Try a piece of this Banana Caramel Coffee Cake warm out of the oven. That crumble topping and sweet glaze will have you going back for another piece in a hurry.
I think fall may have officially arrived. Maybe. Maybe not. After all, the last time I thought that, the 80 degree weather came back with a vengeance. Not that I mind this Texas weather. As much as I love the cooler fall days, I would much rather take an afternoon nap in the warm sun.
If the weather cooperates with me, I like to take a 30 minute break from my chores, baking, blogging, or whatever it is that I’m doing that day and sit in the warm sun. That little break gives me the boost I need to get the rest of my work done for the day. Well, most days. There have been a few days that I just wanted to do nothing after that little pause in my day because I was so sleepy.
It has been a while since the last banana treat, so I couldn’t wait any longer to share this bad boy with you. There are so many layers of goodness going on in this coffee cake that I’m not sure where to start.
About a month ago I made these banana caramel cupcakes, and I have not been able to get that flavor out of my mind. Those flavors paired so well together that I had to find another way to put them together because you need to experience it too.
As the bananas on the counter continued to ripen, I remembered this banana split coffee cake. It got me wondering if I could substitute the pie filling for a caramel cheesecake swirl. It was definitely worth a try!
One thing that I did differently on this banana caramel coffee cake was to boost the crumble topping. Giant crumbs and a sweet glaze drizzled on top was probably the best thing I could have done to this cake. It might be a super ugly cake when it comes out of the oven, but holy cow does it taste good!
Trust me. A warm slice of this cake with that glaze dripping down the sides will make you swoon. I’m seriously drooling over here thinking about how good it was. Now I wish I had not given all of it away! Next time, I need to hide the extras in these freezer boxes because I might need a sweet snack after my afternoon break to wake myself up.
Who am I kidding? With all the baking I do, there is no need to hoard the goodness all to myself! My jeans already hate me enough as it is.
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
For the Cake
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Caramel Cheesecake
- 1 - 14 ounce can dulce de leche
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
For the Crumb Topping
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons butter, softened
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 teaspoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Beat the butter, cream cheese, and sugars until creamy. Add the egg, banana, and vanilla and beat again.
- Slowly mix in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until it is all mixed in. Spread in the prepared pan. Set aside.
- Spoon the dulce de leche into a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 15-20 seconds or until slightly warmed. Mix the cream cheese into the dulce de leche until it is creamy.
- Place big spoonfuls of the caramel mixture on top of the batter. Use a knife to cut the caramel into the batter evenly.
- Mix together the crumb ingredients until big crumbs form. Use your hands to clump the mixture together.
- Sprinkle on top of the cake. Bake for 55 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle over the top of the cake. Serve slightly warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Reheat cold squares in the microwave for 10-15 seconds before serving again.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 308 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 256mg Carbohydrates: 43g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 28g Protein: 4g
*This post contains an affiliate link. We receive a very small percentage of sales made from purchases made from these links. Thank you for supporting BruCrew Life and allowing us to share products and brands we love.