Add a plate of these fun colored Fireworks Cookies and Cream Cookies to your holiday plans. Sprinkles and red, white, and blue M&M’s will make these soft and puffy 4th of July cookies disappear in a hurry.
Cookies and Cream Cookies
The bag of red, white, and blue M&M’s and star sprinkles in the pantry were just the way to make these cake mix cookies a little more festive for Independence Day. The extra sprinkles on top gave them a fun and colorful fireworks look.
I love how every cookie looks different, but has the same awesome taste. To change things up in these cookies and cream cookies, we used the chocolate cream filled Oreo cookies. Honestly, you can use any cream filled cookie in this recipe.
We always have a few boxes of cake mix in our pantry, just in case we need to make a quick cake or cupcakes for something. Although, most of the time those cake mixes turn into cookies because they are just so easy to mix up.
Cake mix cookies are so easy to make and always bake up soft and fluffy. They are so easy to customize with different mix ins, so every batch can be different.
Ingredients for Cake Mix Cookies
All you need are a few simple pantry ingredients to make this firework recipe for July 4th. The sprinkles and M&M’s give each one a fun color.
- White Cake Mix – you will just use the dry mix
- Butter – unsalted and softened
- Cream Cheese – softened so it mixes in easier
- Egg – helps the cookie dough come together
- Vanilla Extract – adds flavor
- Oreo Cookies – gives the cookies a delicious cookies and cream flavor
- M&M’s – red, white, and blue candies make these 4th of July cookies so colorful
- Sprinkles – a red, white, and blue mix with stars
How to make Fireworks Cookies
These cookies and cream fireworks cookies come together so quickly. Once the cookie dough is made, give it time in the fridge to set up, so the cake mix cookies bake up thick and puffy.
- Mix together the dry cake mix, softened butter, cream cheese, egg, and vanilla in a large bowl until a soft dough forms.
- Gently stir the cookie chunks and sprinkles into the cookie dough.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 – 60 minutes.
- Roll the dough into 24 even dough balls.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before moving them to parchment paper to cool completely.
- Do not over mix the cookie dough once you add the cookies. To0 much mixing will break apart the Oreo cookies causing the dough to look muddy.
- Use a cookie scoop to make every cookie the same size.
- Roll the dough balls in sprinkles and press a few extra M&M’s into the tops right before baking to give the fireworks cookies more color.
- Store the cooled Fourth of July cookies in a tightly sealed container.
Other Red White and Blue Recipes
- Firecracker Cupcakes
- Red White and Blue Cheesecake Bars
- 4th of July Rice Krispie Treats
- Red White and Blue Marshmallow Pops
- Red White and Blue Swirl Bundt Cake
- Patriotic Cookie Pie Recipe
More 4th of July Menu Ideas
- Creamy Stove Top Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Jiffy Corn Casserole Recipe
- Picnic Potato Salad
- Deviled Eggs with pickles
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also have a Facebook group and would love for you to join. Share recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. Request to join HERE.
- 1 vanilla cake mix
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups Oreo cookie chunks (14 chocolate cream-filled)
- 3/4 cup red, white, & blue M&M's, divided
- 1/2 cup red, white, & blue sprinkles, divided
- Mix together the dry cake mix, butter, cream cheese, egg, and vanilla until soft dough forms.
- Stir in the cookie chunks, 1/2 cup M&M's, and 1/4 cup of the sprinkles gently.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30 - 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll into 24 even dough balls. Press the remaining M&M's into the tops of the dough balls. Add extra sprinkles to the tops of the the dough balls, if desired.
- Place the dough balls on cookie sheets and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on the cookie sheets for 2 minutes, before moving them to a piece of parchment paper on the counter.
- Let the cookies cool completely so they set up, then store in a tightly sealed container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 256mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post for Fireworks Cookies and Cream Cookies was first published on June 20, 2016. The post was updated and republished May 21, 2020.