These fudgy brownies loaded with colorful M&M’s will disappear in minutes. Just like your favorite candies, these M&M’s Brownies are “melt in your mouth” delicious. This is the perfect homemade brownie recipe for weeknight desserts, birthday parties, or lunchbox treats.
Brownies are one of those desserts that just about everyone loves. Whether you make from a box mix or make homemade brownies, they satisfy that chocolate craving.
I used to use box mixes all the time until I made these chocolate chip brownies. Then I realized that made from scratch brownies are just as easy to make.
Over the years I have made so many different variations of brownies using candies, frostings, and brownies with marshmallows on top. But these simple fudge brownies loaded with M&M’s candies are one of my favorites.
This brownie recipe is made with cocoa powder and brown sugar which makes these homemade brownies so rich and delicious. Fudge brownies are great on their own, but adding M&M’s gives the brownies a fun crunch and a bigger chocolate flavor.
You are going to love these fudgy brownies with M&M’s because they are easy to make with simple ingredients, and they taste amazing! For an extra special dessert, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of hot fudge to the warm M&M’s brownies.
Ingredients for Fudge Brownies with M&M’s
These homemade brownies are made with simple ingredients. Dark cocoa powder gives these M&M fudge brownies a rich dark color! Using almond extract gives the brownies a slightly different, but amazing flavor. I LOVE almond extract, but if you do not care for it, please use vanilla!
- Butter – Unsalted and softened. Set the butter out at least 30 minutes ahead of time, so it is easier to cream.
- Brown Sugar – Sweetens the brownies and gives them a moist fudgy texture.
- Eggs – Adds moisture to the brownie batter.
- Almond Extract – Gives these fudge brownies a delicious flavor. You can also use vanilla extract if you prefer that instead.
- Salt – Balances out the sweetness.
- Baking Powder – Provides a small lift as the brownies are baking.
- Flour – Gives structure to the M&M brownies.
- Dark Cocoa Powder – I like using dark cocoa powder in most of my baked goods because it gives such a great flavor, and I love the dark rich color. Regular cocoa powder works just fine too.
- Mini M&M’s – Small M&M’s mean more chocolate candies get spread all through the brownies. The regular sized M&M’s can also be used. If you want a different candy, try this Oreo Reese’s brownie.
How to make M&M’s Brownies
The batter for these fudgy brownies comes together using just one bowl. The best part about this recipe is that the brownies can be made in minutes. In less than 40 minutes, you can be enjoying warm fudgy brownies for dessert.
- Beat the softened butter and sugar in a large bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs and extract and beat again.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until a soft brownie batter forms.
- Add M&M’s and stir gently.
- Spread the brownie batter in a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with more M&M’s before baking.
- Let the brownies cool to room temperature before cutting them into squares. The fudgy chewy center will set up as the brownies cool.
- Flavored M&M’s – Use any of the other M&M’s to give these brownies a great flavor. Some of my favorites to add to brownies are peanut butter, pretzel, brownie, mint, and caramel.
- Candy – Swap out the M&M candies for other candies. Reese’s Pieces, Snickers, Andes Mints, and Reese’s peanut butter cups are great options.
- Chocolate Chips – White, milk, semi-sweet, dark, or peanut butter chips are all great options.
- Marshmallow – Swirl marshmallow fluff into the brownie batter before baking.
- Nuts – Stir 1 cup of your favorite chopped nuts into the brownie batter to add a fun and delicious crunch to the homemade brownies.
- Frosting – Spread dark chocolate frosting on top and sprinkle with M&M’s.
Tips and Tricks
Do NOT over mix the batter once you add the dry ingredients. Stir or mix just until the flour is gone. Over mixing will add excess air and the brownies could bake cakey.
Line your baking dish with foil or parchment paper if you want to lift the brownies out easily.
Keep an eye on your brownies as they bake. You do not want to over bake them. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out with moist crumbs on it.
Use a plastic knife to cut the brownies cleanly.
How long do these brownies last?
The brownies will keep for 2-3 days in a tightly sealed container.
Can you double this recipe?
Yes, double the ingredients and spread them in a greased 9×13 pan. The baking time should be about the same.
Can you freeze these brownies?
Yes. Let them cool completely, then wrap the entire pan or individual brownies in plastic wrap and foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw on counter before serving. The moisture from thawing may make the M&M’s discolor as they thaw out.
More Brownie Recipes
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies
- Rainbow Brownies – copycat Cosmic Brownies
- Truffle Brownies
- Zucchini Brownies with Frosting
- Coffee Brownies
Other M&M Desserts
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (see note below)
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups mini M&M's candies, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray. You can also line the pan if you want to lift the brownies out easily.
- Beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the eggs and extract and mix again.
- Stir together the salt, baking powder, flour, and cocoa powder. Slowly beat into the butter mixture until combined.
- Add 1 cup mini M&M's and stir gently with a spatula or spoon.
- Spread into the prepared pan. Top with the remaining candies. Bake for 23-25 minutes.
- Remove and let cool completely before cutting into 24 squares. Store in a tightly sealed container.
**If you do not care for the taste of almond extract, you can use vanilla in place of it.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 104mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post for M&M’s Brownies was first published September 2015. The post was updated and republished August 2021.