A hidden coconut center and chocolate and caramel drizzles turn this Chocolate Coconut Bundt Cake into the perfect chocolate dessert.
Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but my oven is baking so delightful. I have my temperature cranked to a balmy 78 degrees, my curtains are closed to hide the snow from my eyes, and the coconut treats are baking away.
Coconut tends to make my mind go to the tropics. So, when the weather is downright frigid around here, you will find me in the kitchen surrounded with all sorts of coconut goodies. Sorry kiddos, mama loves her coconut.
For this chocolate cake recipe, I chose a dark chocolate cake with a hidden tunnel of coconut goodness. The recipe itself looked pretty perfect, so I only made a few minor changes to the cake.
The top needed some fun toppings though.
The crazy baker in me had to fix that right away. Since this is prime girl scout cookie time, I decided to give this chocolate coconut cake some Samoa loving.
Caramel, toasted coconut, and chocolate was the perfect “icing” for this delicious cake. I couldn’t stop sneaking slices every time I walked through the kitchen.
It’s a good thing summer is far away, because all this snacking I’m doing is not good for shorts and bathing suits.
I guess there is a good thing to cold weather…all the layers of clothing I can use to hide my cake rolls. LOL!
For the Coconut Filling
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
For the Cake
- 4 ounces dark baking chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Topping
- 1 cup caramel bits
- 4 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 10 inch bundt pan and sprinkle it with a Tablespoon of cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Beat egg white with mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in coconut, flour, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate according to package directions.
- In large bowl beat butter and sugars until light and creamy. Add eggs and beat well.
- Add in melted chocolate and vanilla and beat again.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt. Alternately add the dry ingredients with the water, beating on low speed after each addition until combined.
- Spoon half the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Drop coconut filling by rounded teaspoons onto batter in pan, avoiding the edges. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake for about 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then flip onto plate and cool completely.
- Place caramel bits and heavy cream in pan and heat over low heat. Stir until melted and creamy.
- Drizzle over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Press into caramel.
- Place chocolate chips and shortening in bowl. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until creamy. Spoon into plastic bag and cut one tip off. Drizzle over coconut and let set.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 541Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 450mgCarbohydrates: 75gFiber: 4gSugar: 55gProtein: 7g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.