These soft and puffy Butterscotch Pumpkin Whoopie Pies filled with a salted caramel buttercream are the perfect dessert for fall parties and events.
I am questioning my pumpkin sanity right about now. I know you are probably done and over the orange stuff since I have shared a few pumpkin recipes this year.
The other day I was at the library looking at cookbooks while the kids were looking for books to read. I found the recipe for these pumpkin cookies in a book called Big Fat Cookies! Yeah, that book came home with us.
It was pointless to resist making them!
I couldn’t wait to get in the kitchen and bake a batch of these butterscotch pumpkin cookies. They were so soft and delicious and perfect.
But then I realized that the I had leftover frosting from making these Salted Caramel Mocha Brownie Cups, and I knew it would be perfect thing to make pumpkin whoopie pies with.
I filled the cookies with the sweet frosting and took a bite. I’m pretty sure I heard angels singing while I devoured the pumpkin cookies with frosting.
Why can’t I get over the pumpkin treats? I am thinking it is the warm spicy smell that comes from the oven while the pumpkin treats bake.
How to make Butterscotch Pumpkin Whoopie Pies:
- Mix together all the dry ingredients and set the bowl aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until it becomes smooth and lighter in color.
- Add the oil, pumpkin, and vanilla and mix again.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until a soft dough forms. Stir in the butterscotch chips.
- Spoon the cookie dough onto a baking sheet leaving room around each one.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove and let the cookies cool on the pan for a few minutes.
- Gently remove them and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Fill the soft pumpkin cookies with Salted Caramel Frosting and enjoy.
The smell of sweet fall in our home makes me feel relaxed and at peace. Time to go bake more cookies…
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also have a fun Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
For the Whoopie Pies
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 batch Salted Caramel Buttercream
For the Whoopie Pies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until it becomes smooth and lighter in color. Mix in the oil, pumpkin, and vanilla.
- On low speed slowly start adding the flour mixture to the pumpkin batter.
- Stir in the butterscotch chips by hand.
- Scoop spoonfuls of batter onto a baking sheet. Space the batter mounds at least 2 inches apart. Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until the tops are firm.
- Cool on baking sheet for a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Spoon frosting on half the cookies and top with the other half. Store in a sealed container.
Recipe adapted from Big Fat Cookies book.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 323Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 302mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 1gSugar: 34gProtein: 3g
*The post for Butterscotch Pumpkin Whoopie Pies was first published on October 7, 2011. The photos and post have been updated, and it was republished on October 22, 2019.