Do you want to show up at summer parties with the BEST 4th of July Cupcakes? Make a BANG and bring these Firecracker Cupcakes. These red white and blue fireworks cupcakes are a delicious way to enjoy "fireworks".
Fourth of July Cupcakes
Do you need a super easy and fun dessert for the Fourth of July??? My daughter and I had so much fun making these red, white, and blue Firecracker Cupcakes and this 4th of July Bundt Cake for a party we were going to.
These are the perfect summer cupcake to bake with your kids. We loved seeing how different each cupcake baked up depending on what color we started with on the bottom.
Take these Firecracker Cupcakes to all the summer picnics you are invited too. But BEWARE because once people know you can make such cute stuff, it will be expected for every 4th of July picnic you attend.
What You'll Need
These red white and blue cupcakes are quite easy to make with just a few ingredients. Kids will enjoy swirling the colors and adding the fun firecracker decorations.
For the Cupcakes
- White Cake Mix - white will give you the best colors
- White Chocolate Pudding Mix - instant dry powder only
- Eggs, Oil, & Water - ingredients from the back of cake mix box
- Red & Blue Gel Colors - the gel colors will keep your cake batter from being too thin
For the Vanilla Frosting
- Butter - unsalted and softened ahead of time
- Salt & Vanilla - adds flavor and balances out the sweetness
- Powdered Sugar - sweetens and thickens the buttercream frosting
- Heavy Whipping Cream - whips the frosting up
- Licorice - the pull and peel licorice looks the most like a fuse
- Sprinkles - a red white and blue mix with stars
How to make Firecracker Cupcakes
Put a spark in your Fourth of July parties with these fun patriotic cupcakes. The colorful layers are easy to do, and the candy "fuse" on top makes them look like a firecracker.
- Mix together a box cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, and oil.
- Divide the cake batter evenly into 3 bowls.
- Tint two of the bowls of cake batter with red and blue gel colors.
- Place 24 cupcake liners in a pan. Place 1 spoonful of a color in the bottom of each liner. Repeat with spoonfuls of the other two colors. You can alternate which color you start with to make each cupcake different.
- Bake and cool.
- Swirl vanilla frosting on top of the cooled cupcakes using an icing bag and icing tip 1M.
- Top with red, white, and blue sprinkles and a licorice candy fuse.
Tips and Tricks
- Measure the cake batter evenly into three bowls, so you have enough to make 24 cupcakes with all three colors in them.
- Do not over fill the cupcake liners. This doctored up cake mix will bake up nice and fluffy. The liners should be ½-3/4 full.
- Make sure the cupcakes are completely cool before adding the frosting and decorations.
- Store the cupcakes in a sealed container on the counter for 2-3 days. The patriotic cupcakes can be kept in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
These red, white, and blue cupcakes are an awesome 4th of July cupcake idea, but they are easy to make for any holiday.
- Change out the colors for any holiday or event. Use red and green for Christmas or pink and red for Valentine's Day.
- If you want to make an even easier cupcake, just make the recipe on the back of the box instead of adding pudding.
More Red White and Blue Desserts
- 4th of July Cheesecake
- No Bake White Chocolate Cheesecake Parfaits
- 4th of July Cookies
- Star Shaped 4th of July Rice Krispie Treats
- 4th of July Tie Dyed Fudge
- Lemon Berry Pie
- 4th of July Marshmallow Pops
- Fruit Parfaits
When you make a recipe from Inside BruCrew Life, don't forget to leave a comment and rate the recipe below. Follow us on our social media, and tag your photos #brucrewlife @brucrewlife !
I also created a Facebook group and would love for you to join. Share recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. Request to join HERE.
For the Cupcakes
- 1 vanilla cake mix
- 1 - 3.4 ounce box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup oil
- 4 large eggs
- blue and red gel food coloring
For the Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 package pull and peel licorice, cut into small pieces
- red, white, and blue sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place 24 liners in a cupcake pan.
- Beat together the cake mix, pudding mix, water, oil, and eggs in a mixing bowl. Beat for 1 minute on low, and 2 minutes on medium.
- Divide the batter evenly into 3 bowls. Add a little red and blue food coloring to two of the bowls.
- Fill your cupcake liners ⅔ full by alternating colors 1 Tablespoon at a time. Change it up by starting with a different color each time. Bake 20-22 minutes or until the top springs back. Remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat the butter, salt, and vanilla until creamy. Slowly add 4 cups of powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream until completely mixed in. If the frosting is too soft, add more sugar. Beat on high for a minute or until light and fluffy.
- Use an icing bag and icing tip 1M to swirl the frosting on the cooled cupcakes. Push a short piece of licorice into the top of each cupcake and add sprinkles on top. Store in a loosely sealed container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 224mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 0gSugar: 28gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
(original photo from 2011)