Chocolate for breakfast? Yes, please. Double Chocolate Banana Muffins will make you wish you had more ripe bananas. These soft fluffy banana bread muffins are easy to make, are loaded with fresh bananas, and have lots of chocolate chips.
If you love chocolate and banana as much as us, you should try this chocolate banana bread too.
Ever wonder what to do with the brown bananas on your counter? Muffins are always a great way to use those over ripe bananas without wasting them.
Right now these chocolate banana muffins are my favorite way to eat a banana. They are moist and fudgy and packed with two times the chocolate goodness.
We actually made these easy banana muffins twice in the last few days time because our kids devoured them so quickly. I call that a recipe success!
Our daughter said her favorite thing about these bakery style chocolate muffins were all the chocolate chips. Trust me, the BEST chocolate chip banana muffins have lots of chocolate chips inside and on top too.
Why You Will Love These Muffins
- Easy to make with pantry ingredients.
- Rich and chocolatey from the cocoa and chocolate chips.
- Great way to use up extra ripe bananas.
- Delicious and acceptable way to enjoy chocolate for breakfast!
Make sure you wait until the bananas on your counter are completely ripe before baking chocolate banana bread muffins. Dark ripe bananas are sweeter and the banana flavor will be more pronounced in your baked goods.
- Bananas - 2 large ripe bananas should give you enough mashed banana for this recipe. Make sure they are dark and spotty.
- Oil - You can use canola or vegetable oil for these muffins. Melted coconut oil or melted butter would also be a great choice.
- Egg - Adds moisture to the batter.
- Sugar - Brown sugar and granulated sugar makes these banana muffins sweet and moist
- All Purpose Flour - The main dry ingredient for these banana muffins. Learn how to properly measure flour with the spoon and sweep method.
- Cocoa Powder - This recipe calls for regular cocoa powder, but dark cocoa powder works too.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda - The combination of both will make the muffins rise nice and tall.
- Salt & Cinnamon - Adds flavor and balances the sweetness.
- Chocolate Chips - Any type of chocolate chip will work. We like using mini chocolate chips in our muffins because the small size spreads out more.
How to make Chocolate Banana Muffins
This banana muffin recipe is so easy to make, and everyone loves them because they turn out great every time. Muffins are the perfect thing to make for a sweet weekday breakfast or delicious weekend brunches.
Plus, chocolate muffins also make the perfect dessert because they have the same taste and texture as cupcakes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. There is nothing more annoying than going to bake something and realizing that you forgot to start the oven.
- Mix together the mashed ripe banana, oil, sugar, and egg in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Do not over beat the batter.
- Add 1 cup of the mini chocolate chips to the batter and stir gently.
- Spoon the muffin batter evenly into 15 cupcake liners that are in a muffin tin.
- Sprinkle the remaining mini chocolate chips evenly on the tops of the muffin batter.
- Bake for 18 minutes, then remove and let cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes before diving into them.
There are so many different ingredients that you could add to these easy chocolate banana muffins. Mix and match one or more to make them different every time you make them.
- Nuts - Add ½ cup of your favorite chopped nuts to add a great crunch to these banana muffins.
- Peanut Butter Chips - Will add a delicious chocolate and peanut butter flavor to the muffins.
- White Chocolate Chips - Makes the chocolate muffins have a pretty black and white look.
- Candy - Crushed Butterfingers, mini peanut butter cups, chopped candy bars
- Shredded Coconut - Gives it a delicious chocolate coconut flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long will chocolate banana muffins last?
Well, it depends on how much your family likes chocolate and banana together in a muffin. If they are like my family, they will devour a whole batch in one day flat.
They really are best eaten the day they are made. Although, they will keep for 2-3 days, if properly stored in a tightly sealed container.
Place a paper towel in the bottom of the air tight container to help absorb any moisture.
Can you freeze banana muffins?
You can also freeze the chocolate banana muffins, if you would like to keep them longer. Make sure the banana muffins are cooled completely. Wrap each one individually in plastic wrap or place in a sandwich bag. Place the wrapped muffins in a large freezer safe ziplock bag and freeze for 2-3 months.
Before serving, defrost the chocolate banana muffins in the refrigerator or on the counter. Reheat a room temperature muffin in the microwave for 10-15 seconds for hot melty muffins.
More Easy Banana Recipes
- Banana Cinnamon Rolls
- Banana Bread with sour cream
- Banana Caramel Cake
- Pineapple Orange Banana Smoothie
- Banana Pancakes
- Banana Waffles
- Reese's Oatmeal Cookies
- Blueberry Banana Ice Cream
- Best Banana Cake
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The recipe and post for these Double Chocolate Banana Muffins was first published on November 5, 2013. The were updated and the post was republished on July 10, 2021.