This Cherry Coffee Cake is the perfect treat for breakfast or dessert. The buttery and moist cake has cherry pie filling and a sweet streusel. The combination of flavors and textures will have everyone asking for another slice.
This moist and delicious cherry coffee cake will make you forget all about regular coffee cake. Every bite has the perfect balance of soft cake and sweet pie filling.
I adapted the cake base from this strawberry snack cake but used a different pie filling and added a streusel layer this time.
Why You'll Love This Cherry Coffee Cake Recipe
Once you try this snack cake, you'll completely understand why we love it so much! The textures and flavors make it great for breakfast or dessert.
- This snack cake is easy to make with just a few bowls and one large pan.
- A can of cherry pie filling adds a sweetness that pairs well with the buttery cake and crisp streusel topping.
- Serve this sweet treat for breakfast or brunch. Or add a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and then enjoy it for dessert.
- While the original recipe calls for cherries, make this recipe with your favorite pie filling. Have fun experimenting with different flavors.
What You Need
Use a few basic ingredients and a can of pie filling to make this simple coffee cake with sweet cherries.
- 10x15 Baking Pan - (affiliate links) Great for jelly roll cakes or cookies.
- Mixing Bowls - Use for the batter and topping.
- Baker's Joy - Great nonstick baking spray to keep treats from sticking.
- Offset Spatula
- Unsalted Butter - Adds a rich flavor to the batter and topping.
- Sugar - This treat is sweet and moist when using granulated and light brown sugar.
- Large Eggs - Binds all the ingredients together.
- Baking Powder - Provides the lift as the cake bakes.
- All Purpose Flour - Adds structure to the batter. Learn how to measure flour correctly so your baked goods turn out every time.
- Cherry Pie Filling - Use 21 oz canned or 1 ½ cups homemade cherry pie filling for this recipe.
- Crumble Topping - A mixture of oats, flour, sugar, and melted butter makes an easy crumb topping. Add a little bit of cinnamon for a sweet and spicy flavor.
- Glaze - Whisk water and powdered sugar together to make a sweet drizzle.
How to Make A Cherry Coffee Cake
Whether you serve it for breakfast or bring it to a special event, this easy cherry coffee cake will be a huge hit. It tastes fantastic, and you'll love how simple it is to make a special treat.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar at medium speed until the mixture becomes light and creamy. Then, add the eggs and mix again.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and beat until a sticky dough forms.
- Spray a 10x15 baking pan with nonstick baking spray. Then, use an angled spatula to spread the dough evenly on the pan.
- Spread the pie filling over the top of the batter, leaving a 1-inch border all around the edges.
- In a separate bowl, stir the topping ingredients together, then sprinkle them over the top of the cake. Bake until golden brown.
- Place on a wire rack and cool completely before adding the glaze.
Store leftover coffee cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. You can also wrap squares in plastic wrap and freeze for up to a month. Thaw overnight in the fridge before serving.
Tips and Tricks
- Spray the pan with a nonstick spray, such as Baker's Joy. This will make removing the cake from the baking sheet much easier.
- Use an angled spatula to spread the dough into the pan because it is very sticky.
- Stir one teaspoon almond extract into the canned pie filling before adding it to the cake layer.
- Leave a ½ inch border around the cake when the cherry filling is spread out. This way, the cake batter will bake up all around it.
- Use your favorite fruit filling to change up this easy cake.
- Let the cake cool completely before adding the glaze because a warm cake will make it melt.
Yes! Coffee cake tastes better the next day. Just store it in an airtight container at room temperature.
Absolutely! For a personalized twist, experiment with different fruit pie fillings like blueberry or raspberry.
Feel free to use fresh or frozen cherries to make a homemade pie filling for the top of this coffee cake.
More Coffee Cake Recipes
- Berry Coffee Cake
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Banana Coffee Cake
- Cranberry Orange Coffee Cake
- Apple Crumble Cake
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and then a review in the comments section below.
This post was first published in August 2015. It was updated and then republished in February 2024.