BBQ Chicken & Avocado Quesadillas

Dinner ideas do not come very often for me.  I was pretty excited to create these BBQ Chicken & Avocado Quesadillas for my kids the other night.
BBQ Chicken Avocado Quesadillas - barbecue chicken and avocado in a cheese quesadilla www.insidebrucrewlife.com

In fact when I have to come up with one on the spot, I blank completely.
and good bloggy friends who post yummy dinners.
Plus, dinner is much harder to photograph…
all my natural lighting in my front windows is gone
by the time I have dinner plated up.
Now if you asked me about a dessert…
I could probably rattle off at least 10 options.
And probably have all the ingredients to make it right away.
Most desserts keep for another day when the lighting is better too!
I’m not sure why my brain doesn’t like dinner.
Maybe all the chocolate chips and pb cups have warped it totally.

It’s a good thing that my kids are very active
because there are some night when the hubby is working,
that we exist on cereal, pancakes, and of course leftovers.
And let’s not forget the token chicken nuggets and mac & cheese:-)
This dinner was based on leftovers.
All day long I was thinking about the BBQ chicken leftovers
that I had in the fridge.
What could we do with it other than have it on salad again???
For some odd reason I thought about the avocado sitting on the counter
and suddenly all I could think about
was putting it in a grilled cheese or quesadilla.
And do you know what?
These BBQ Chicken & Avocado Quesadillas were so super yummy!!!
I just had to share it with you…
don’t you feel super special now?
There is still chicken left and one more avocado…
can you guess what I am making for lunch again today???
BBQ Chicken & Avocado Quesadillas

Yield: 8 wedges

BBQ Chicken & Avocado Quesadillas

Cheese quesadillas filled with barbecue chicken and avocado chunks...great appetizer.

2 whole flour tortillas
1/2 c. mozzarella cheese
4 Tbsp. shredded chicken
2 Tbsp. BBQ sauce
1/2 c. avocado chunks

1. Heat a skillet up on medium heat. Lay 1 tortilla shell in the bottom and sprinkle half of the shell with 2 Tbsp. cheese. Combine the chicken and sauce. Top with 2 Tbsp. chicken. Sprinkle with 1/4 c. avocado chunks on top. Sprinkle with another 2 Tbsp. cheese. Fold the shell over and heat for about a minute or two. Flip the shell over carefully and heat the opposite side for another minute or two. Repeat with the remaining shell and ingredients. Makes 8 wedges.

Comments

I love avocados, so in a quesadilla with bbq chicken? Genius!

I don’t mind dinnertime and cooking dinner, but I tend to make the same things over a course of two weeks! Especially when it comes to the slow cooker, which I use at least 4 days a week! I may change an ingredient here or there in a recipe, but I’m a creature of habit.

Which is quite the opposite with desserts. I don’t make the same dessert very often. Because like you, there are so many choices and my pantry is almost always stocked!

These look really good. Out of all the quesadilla combinations I have tried, for some reason I never tried BBQ chicken. I will have to try this sometime. Thanks!

Jocelyn, I had to pin this before I even read the post. My middle child could live on quesadillas alone!
    I’m with you about the whole dinner thing. The only real reason to even have dinner is to get to dessert, in my opinion.
    And yes, we have had cereal for dinner before, even with hubby home and not even healthy cereal, I’m talking Captain Crunch and Fruity Pebbles, but hey, 8 vitamins and minerals has to count for something!
    Thanks for sharing!

MMMMMM. BBQ chicken and avocado should be married. I am digging those fat chunks of avo in your quesadilla; looks SO good!

Ha! I’m with you about dinner ideas. It’s so much more fun to bake than actually make a meal. But this does look amazing!!!

I loooooooooooooooooooove quesadillas and we are always looking for new ways to make them (am I the only one who gets into a dinner rut and makes the same things over and over and over??). These look so amazing!

7. Kim B. says

I LOVE your photography skills!! You could make cereal look gourmet :) I LOVE quesidillas & never thought of adding avocado…YUM!!

Um, perfect timing on this post! Last night, I was trying to figure out what I could do with an avocado, and then I remembered this dinner idea!! Better yet, I had leftover roasted chicken from the night before! Now, we were out of bbq sauce, but I threw some stuff together that resembled it, and it was fabulous!

9. Amie says

What exactly is BBQ chicken? The chicken in your picture looks saucy. Like a “pulled chicken” thing.
    Or is it a chicken that has been barbecued and shredded?

• Jocelyn Brubaker says

Yes, it is shredded chicken that has barbecue sauce on it. Sorry for the confusion. I updated the recipe to reflect that.

10. Molly says

I made this for lunch yesterday, well half of one as I only had 1 tortilla left, and I was certainly not disappointed (though I am disappointed now that I don’t have any more tortillas and would love to have this for lunch again!). Such a great flavor combination, yum!
    I struggle with dinner ideas too, usually just circulating through the same “tried and true” recipes. I like to save the experimenting for the fun stuff!

11. Autumn says

I just tried this recipe using canned chicken and it tasted great and was quick! Kids asked me to make it again.