These fun and delicious Chocolate Covered Pumpkin Twinkies are filled with a cinnamon buttercream. Make a batch for fall parties and watch everyone smile.
I am so excited that it is now officially Fall.
The weather has even been cooperating for the most part. We have been enjoying some cool and rainy days. Now I am just waiting for the leaves to start turning beautiful colors. Throw in a bonfire, and it will be just about perfect.
My kitchen is all about the fall smells too. Baking all the pumpkin things is something I look forward to each fall.
How many of you get excited to bake with pumpkin each fall?
I also have 1 or 2 more pumpkin recipes still waiting to be made. Can you say pumpkin obsessed??
For some reason it is the only time of year that I actually bake with pumpkin…so I am just making up for lost time. I mean the last time I baked pumpkin treats was a whole year ago. I must be pumpkin deprived.
Can you be obsessed and deprived at the same time? LOL!
I have a twinkie pan that has been collecting dust in my cupboard, so I figured it was time to put it to use. Don’t worry I washed it first. LOL!
I also have multiple cans of pumpkin just waiting to be used.
So chocolate covered pumpkin twinkies it is.
For the Twinkies
- 1 white cake mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
For the Cinnamon Marshmallow Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup marshmallow cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk
For the Topping
- 1 - 16 ounce package chocolate coating
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray Twinkie pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the cake mix, buttermilk, eggs, oil and flour. Mix on low speed for 1 minute. Add the pumpkin and spices and beat on medium speed for 2 more minutes.
- Spoon batter into pan. Do not fill more than 1/2 full. Bake for 14 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 2-3 minutes, then carefully remove from pan. Finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Cream the butter, cream cheese and vanilla for 2-3 minutes. Add the marshmallow cream, salt, and cinnamon and beat again.
- Slowly add the flour and powdered sugar until all incorporated and thick. Add the milk and beat on medium high until creamy.
- Use a piping tip to fill the twinkies in 3 different places with the frosting.
- Melt chocolate in microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted and smooth.
- Drop twinkies one at a time into the chocolate, use a spoon to cover the entire twinkie, then carefully pick it up with an angled spatula or fork.
- Tap the spatula gently on the side of the pan to remove the excess chocolate.
- Place on wax paper to set. After you have finished dipping all the twinkies, drizzle the tops with the leftover chocolate.
- Store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
**You could also just bake them as cupcakes for 20-22 minutes. Cool. Scoop out the center. Fill with frosting and then spoon some melted chocolate on top.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 433Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 168mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 46gProtein: 5g