This Salted Caramel Frosting adds an amazing sweet and salty flavor to any cake, cupcake, or cookie. Or you could just eat the sweet and salty caramel frosting by the spoonfuls like I do. I won't judge ya!
Why Make This
Salted caramel is an absolutely delicious combo that adds an amazing sweet and salty flavor to desserts. I wish I could hug the person that came up with the genius idea to add salt to sweet desserts.
I have been making this salted caramel frosting for quite a few years now. The best thing about this caramel frosting is that it goes so well with everything.
You can use it on chocolate, vanilla, pumpkin, banana, or apple cakes or cupcakes. It's also amazing on this dark chocolate brownie recipe.
The fluffy salted caramel buttercream is so easy to make in minutes. Trust me and make a batch, so you can see why we love it so much.
- Made with caramel ice cream topping.
- Whipped until light and fluffy!
- Fabulous sweet and salty flair.
- Goes with anything!
How to Use Sea Salt
Make sure that you use a coarse ground sea salt in this salted caramel frosting recipe. Do not substitute the same amount of regular table salt because it is much finer, and your frosting will definitely taste like the sea if you do this.
Sea salt measures differently than the table salt because of the larger grains. If you do not have sea salt, you can start by adding half the amount of regular salt and go from there.
Everyone does have different taste buds and opinions on how much salt to use, so add it sparingly.
You will only need a few ingredients to make this creamy and delicious salted caramel frosting.
- Butter - two sticks of unsalted butter
- Caramel Topping - any variety or brand of ice cream topping will work
- Vanilla Extract - adds flavor
- Sea Salt - it is very important that you use a coarse ground salt
- Heavy Whipping Cream - gives the frosting a light and fluffy texture when whipped in
- Powdered Sugar - thickens and sweetens the icing
How to Make
One bowl and 5 minutes is all it takes to make salted caramel buttercream. Super simple and absolutely delicious.
- Beat the butter, vanilla extract, caramel topping, and salt in a large mixing bowl until it is light and creamy.
- Add the heavy cream and powdered sugar a little bit at a time beating slowly until it is all mixed in. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl every so often.
- Once everything is mixed in, whip the it on a higher setting until the caramel icing is light and fluffy.
- Spread it on cooled cakes or brownies. Or use piping bag with icing tip 1M to add fluffy swirls on cupcakes and cookies.
Ways to Use
There is no wrong way to use this caramel frosting recipe. It is so good that you will want to slather it on just about everything.
- Make sure to set out the butter ahead of time, so it has time to soften before you make frosting. If you live in a humid or hot climate, it will not take much time at all.
- Any mixer will work, but I prefer a stand mixer because it is easier to whip the butter and ingredients to a fluffy texture. A hand mixer will work, but it will take more time and patience.
- Storage - Keep the frosting in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Bring to room temperature and then rewhip the caramel icing to get the fluffy texture again before using.
- This caramel buttercream frosting can be made ahead of time if needed. Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- You should have enough frosting to frost 24 cupcakes or 2 - 8 inch cake layers.
Other Frosting Recipes
- Marshmallow Buttercream
- Peanut Butter Honey Frosting
- Dark Chocolate Frosting
- Nutella Buttercream Frosting
More Salted Caramel Recipes
- Salted Caramel Brownie Truffles
- Salted Caramel Revel Bars
- Salted Caramel Bundt Cake
- Starbucks Salted Caramel Mocha
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life? Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
* The post for Salted Caramel Frosting was first published May 3, 2018. The post has been updated and republished July 15, 2021.