? This orange fluff and this pistachio fluff are a few of our favorites.
Why Ambrosia Dessert is the Best
Fruit salad is always a great option for a simple side dish at the holidays. Why not take it to the next level with ambrosia? It's easy and tastes so delicious!
Ambrosia fruit salad is the perfect way to dress up fruit. This is a classic recipe that has been around for years! The best part is how easy it to make it with just a few ingredients. It's perfect for any holiday party or family gathering!
Just mix your favorite fruits with Cool Whip and marshmallows, and you've got an easy ambrosia dessert that no one will be able to forget about.
What is Ambrosia Salad?
Ambrosia is a fruit salad made with a creamy "dressing" and marshmallows. This classic Southern recipe is usually served at potlucks and Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.
The salad used to be a treat reserved just for holidays and was named ambrosia after the Greek and Roman food of the gods.
Ambrosia Salad Ingredients
You just need a few simple ingredients to make this easy ambrosia salad recipe for any meal. Best of all it only takes 15 minutes from start to finish! Simply combine everything in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve. That's it!
- Canned Fruit - We like to use pineapple tidbits, mandarin oranges, and maraschino cherries. Cans of fruit cocktail are also great to use.
- Miniature Marshmallows - These add a light fluffy texture to the dessert salad. You can use regular or fruity. We like the pastel ones because they add a fun touch of color to the fluff.
- Coconut - You can leave this out if you are not a fan.
- Greek Yogurt - Adds a little bit of tang to the salad and cuts the sweetness.
- Cool Whip - We use a container of whipped topping for convenience. You can also use 3 cups of this homemade whipped cream recipe, if you prefer.
How to make Ambrosia
This ambrosia recipe can be made in minutes, so you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time with friends and family during the holidays. There are no rules with this fruit salad, get creative and add whatever fruit you like best!
- Drain the canned fruit very well. Feel free to substitute your favorite fresh fruits instead.
- Stir together the fruit, shredded coconut, and mini marshmallows in a large bowl.
- Gently fold in the sour cream until everything is coated. Be careful not to break apart the fruit.
- Add the whipped topping and gently fold it in.
- Cover and refrigerate for a few hours, so the flavors have time to blend and the marshmallows can soften.
Keep the ambrosia salad with Cool Whip in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. The fruit will begin to release excess liquid as it sits and break down the whipped cream.
Tips and Tricks
- Drain the canned fruit very well. You do not want any liquid left in it because that will cause the whipped topping to break down and get watery.
- Rinse the maraschino cherries before cutting them to keep them from turning the fluff salad pink. I also like more cherries in ours, so I cut them in half.
- Fold the ingredients in very gently, so you do not break apart the fruit and cause liquid to be released.
- Refrigerate the ambrosia salad dessert for a few hours to allow the marshmallows to soften and soak up moisture and for the flavors to blend.
- Want a crunch in your fluff? Add ½ cup of your favorite chopped nuts.
Can you make ambrosia salad ahead of time?
You can, but it really is best if served the same day you make it. The ambrosia salad recipe does need time to sit in the fridge for a few hours, so the marshmallows can soften and the fluff can set up.
It can be made one day ahead of time, but the fruit will cause it to start getting watery.
Can you make this sugar free or dairy free?
Fruit is loaded with natural sugars, so not really. But you can use a sugar free Cool Whip or make your own sugar free whipped cream to eliminate processed sugars.
You can use a coconut whipped cream and dairy free yogurt to make this a dairy free dessert.
Can you use other fruits?
Yes. Feel free to use any of your favorite tropical fruits. 2-3 cans of fruit cocktail also works great too. Some great options for fresh fruits are grapes, blueberries, strawberries, and apples. Just make sure you use the same ratio of fruit to whipped topping and yogurt.
Can you freeze ambrosia?
Yes. But you will need to serve it frozen because the fruits will start to get watery as it defrosts. This makes a great frozen pie when made in this homemade graham cracker crust.
More Fluff Desserts
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
Leave a Reply