Swirls of Peanut Butter Frosting are the perfect topping for your cakes and cupcakes. This easy buttercream frosting recipe combines peanut butter and honey to create a sweet and creamy texture that is impossible to resist.
Why We Love This Recipe
Looking for the absolute best peanut butter frosting in the world? Stop all the searches because this is it! This fluffy peanut butter buttercream is one of my most requested recipes and is also my favorite way to frost all the things.
Ok, ok, maybe not ALL the things because it wouldn't be good on eggs or zucchini. But you get the point, right?
I have been making this peanut butter icing recipe for years and have also used it in different blog posts. So why am I sharing it alone now?
I frequently get requests for frosting recipes. Sometimes readers already know what cake or cupcake they want to make, and they are looking for the perfect frosting recipe to go with it. To help everyone find frosting recipes easier, I have started to share them separately.
This peanut butter frosting is smooth and creamy and is perfect for swirling on cupcakes, cookies, or brownies. It's also great for frosting sheet cakes or layer cakes. Honestly though, my favorite way to eat it is by the spoonfuls. Wink, wink!
What You'll Need
A batch of this peanut butter buttercream is easy to make with 7 simple pantry ingredients. In just minutes, you can be enjoying creamy peanut butter goodness on all your baked goods.
- Unsalted Butter - I like to use unsalted butter, so I can control the amount of saltiness in my recipes.
- Peanut Butter - Any brand of creamy peanut butter will work.
- Honey - I like to add just a little bit of raw honey to this peanut butter frosting recipe because it gives it such a delicious peanut butter and honey flavor.
- Vanilla Extract & Salt - Adds flavor and balances the sweetness.
- Powdered Sugar - Thickens and sweetens the buttercream frosting.
- Heavy Cream - Gives the peanut butter frosting a light and fluffy texture when you whip it.
How to make Peanut Butter Frosting
This easy peanut butter buttercream frosting comes together in minutes with just one bowl. Make sure to beat the buttercream long enough for it to whip up light and fluffy!
- Beat the softened butter and peanut butter in a large bowl until it is light and creamy.
- Add the honey, vanilla extract, and salt and beat the buttercream mixture again. Make sure to use a spatula to push the mixture down the sides of the bowl.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream until everything is combined.
- Beat the peanut butter frosting on high for one to two minutes until it is fluffy.
- Use a disposable piping bag with icing tip 1M to swirl the peanut butter frosting on baked goods.
Tips and Tricks
- Set the butter out ahead of time. It’s much easier to create fluffy frosting with room temperature ingredients.
- I recommend using creamy peanut butter for this icing recipe if you are going to pipe it. A chunky peanut butter will not go through the small holes in icing tips.
- Live in a hot or humid area? You may need to add more powdered sugar to thicken the soft frosting if you are spreading it on layer cakes or piping details.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a natural peanut butter?
I have not tried this frosting recipe with a natural peanut butter, but I do not think it would work very well because of the excess oils in them.
How much frosting does this make?
You will be able to frost 24 cupcakes by swirling a moderate amount of frosting on each one. If you like a bigger ratio of frosting to cake, I would recommend making 1 ½ or 2 batches of this peanut butter buttercream frosting.
This recipe makes enough to cover a 9x13 cake or a 2-layer round 8" or 9" cake.
Does peanut butter buttercream need to be refrigerated?
This frosting is fine out on the counter for 2-3 days. If you have baked goods that last longer or if you want to make this frosting ahead of time, keep it in a covered container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
CLICK HERE TO PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
Uses for Peanut Butter Icing
- Reese's Explosion Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Recipe
- Girl Scout Cupcakes
- Reese's Cupcakes
- Banana Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cake
Other Easy Buttercream Frosting Recipes
- Dark Chocolate Frosting
- Marshmallow Buttercream
- Salted Caramel Buttercream
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life? Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for Honey Peanut Butter Frosting was first published June 2018. The post was updated July 2021.
I am making a Reece’s flavored grooms cake.... that I will need to be able to color the frosting.... this seems colorable to me... how much of the honey do you actually taste in this?? Should I omit the honey?
I love the flavor that the honey gives this frosting along with the peanut butter. It's subtle but there. If you want to leave it out, that's totally fine. You may need to add a little bit more whipping cream, but I would beat it first and see what the texture is like before adding anything extra. There is a slight tinge of color from the peanut butter, but I think you could totally color this with gel colors. Keep me posted on how it works for your cake.
Sounds amazing! Approximately how many cupcakes will this recipe frost?
You should have enough to frost 24 cupcakes, depending on how big of a swirl you put on each one. I hope you enjoy it!
.... never though of it .... so creative and healthy .... Thank you so much !
Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen
This frosting looks so thick and fluffy!! I love it!
I grew up eating peanut butter and honey sandwiches so this frosting sounds delicious!