Two times the chocolate makes these Chocolate Avocado Muffins a rich and fudgy breakfast treat.
(photos updated May 2016)
PIN IT HERE TO SAVE THE RECIPE FOR LATER!
This past week my husband challenged me to try eating JUST fruits and veggies. Hhhhmmm, I think he knows that I have been letting my sweet tooth rule my diet lately.
So last Tuesday I began. The first day was not really a problem.
But by the end of the second day,all I wanted to do was raid all the Easter baskets and eat every Reese’s egg. Instead, I went to bed, and the urge went away!
Then it was strange…the rest of the week I didn’t really have a big desire to go all crazy on chocolate. (I think keeping my coffee/creamer was what kept me going)
I also found that if I wasn’t in my kitchen being the crazy baking lady, there were no goodies to munch on.
But then Friday night came and I just wanted to bake…something…anything!!!
We had some avocados sitting on the counter, so I decided to work them into a “healthy” chocolate muffin. Now usually we use them in Bbq Chicken & Avocado Quesadillas, but I needed chocolate. And fast!!
And adding some other stuff like applesauce, yogurt, and coconut oil…that makes chocolate healthy, right?
Time to get our greens on. Muffin style!!!
It is a really good thing that two times the chocolate is getting added to these muffins because there was no way my kids would have touched these otherwise.
My first batch had some baking issues. They were undone when I first pulled them out. So I went ahead and worked on round two with a few variations.
And, boy, am I glad that I did because these are now a family favorite!
Chocolate Avocado Muffins
Our family thinks these taste just like those amazing store bought muffins that are so rich and decadent.
My daughter says that 7-8 seconds in the microwave will give you that fresh from the oven texture too.
I trusted her judgement on that one…and holy cow!! Freaking amazeballs I tell you!
You just HAVE to give these chocolate avocado muffins a shot!
Don’t let the thought of green in your breakfast scare you away! Seriously, all you taste is fudgy chocolate!
Who else wants to eat their fruits and veggies this way with me???
(original photo from April 2012)
Chocolate Avocado Muffins recipe:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe avocado
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place 16 cupcake liners in a muffin tin.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the coconut oil and sugar until combined.
- Add the applesauce, vanilla, yogurt and mashed avocado and beat until creamy.
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients in another bowl. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk to the mixture, slowly beating everything together.
- Stir in 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips by hand.
- Divide the batter into the liners. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on the top of the batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool for about 2 minutes in the pan, and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in a tightly sealed container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 225 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 184mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 13g Protein: 4g