Layers of chocolate and caramel drizzles turn these easy Caramel Mocha Cupcakes into a decadent treat. Delicious way to enjoy a coffee drink in a fun cupcake.
Prepare to be led astray. From your diet that is.
These easy chocolate cupcakes will definitely have you coming back for another one in a hurry.
When I bake cupcakes or cakes, I just can't do plain. It's not in my nature to make a plain cupcake with plain frosting. Yes, I know that's what some people want.
If you are reading this and shaking your head yes at this statement. I have options in the recipe for you, so keep reading.
Last week I had to make a dessert for a meeting that my husband was going to. The idea for the ultimate chocolate cupcake has been swirling around in my head ever since I had a caramel mocha at our local coffee shop.
Every time I get a specialty coffee drink, I like to turn it into a fun cupcake at some point. That's how these Salted Caramel Mocha Brownie Cups, these Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes, and these Toffee Mocha Cupcakes all happened.
Any time there is a meeting or event, I try to use that as an excuse to bake all the crazy ideas I have in my head. As much as I love sweets, I just can't eat too many of them anymore. The older I get, the slower my metabolism gets. It's no fun!
How to make Caramel Mocha Cupcakes:
Mix together a dark chocolate cake mix, a package of instant chocolate fudge pudding, eggs, oil, and cooled coffee in a large mixing bowl. You will not taste the coffee in these cupcakes. When you add coffee to chocolate baked goods, it enhances the chocolate flavor more.
Spoon the cupcake batter evenly into 24 cupcake liners. Bake the cupcakes and then let them cool completely.
Stir together some dark chocolate chips and hot heavy whipping cream until it is smooth and creamy. Let it cool for a few minutes before spooning it onto the tops of the cooled cupcakes. Let the chocolate set.
Mix up a batch of this Salted Caramel Frosting to swirl on top of the cupcakes. An icing bag and icing tip 1M will create an easy bakery style swirl on your cupcakes.
Serve these sweet Caramel Mocha Cupcakes with extra caramel drizzles and chocolate covered coffee beans, if desired.
One bite and you will declare these the best chocolate cupcakes around.
If you like these Chocolate Caramel Cupcakes, be sure to check out these cupcake recipes:
- S'mores Frappuccino Cupcakes - a graham cracker crust and marshmallow frosting make these chocolate cupcakes so delicious
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Cupcakes - cherries and chocolate chips add a fun surprise to these easy cupcakes
- Peanut Butter Oreo Cupcakes - the hidden Oreo cookie and fluffy chocolate frosting on these sweet peanut butter cupcakes will satisfy your sweet tooth
- Monster Cookie Dough Cupcakes from Wishes and Dishes - the sweet peanut butter frosting on these cupcakes is packed with chocolate chips and M&M candies. Yum!
- Chai Latte Cupcakes from A Spicy Perspective - these sweet spice cupcakes with spiced cream frosting are a delicious treat for parties
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It's a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what's new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Caramel Mocha Cupcakes recipe and video:
For the Cupcakes
- 1 - 15.25 ounce dark chocolate cake mix
- 1 - 3.4 ounce box instant chocolate fudge pudding
- 1 cup cooled coffee
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup oil
For the Chocolate Topping
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 batch Salted Caramel Frosting
- caramel topping
- 24 chocolate covered coffee beans
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place 24 cupcake liners in 2 - 12 count muffin pans.
- Mix the cake mix, pudding mix, coffee, eggs, and oil in a large bowl.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the cupcake liners. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
- Microwave the heavy cream for 30 seconds. Pour on top of the chocolate chips and let sit for 1 minutes. Stir until melted and creamy. If needed, heat again for 15 seconds.
- Let the chocolate cool until it is thick enough to spread. Place a spoonful on top of each cooled cupcake and spread it out. Let the chocolate set.
- Use a piping bag and icing tip 1M to swirl the frosting on top of the cupcakes. Serve with extra caramel drizzles and chocolate covered coffee beans, if desired. Store in a sealed container.
*To make the cupcakes a little more plain, use water in place of the coffee and skip the chocolate topping and extra caramel drizzles.
(Original photo from January 2011)