Sometimes you just have to do something that is you…
because no one else is like you.
And that is a good thing.
Want to know something?
I get grief for all the craziness that comes out of my kitchen.
People say things like “Oh that is just Jocelyn” while rolling their eyes
or the best one…
“Don’t you ever just make plain stuff?”
I like to make fun desserts!
Why? Because that is me.
Sure I can make a plain vanilla cupcake…but why?
Honestly it isn’t in me to be plain.
Every part of me screams be different and
don’t conform to the norm.
It’s why I like to wear funky shoes and carry fun purses.
Different, crazy, wonky…that’s me only in a very quiet form.
With my baking I am always thinking outside the box…
or inside the cupcake 🙂
So even a request for plain vanilla gets to be dressed up.
Now let me preface this by saying,
the family that ordered all the cupcakes a few weeks ago
knows my dessert fetish.
They wanted a fun vanilla with no chocolate in sight.
If someone else wanted a very plain vanilla,
I would most definitely make them exactly what they wanted.
But lucky for me…I had cupcake permission to get jiggy.
So how does one go about making a plain vanilla…fun?
You head to the store and wander the cookie and candy aisles
until something jumps off the shelf and into your cart.
Sadly that really does happen to me 🙂
As soon as I saw the golden Oreos I knew we had a winner.
A hidden cookie surprise for the bottom…
and vanilla cookies and cream frosting.
Plain with just a little bit of an edge.
The only thing that would have made this just a little bit better…
sprinkles. How on earth did I manage to forget the sprinkles?
If you try this, please remember to sprinkle more fun on top!!!
Or don’t if that is how your baking heart is leading you.
I have finally learned after a few years of comments and looks
to just smile and be proud of my outside of the box creations.
Dr. Suess said it best…”There is no one alive that is you-er than you.”
Just have fun and be you!
Wear those zebra shoes with a hot pink scarf.
Bling out your neck with a few layered fun necklaces.
Bake up crazy and wild desserts.
Do it because you can!
For the Cake
- 1 box white cake mix + ingredients on the back of the box
- 38 Golden Oreo cookies, divided
For the Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 Tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup finely crushed vanilla cookie crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 30 liners in muffin tins. Place a whole Oreo cookie in the bottom of the liners.
- In a mixing bowl, make up the boxed cake mix using the directions on the back.
- Fill liners and bake for 18 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl cream the butter and shortening. Add the cream, vanilla, and salt and beat again.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar until all is incorporated. Add the finely chopped cookie crumbs and beat again.
- Frost the tops of the cupcakes. Break the remaining 8 cookies into quarters and place one on each cupcake.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 103mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 1g