It’s kind of long, so I totally understand if you want to skip to the recipe.
Christmas break came, and we were home for 5 weeks. During this time the guy that I had been “really good friends” with came to the realization that we weren’t meant to be. We truly were only friends. I was devastated because I really thought it could go somewhere.
But God had other bigger and better plans for me. After three days of feeling sorry for myself, I finally decided that I just needed a break from boys. They just end up breaking your heart anyway, right?
My friend Grace invited me to join her and her group of friends for dinner or church or something like that. I really don’t remember what we did first. She was dating a guy named Troy. Guess who Troy’s best friend from his home back in Indiana was? You got it. The cute driver that I had met months ago. We both hit it off again and started talking. Talking led to us to start meeting for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Our “dates” all consisted of church and food.
We dated for a few months before “going steady”. About halfway through the semester, Grace and her sister decided they wanted to visit their grandma in Daytona Beach. I also had an aunt and uncle that lived near there.
The rule is that you can leave for the weekend, ONLY if you have relatives that you are staying with. We got our parents permission and turned in all the necessary paperwork. Now the catch was the boys were going with us. Troy had some relatives a few hours from Daytona, I think, but my guy had no one.
Soooo, he dialed direct assistance and found someone with the same last name as him, changed the number slightly, and turned in his pass. He was the one with the car, after all. We left for the weekend of fun knowing that if we were found out it was the end of our college career there. They don’t take disobedience very lightly.
Why we even did this? I don’t know. It seemed like a good idea at the time…we really thought no one would ever know. Our passes were almost all legit. We spent the entire weekend in Daytona at the beach. The girls stayed at Grandma’s house, and the boys had a hotel on the beach. During the day we met up and played at the beach and had dinner together. We got back Sunday night, and everything seemed fine.
I am thankful that God was working in the situation. I knew that I deserved my punishment for breaking the rules. Do I wish they had shown some grace and tried to restore us? Yes, but that wasn’t God’s plan.
He wanted to teach us a lesson in humility and obedience. It has been a hard story to tell over the years, but it gets easier each time. Plus, we are able to see the humor in all of it now. Am I proud to say I got kicked out of college? Yes and No! No, because I broke the rules and had to pay the consequences and that is very humbling. Yes, because funny as it is…it is kind of an honor to be kicked out of that particular school. (I do mean honor very lightly)
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 package instant cheesecake pudding mix (1/2 of a 3.4 oz box of Jello)
- 1 cup Cool Whip
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 Tablespoons raspberries, smashed (keep juice with it)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 24 raspberry M&M’s
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 24 liners in a cupcake pan.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the directions on the back of the box. Fill liners 3/4 full and bake for 18 minutes or until top springs back.
- Let cool completely.In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and sour cream on low until creamy.
- Add the milk and pudding mix and beat until mixed. Fold in the Cool Whip. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and shortening. Add the smashed raspberries and salt and beat again.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar until all is incorporated. Beat the frosting until fluffy.
- Using a melon scoop or cupcake corer, cut the center out of the cupcakes. Fill with cheesecake filling and top with the raspberry butter cream.
- Place the chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir until creamy.
- Spoon into a plastic baggie with one tip cut off. Drizzle over the tops of the cupcakes. Keep refrigerated. Top with raspberry M&M's right before serving.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 237 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 21mg Sodium: 134mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 28g Protein: 1g