So I have decided that it is time to start posting some Valentine’s recipes here. You’re down with that right??? I promise not to go completely overboard, but this is a low fat chocolate cherry muffin top. Who wouldn’t want this kind of recipe early?
You could wait until February to make these muffins, but I seriously don’t recommend it. They were delicious!!! The yogurt in these muffins give them a soft, tender inside. I really like using yogurt instead of sour cream for muffins. It helps cut down on the fat content, which is something that I have started to watch a little more. My kids aren’t big cereal eaters, but they will eat muffins if I keep them on hand. By making them with yogurt I feel better about them eating chocolate for breakfast. Of course, we ate them at all times of the day. They are a perfect afternoon snack when you are craving just a little bit of chocolate. (that makes me laugh because when I crave chocolate, I don’t want to eat a little) These chocolate cherry muffins are also a great before bed snack…or a midnight snack! Whenever you decide to eat them, they will satisfy your chocolate crave!!!
The great thing about this muffin is that it is easy to make it in a muffin top pan or a whoopie pie pan, or if you don’t have either, just bake it in a regular muffin tin. I have included both baking times in the recipe for you. Let’s talk about the cherries for a minute. If you like fresh cherries, by all means, use the fresh cherries in your batter. I just happen to love maraschino cherries. There is usually a jar in my fridge at all times for sundaes or drinks. And I keep a backup jar in my baking cupboard…does that surprise you that I have more than one jar? Something about the taste of these jarred cherries makes me happy. They also keep their bright red color when you bake with them. I love pretty food!!! Pretty food just looks so much more appetizing!
See how puffy those chocolate cherry muffin tops turned out? I know you want a bite 🙂
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl cream the butter and sugars until creamy. Add the cherry juice, egg, and yogurt to the butter and beat again.
- Sift together the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and flour and add alternately with the coconut milk to the butter mixture and beat gently.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and cherries by hand.
- Spoon a large tablespoon of batter into a greased muffin top pan (I used a whoopie pie pan) Bake for 12 minutes. Let cool 2 minutes in the pan, then remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Store in a sealed container for up to 4 days. Makes 24 muffin tops.
You can use a regular muffin tin if you don't have a muffin top pan. Bake the muffins for 18 minutes. Makes about 15 muffins.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 152mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
Looking for more chocolate muffins? Try one of these…