These fun Firecracker Cupcakes have a red, white, and blue surprise inside. A licorice topper and sprinkles make these patriotic treats so fun to eat and share at summer picnics or barbecues.
(post and pictures updated June 2018)
Do you need a super easy and fun dessert for the Fourth of July??? My daughter and I had so much fun making these red, white, and blue Firecracker Cupcakes and this Red White and Blue Bundt Cake together.
These are the perfect summer cupcake to bake with your kids. We loved seeing how different each cupcake baked up depending on what color we started with on the bottom.
The cupcake recipe you use below will determine how swirled the colors will bake. One recipe will create layers, and the other recipe will create swirls.
How to make Firecracker Cupcakes:
Mix up your cake batter using a box mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, and oil. (If you want to go the easier, swirled route, just make the recipe on the back of the box.) We like to jazz up our cupcakes with a pudding mix because it gives it such a great texture and taste.
Divide the batter evenly into 3 bowls. Tint two bowls with red and blue gel colors.
Place 24 liners in a cupcake pan. Place 1 spoonful of each color in the bottom of each liner. Repeat with spoonfuls of the other two colors. You can alternate which color you start with to make each cupcake different. Bake and cool.
Swirl the vanilla frosting on top of the cooled cupcakes using an icing bag and icing tip 1M. Top with red, white, and blue sprinkles and a licorice candy fuse.
Take these Firecracker Cupcakes to all the summer picnics you are invited too. But BEWARE because once people know you can make such cute stuff, it will be expected for every 4th of July picnic you attend.
More fun red, white, and blue treats for summer picnics:
- Swirls of colors make these Red, White and Blue Cheesecake Bars a fun dessert to share at holiday parties this summer.
- Sprinkles and holiday M&M’s make these Fireworks Cookies and Cream Cookies a great summer treat for the cookie jar.
- These easy No Bake White Chocolate Cheesecake Parfaits have layers of cookies and fruit and a chocolate covered strawberry.
- The swirls of color in this 4th of July Tie Dyed Fudge from Taste & Tell is so fun!
- A batch of Red, White, and Blue Stained Glass Jello Stars from Brown Eyed Baker would be perfect for holiday picnics.
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Firecracker Cupcakes recipe and video: