Add a plate of these fun colored Fireworks Cookies and Cream Cookies to your holiday plans. Sprinkles and red, white, and blue M&M’s will make these cake mix cookies disappear in a hurry.
The past few weeks we have been enjoying some summer storms. Streaks of lightening across the sky has made for some pretty fun nights.
The other night we went to dinner at some friend’s house down the street. After an evening of good eats and fun chats, we headed out the door for our house.
The sky to the west was gray and ominous, so we booked it down the street before we got caught in the middle of a downpour. Within a few minutes, the winds had picked up, and the rain was coming down. That’s when the fun really started.
We sat at our backdoor with a glass of Blackberry Diet Dr. Pepper watching the amazing light show in the sky. Streaks of lightening brightened up the backyard every few minutes. There were some pretty intense bolts of lightening happening all around.
The storm eventually passed, but we kept seeing streaks of lightening go across the clouds. There were a few that would branch out in the clouds and look just like white fireworks. Which I guess is really what lightening is…nature’s fireworks.
We just sat watching in awe at the majestic display of God’s creation. It was incredible and totally breathtaking! Our God is amazing and sometimes just sitting and watching His power in silence is a good reminder that He is in control at all times…even when things don’t seem right.
Cookies are a treat I like to keep on hand all the time for our hungry kiddos, so I knew that I wanted to make another version of these popular Chocolate Chip Cookies and Cream Cookies for the upcoming holidays.
The bag of red, white, and blue M&M’s and star sprinkles in the pantry were just the way to make those cookies a little more festive. The extra sprinkles on top made me think of those awesome fireworks in the sky!
I love how every cookie looks different, but has the same awesome taste. To change things up a little bit more in these cookies and cream cookies, we used the chocolate cream filled Oreo cookies too. Honestly, you can use any cream filled chocolate cookie though.
How to make Fireworks Cookies and Cream Cookies:
- Gently stir the cookie chunks and sprinkles into the cookie dough. To much mixing will make the cookies break apart and look muddy.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
- Press a few M&M’s into the tops of each cookie dough ball before baking. This will make your cookies brighter and more fun looking.
- Roll the dough balls in extra sprinkles for the same reason as above. Plus, more sprinkles is never a bad idea!
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before moving them to parchment paper.
- Store the cooled cookies in a tightly sealed container…that is if you have any left.
Now all you need is a batch of cookies and some milk, and you are ready to sit and watch the summer storms in your area.
More red, white, and blue recipes you may enjoy:
- Firecracker Cupcakes
- 4th of July Rice Krispie Treat Stars
- Marshmallow Firecracker Pops
- Red White and Blue Bundt Cake
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also have a fun Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 1 vanilla cake mix
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups Oreo cookie chunks (14 chocolate cream-filled)
- 3/4 cup red, white, & blue M&M's, divided
- 1/2 cup red, white, & blue sprinkles, divided
- Mix together the cake mix, butter, egg, and vanilla until soft dough forms.
- Add the cream cheese and mix again.
- Stir in the cookie chunks, 1/2 cup M&M's, and 1/4 cup of the sprinkles gently. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll into 24 even dough balls. Press the remaining M&M's into the tops of the dough balls. Add extra sprinkles to the tops of the the dough balls, if desired.
- Place the dough balls on the cookie sheets and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on the cookie sheets for 2 minutes, before moving them to a piece of parchment paper on the counter.
- Let the cookies cool completely, and then store in a tightly sealed container. Makes 24 cookies.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 256mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post for Fireworks Cookies and Cream Cookies was first published on June 20, 2016. The post was updated and republished May 21, 2020.