Two times the chocolate makes this Chocolate Avocado Muffins recipe such a rich and fudgy breakfast treat. Chocolate for breakfast? Oh, yeah!
A few weeks ago my husband challenged me to try eating JUST fruits and veggies. Hhhhmmm, I think he knows that I have been letting my sweet tooth rule my diet lately.
So last Tuesday I began. The first day was not really a problem. But by the end of the second day, all I wanted to do was raid the pantry and eat every Reese’s egg. Instead, I went to bed, and the urge went away!
Then it was strange. The rest of the week I didn’t really have a big desire to go all crazy on chocolate. (I think keeping my coffee and creamer was what kept me going.)
I also found that if I wasn’t in my kitchen being the crazy baking lady, there were no goodies to munch on.
But then Friday night came and I just wanted to bake…something…anything!!!
We had some avocados sitting on the counter, so I decided to work them into some healthy chocolate muffins. Now usually we use those avocados in BBQ Chicken & Avocado Quesadillas or in this Avocado Lime Salad Dressing, but I needed chocolate. And fast!!
Adding some other stuff like applesauce, yogurt, and coconut oil makes a healthy muffin, right?
Time to get our greens on. Muffin style!!!
It is a really good thing that two times the chocolate is getting added to these avocado muffins because there was no way my kids would have touched these otherwise.
My first batch had some baking issues. They were undone when I first pulled them out. So, I went ahead and worked on round two with a few variations.
And, boy, am I glad that I did because these are now a family favorite!
How to make Chocolate Avocado Muffins:
- Preheat the oven and place 16 liners in your muffin tins.
- Beat the coconut oil and sugars until creamy. Add the applesauce, avocado, vanilla, and yogurt and mix again.
- Stir together all the dry ingredients and slowly add it to the oil mixture. Add 3/4 cup of the mini chips and stir gently.
- Spoon the batter into the liners and sprinkle the tops with the extra mini chocolate chips. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 2 minutes, then remove gently and place on a wire rack.
Our family thinks these taste just like those amazing store bought muffins that are so rich and decadent. They are absolutely delicious warm out of the oven, but they are also great eaten cold
My daughter says that 7-8 seconds in the microwave will give you that fresh from the oven texture if you like to make muffins the night before.
I trusted her judgement on that one and holy cow!! Freaking amazeballs I tell you!
You just HAVE to give these Chocolate Avocado Muffins a shot!
Don’t let the thought of green in your breakfast scare you away! Seriously, all you taste is fudgy chocolate!
Other chocolate breakfast recipes you may like:
Two times the chocolate makes this Dark Chocolate Zucchini Bread disappear in a hurry. No one will ever know you are hiding a green veggie inside this sweet bread.
Chocolate Banana Powdered Sugar Donut Holes are an easy and delicious breakfast treat that can be ready in 30 minutes. Powdered sugar coating and soft chocolate centers will have you reaching for more in a hurry.
Double the chocolate in this breakfast cake is a very good idea. This Chocolate Banana Crumble Cake works for breakfast or as a snack with your afternoon coffee.
These easy Nutella Pop Tarts are a fun breakfast treat. Using a few ingredients gives you a homemade treat that looks just like the store bought version.
These Double Chocolate Banana Muffins are a great way to use up the ripe bananas on the counter. Plus, chocolate for breakfast always gets my vote.
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Be sure to follow us on our social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 1/2 cup solid coconut oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe avocado (1 med-large)
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place 16 cupcake liners in a muffin tin.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the coconut oil and sugar until combined.
- Add the applesauce, vanilla, yogurt and mashed avocado and beat until creamy.
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients in another bowl. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk to the mixture, slowly beating everything together.
- Stir in 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips by hand.
- Divide the batter into the liners. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on the top of the batter.
- Bake for 17-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Let cool for 2 minutes in the pan, and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in a tightly sealed container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 224Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 184mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 13gProtein: 4g
(original photo from April 2012)
*The post for these Chocolate Avocado Muffins was first published on April 16, 2012. The photos were updated and it was republished on May 10, 2019.