Do you have any family traditions? One thing that we try to do with our kids each week is Friday movie night with pizza and popcorn. Last week I created this Key Lime Pie Popcorn for our night together.
*Make sure to sign up for the BruCrew email to receive new recipes in your inbox.
It’s that time of year when Spring is just around the corner teasing us here in the Midwest.
We had a few mild days, and then a winter storm came through and dumped about 9 inches of wet, cold snow on us. The good thing is that it is supposed to be warming up again, and that snow should melt. I am starting to get anxious for warm weather, although I shouldn’t complain because we have had the mildest winter ever. This is the first real snow storm all year.
But it still has me dreaming of warm beach weather.All the fun new spring flavors at the stores are really putting me into that warm weather mode too. Citrus must be the flavor for the spring season. I have seen so many different products using key lime, orange, and lemonade. It has me craving these Key Lime Cheesecake Cookie Bars too!
Duncan Hines has a new frosting creations packet in the key lime flavor. I grabbed a few of those when I saw them at Walmart. Key lime makes me think about Key West every single time.
My hubby and I went to Key West for our honeymoon, and then we also stopped there on one of the cruises that we went on a few years later. Both times we were there, we had the Key Lime cheesecake at Kermit’s cheesecake shop. I love the chocolate covered Key Lime pie on a stick. So, immediately my mind went to key lime pie when I bought the flavor packet.
And because we have popcorn all the time, I decided to try another fun flavor. How does Key Lime Pie Popcorn sound? I added graham cracker chunks to mimic the pie crust and marshmallows…well, the marshmallows just because I love them in chocolate covered popcorn 🙂
Then I added the key lime flavor packet to the melted chocolate before pouring it on the popcorn. Put the popcorn on a tray and let it set up before breaking it into chunks.
Chocolate drizzle over all the chunks was the perfect extra touch. Eating handfuls of this totally transported me back to the beach on Key West.
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 cups graham cracker chunks
- 1 - 10 ounce bag white melting chocolate melts
- 1-2 Tablespoons lime Jello powder
- 2 Tablespoons dark chocolate melts
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl toss the popcorn, marshmallows, and graham cracker chunks.
- Melt the white chocolate melts according to the package directions. Stir in the dry Jello powder, one spoonful at a time until you get the flavor you like. Pour over the popcorn mixture and toss until coated.
- Spread the popcorn on the baking sheet . Refrigerate for at least 5 minutes.
- Remove and break apart the popcorn into chunks. Melt the dark chocolate melts and drizzle over the popcorn. Let set again. Store in a sealed container for 3-5 days. Makes about 10 cups.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 80mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g
Here a few of my favorite desserts that get me thinking about the beach with their tropical flavors: