Chocolate Mint Donuts

Yum

Hi there friends.  Grab a cup of coffee and some Chocolate Mint Donuts and let’s talk shopping…mostly “Black Friday” crazy shopping!!!

Baked chocolate donuts with a mint chocolate glaze are such a fun breakfast treat!
 Last week I looked over all the “Black Friday” specials while my husband drove us to visit family for Thanksgiving.  We found a crazy good deal on a certain item and just couldn’t pass it up!!! I mean surely we can battle the crowds and stand forever to save $150!
My husband’s response… “How bad can it be?”
 Isn’t he cute? Obviously he has never shopped on that particular Friday before.

So after filling our bellies full of turkey, stuffing, and some dessert…ok, you got me, mostly dessert!
We ventured out to Walmart, and we just had to laugh at all the irritated people we saw.  Seriously, who goes shopping on Black Friday and doesn’t expect it to be busy.
These people were so funny!!!
Funny how fast the feeling of Thanksgiving disappears when you have crazy sales to get to.
We saw people carrying multiple boxes taller than their heads…and trying to pass people without being able to see the people!!!  And then getting upset when they dropped them.
We saw people staked out beside the shrink wrapped pallets just waiting to pounce if someone dared to get an item first.
Then there were the people that had just regular day to day stuff…like towels. Towels??? Seriously, you are going to shop for towels on the worst shopping day of the year? If you are only going to save a dollar or two, I recommend just waiting another day or two.

Then we got in line to pay…for an hour and a half at least.
Now when you get in line, do you stand directly behind the number of the register you expect to pay at??? Or do you form a side line behind a register THAT ISN’T THERE!
And then each line was bickering back and forth about who was really number 17!!! It was super funny stuff, people! We just stood there soaking in all the crazy irritable people! Lucky for us we had a guy that was easily 6’10” and weighed 400 lbs. in line with us! I don’t think too many people wanted to argue with him.
It was 2 hours full of crazy Walmart people…but hey, the laughs from this date (and the savings) were totally worth it!!!! Now if only I had actually witnessed a fight or scuffle over something silly…you know like waffle makers :-)
So, I’m curious…did you go shopping on Friday? Did you witness anything funny??? Do you want another donut?
Chocolate Mint Donuts

Yield: 16 donuts

Chocolate Mint Donuts

Chocolate cake donuts topped with a mint chocolate glaze is a great breakfast with coffee.

1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup sour cream
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups flour
1 cup Andes Mint Baking Chips
1 teaspoon shortening
green sanding sugar and sprinkles

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cream the butter, vanilla, and sugars. Add the egg, sour cream and buttermilk and beat again. Combine all the dry ingredients and slowly incorporate them into the butter mixture.
  2. Fill donut cavities 3/4 full. Bake 8-9 minutes. Let sit in the pan for about 2 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
  3. Melt Andes chips with shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Stir every 30 seconds so it doesn't burn. Dip tops of donuts into the melted chocolate. Sprinkle with chocolate jimmies and green sugar.

****Still in a Chocolatey Mint mood…you need to check out the awesome Chocolate Cake that Aimee from Shugary Sweets made!!!

Yum

Comments

Oh how funny. I saw in my google reader this morning that you made chocolate mint and I thought, I’m going to go link it up to my recipe…but you beat me to it! Thanks girl. I love how we are on the same wavelength…now can you share a donut???

I don’t have the patience for shopping on Friday, but I still loving shopping! I would have been home asleep and dreaming about these doughnuts!

These look so good! I love chocolate and mint together! We had a blast Black Friday shopping too:) I usually don’t have a ton of things I’m looking for, I just like to go because it’s so fun! There was a fight at our Target between a lady trying to sneak into line and one of the security guards! They closed the store for at least 10 minutes after only 25 people had gone in…crazy!

Its all about the thrill of the kill for me, but this year, it was about hanging with my girl since she wanted to go so bad! She has the shopping gene that runs in the family ; )

I’m so happy to see you are usually the first to link up to TTT! I didn’t go crazy shopping this year and now I wish I had just to see the great stuff you saw. Oh people…

I loved your Black Friday re-cap. I stayed inside all day and avoided the crowds. I wish I would have had this recipe then so I could have made it. These donuts look amazing!!

Yuuuuum. I’m dying to know what the item was that you went to get?? My daughter and I went to Walmart and picked up a trampoline. Or rather, the three store employees picked it up for us. ;)

We were in Southern Virginia, so we were surrounded by rednecks…..PLENTY of funny stuff! One guy kept commenting about how he was ready to punch someone. We quickly moved around the other side of the pallet from him!

Okay this is my new favorite treat! Delicious. We have pumpkin fried rice on our menu this week. Come over and check it out. And be sure to come visit us on Friday and register for a really wonderful give away from the Shabby Apple.

The dounuts look great…chocolate cake, my fav. Nope, don’t shop on black Friday. I do utilize my sister-in-law, however, she goes every year and loves it! And I did see a totally packed Walmart parking lot at 10 pm Thanksgiving night. Crazy!

I need these donuts! I bought the pan…but have yet to use it. Must. Make. Time. I went shopping but I don’t like the whole midnight thing…so I go during the day Friday. I get deals at Old Navy and, if I’m lucky, some at Target. For me it’s the spirit of *crazy* Christmas that gets me out the door!

Oh, and thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

Oh girl you are braver than me I can’t do that black friday shopping, but I will gladely come over for some of those donuts I can just imagined dipped in milk for the minty chocolate perfection, yum!!

Thanks for linking up to Newlyweds Recipe Linky.

I just spent 30 minutes on your recipes, trying to pick one to make for our company Christmas party this weekend. I finally decided on a mixture of the Oreo Marshmallow brownies & the Moose Track cookies! I’ll let you know how they turn out. :-) Just wanted you to know if I ever need dessert ideas – you are the person I turn to, haha.

LIke most women, you had me at chocolate. Then I saw mint and my knees got weak. By them time I read donuts I swooned. Love. This! I can’t wait to try these and I am pinning this on pinterest. Thank you for sharing!

Found you via link party!

I too ventured out on Black Friday, err should I say late Thanksgiving night. First stop was Walmart, found what we needed within 15 minutes of us being there and then hit the checkout lines. People were too busy lining up down a really long isle, when clearly there wasn’t much of a line over by the food/jewelry, so we got a great place in line!! We didn’t see any fighting, but heard many stories as we stood in lines at other stores. It’s actually pretty funny entertainment, some of those people are just out of control!!!

PS – these donuts look so yummy, would’ve loved to have some on Black Friday!!