Swirls of Peanut Butter Frosting are the perfect topping for your cakes and cupcakes. This easy buttercream frosting recipe combines peanut butter and honey to create a sweet and creamy texture that is impossible to resist.
Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting
Looking for the absolute best peanut butter frosting in the world? Stop all the searches because this is it! This fluffy peanut butter buttercream is one of my most requested recipes and is also my favorite way to frost all the things.
Ok, ok, maybe not ALL the things because it wouldn’t be good on eggs or zucchini. But you get the point, right?
I have been making this peanut butter icing recipe for years and have also used it in different blog posts. So why am I sharing it alone now?
I frequently get requests for frosting recipes. Sometimes readers already know what cake or cupcake they want to make, and they are looking for the perfect frosting recipe to go with it. To help everyone find frosting recipes easier, I have started to share them separately.
This peanut butter frosting is smooth and creamy and is perfect for swirling on cupcakes, cookies, or brownies. It’s also great for frosting sheet cakes or layer cakes. Honestly though, my favorite way to eat it is by the spoonfuls. Wink, wink!
What You’ll Need
A batch of this peanut butter buttercream is easy to make with 7 simple pantry ingredients. In just minutes, you can be enjoying creamy peanut butter goodness.
- Unsalted Butter – I like to use unsalted butter, so I can control the amount of saltiness in my recipes.
- Peanut Butter – Any brand of creamy peanut butter will work.
- Honey – I like to add just a little bit of raw honey to this peanut butter frosting recipe because it gives it such a delicious peanut butter and honey flavor.
- Vanilla Extract & Salt – Adds flavor and balances the sweetness.
- Powdered Sugar – Thickens and sweetens the buttercream frosting.
- Heavy Cream – Gives the peanut butter frosting a light and fluffy texture when you whip it.
How to make Peanut Butter Frosting
This easy peanut butter frosting comes together in minutes with just one bowl. Make sure to beat the buttercream long enough for it to whip up light and fluffy!
- Beat the softened butter and peanut butter in a large bowl until it is light and creamy.
- Add the honey, vanilla extract, and salt and beat the buttercream mixture again. Make sure to use a spatula to push the mixture down the sides of the bowl.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream until everything is combined.
- Beat the peanut butter frosting on high for one to two minutes until it is fluffy.
- Use a disposable piping bag with icing tip 1M to swirl the peanut butter frosting on baked goods.
Tips and Tricks
- Set the butter out ahead of time. It’s much easier to create fluffy frosting with room temperature ingredients.
- I recommend using creamy peanut butter for this icing recipe if you are going to pipe it. A chunky peanut butter will not go through the small holes in icing tips.
- Live in a hot or humid area? You may need to add more powdered sugar to thicken the soft frosting if you are spreading it on layer cakes or piping details.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a natural peanut butter?
I have not tried this frosting recipe with a natural peanut butter, but I do not think it would work very well because of the excess oils in them.
How much frosting does this make?
You will be able to frost 24 cupcakes by swirling a moderate amount of frosting on each one. If you like a bigger ratio of frosting to cake, I would recommend making 1 1/2 or 2 batches of this peanut butter buttercream frosting.
This recipe makes enough to cover a 9×13 cake or a 2-layer round 8″ or 9″ cake.
Does peanut butter buttercream need to be refrigerated?
This frosting is fine out on the counter for 2-3 days. If you have baked goods that last longer or want to make this frosting ahead of time, keep it in a covered container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
Uses for Peanut Butter Icing
- Reese’s Explosion Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Recipe
- Girl Scout Cupcakes
- Reese’s Cupcakes
- Banana Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cake
Other Easy Buttercream Frosting Recipes
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life? Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Beat the butter and peanut butter until nice and creamy.
- Add the honey, vanilla, and salt and beat again. Use a spatula to clean the sides of the bowl and push the mixture down into the center of the bowl.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream until it is all mixed in. Beat on medium to high speed for 1-2 minutes to create a light and fluffy texture.
- Use a piping bag and icing tip 1M to swirl the frosting on cupcakes. Or use a spatula to spread it on cake layers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
*The post for Honey Peanut Butter Frosting was first published June 2018. The post was updated July 2021.