Congo Bars

Slightly under baked Congo Bars are a great recipe to make the next time you have company over.
Congo Bars - slightly under baked chocolate chip blonde brownies  are the best!!!
All through high school, I made these gooey bars of deliciousness
for every youth group event that needed food.
It was must my sure fire recipe that never failed me
and was always asked for.
Then I went to college, got married, had kids
and forgot about these treats…
until a few months ago when
I was going through some old recipes.Now you may think they are just a blonde brownie
what is the big deal?
Congo Bar chips
I can’t explain it…
they just have a slightly different taste.
But boy are they good!!!
I just had to whip up a batch to savor
the old memories:-)
Congo Bars, chocolate chip blonde brownies
Now I like mine just slightly underbaked…
not gooey, but not cake like either.
And I think they taste better after sitting covered over night.
But that is just me :-)
Congo Bars

Yield: 16 bars

Congo Bars

Chocolate chip blonde brownies

2 3/4 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter, room temp
2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
11.5 ounce package semi sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside. Combine butter and sugar using a mixer until blended.
  2. Add eggs, one at a time to sugar mixture. Add vanilla and mix. Add flour and mix until combined. Stir in chips by hand. Spread in greased 13x9 pan and bake for about 30 min. Let cool before cutting. Makes 16 bars.

Comments

I like them underbaked too, just a tad…going to copy this recipe now, I love cookie bars! 1 lb of brown sugar, how can you go wrong?!?

Oh how I LOVE the Congo bar!!! Thanks for reminding me of my wonderful memories, all including the deliciousness.. and for sharing the recipe. I don’t know where mine could possibly be!

Your bars look delicious! I will be trying them. I’m your newest follower and really enjoy your great blog. You have a wonderful looking family!

Ok, one thing I like more than cookies is bars. Brownies, blondies and anything in between! These look and sound fantastic. I’m soo glad you linked these up at Foodie Friday!

5. Lisa says

I’m always on the search for a perfect blondie recipe, I’ll give these a try. They look yummy! (I’ll add a few butterscotch chips I have in with the chocolate chips.)

6. Erin says

These are in the oven now…. Can’t wait to try them! Luckily some made it in the oven… The batter was so delicious!

I just make these earlier and let me tell you………AWESOME!!!! This recipe is a KEEPER! I think I might thow in some pecans the next time just to see how the combination of chocolate and pecans will be. I’m sure it will be just as delicious as this above recipe. Definitely give this recipe a try! Think you will agree that it’s a keeper!

I grew up eating almost this exact same recipe made by my maternal grandmother. She called them Congo Squares. And the recipe does say to slightly underbake “they will seem not done, but they are.” These ARE absolutely divine. If you haven’t made a pan full, do so. You won’t be sorry!

9. Hillary says

I just made these today and they did not come out chewy or underbaked at all! :( I baked them for 30 minutes as advised…but they probably would’ve done better at about 20-25 minutes to come out with the same consistency I think!

10. Dee says

These look amazing! Has anyone tried them without the chocolate chips? My daughter can’t have chocolate, but she loves plain blondies and haven’t found a recipe that we like!

I have never made them without chocolate chips, but I’m sure the plain blondie would be good. You could also substitute any candy she can eat. Can she have white chocolate chips or butterscotch chips?