After years of baking cakes, I have officially come to the conclusion that I like making cupcakes so much more. They bake faster, they are faster to frost (because you don't have to smooth it out), and it is easy to make them look cute.
Now I may just be slightly against cake right now because starting tomorrow I need to start baking a bazillion cakes. Ok, ok, it is only 12 layers, but it's going to feel like so much more by the time I get to that 12th cake. Not to mention how many batches of butter cream I am going to be making.
I love how easy it is to make a cupcake look so cute! There are so many cute wrappers and toppers out there to make your cupcakes be fashionable for any party you might be having. I had the opportunity to use these adorable pink zebra wrappers from Bella Cupcake Couture.
I didn't know what wrapper she was going to be sending me, so I got really excited when I opened my envelope and found zebra print staring back at me. I just might have a zebra print obsession!!
Then came the fun of coming up with a delicious cupcake and party idea for these adorable wrappers. Right away I knew it had to be some sort of pink cupcake, so I decided on these easy cherry lime cupcakes with a slightly tart frosting.
My daughter loves having sleepovers. With bright colors and animal print being so popular right now, I knew these would make the perfect sleepover cupcake.
I love sleepovers at this age. Since parents are not the coolest anymore, the girls entertain themselves with make overs, fashion shows, and movies. I just need to make sure there are plenty of snacks and drinks. Some fun colored Jones soda, some snack mix, and cute cupcakes make this a perfectly fun and easy sleepover to have.
The only thing left to come up with was a party scene. I ended up going very simple for this cupcake party. I wanted to tie in the pink and white from the wrappers and the black and white from the soda labels. A quick walk around my house and I came up with a black cupcake stand, some black and white plates, green striped straws to match the sprinkles, some white bowls from Valentines Day, and some extra pink napkins leftover from another party.
Try walking through your house the next time you are planning a party. You might be surprised at the things you find to use that are already there in your home.
For the Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix (16.25 oz.)
- 1 box cherry Jello (3 oz.)
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup cherry juice/water
- ½ cups chopped maraschino cherries (10 oz.)
For the Frosting
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons Bacardi Margarita Mix
- 24 cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Drain the cherry juice into a measuring cup and add water to equal 1 cup. Pour into a mixing bowl with the cake mix, eggs, oil, and Jello. Beat on low for 1 minute, then 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Stir in the chopped cherries by hand. Spoon into 24 cupcake liners.
- Bake for 18 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Beat the butter for 2-3 minutes in a mixing bowl.
- Add the powdered sugar a little bit at a time. Then slowly add the margarita mix. Beat for a minute or two or until creamy. Frost cupcakes. Top with extra cherries and sprinkles if desired.
- Store in a loosely sealed container on the counter for 2-3 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 200Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 34mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 0gSugar: 25gProtein: 1g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
Now to make this an even better party, I am joining with 19 other awesome bloggers who have cupcakes for you today too!!! You need to check out all the adorable and tasty cupcakes they have made. They are truly a talented group of ladies.
An American Cupcake in London