You are going to love this Caramel Apple Tart! It has a hidden layer of cheesecake under an apple, caramel, and pecan topping. This turtle pie is the perfect sweet treat for the holidays because it is so easy to make.
Looking for a new dessert to share at holiday parties this year? We have you covered with an apple tart that is so good, it will be gone before you know it! Get ready to enjoy all the flavors of fall in one pan.
I started with our apple pie cheesecake and jazzed it up with a rich turtle topping. Oh my goodness! The extra toppings gave it the most wonderful taste.
It's so easy to make too! All you need are some simple ingredients and about 20 minutes of time to make and put it in the oven. Once it cools, it can be topped in just a few minutes.
Why We Love this Apple Tart
This caramel apple tart is the perfect dessert to bring to your next holiday party because it is pretty AND delicious! And this recipe really is super easy to make, so you can make it in no time at all.
You can taste sweet caramel and apples in every bite, and the cheesecake layer adds an extra creamy texture that will have you coming back for more!
The chocolate and pecan layer adds a delicious turtle flair to this easy apple cheesecake pie. It is the perfect combination of sweet and salty.
If you are looking for apple desserts that will impress your guests this year, start by making this caramel apple cheesecake tart and watch their eyes light up after one bite.
Main Ingredients Needed
You will only need a few ingredients to make this easy caramel apple tart recipe. It tastes so good, you just might want to double the recipe.
- Pie Crust - A store bought pie crust or homemade pie crust works great in this easy tart.
- Cream Cheese - We like to use full fat cream cheese in our cheesecakes. Make sure to set it out ahead of time, so it can soften.
- Caramel Ice Cream Topping - You are going to use this in place of sugar to sweeten the cheesecake filling. You can use regular caramel or salted caramel.
- Apple Pie Filling - To save time I used one can of store bought pie filling for the topping in this tart. You can also use 1 ½ cups of this stovetop apple pie filling.
- Topping - Kraft caramel squares, chocolate chips, and chopped pecans give this caramel apple tart a delicious turtle flair.
How to make a Caramel Apple Tart
Make this easy caramel pecan apple pie with our easy step-by-step instructions. Your guests will be so impressed by your baking skills when they see this delicious turtle tart on the dessert table.
- Unroll a refrigerated pie crust and place it in a 10 inch tart pan.
- Press edges into the sides of pan or crimp if desired.
- Refrigerate the pie crust until needed.
- Beat the softened cream cheese until light and creamy.
- Add caramel ice cream topping and mix again.
BRUCREW TIP: Use a salted caramel topping if you want a salted caramel apple tart.
Assemble and Bake
- Spread the cheesecake filling into the bottom of the pie crust.
- Spoon the apple pie filling gently on top of the cheesecake batter.
- Cover the edges of the pie crust and bake.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until completely chilled.
- Unwrap the caramel candies and place in a small pan with the heavy cream.
- Heat over low-medium heat, stirring constantly until melted and creamy.
- Remove and let cool 10 minutes.
- Spoon evenly over the top of the apple pie filling.
- Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave. Use 50% power, so you do not scorch or burn the chocolate as it melts.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the caramel and top with chopped pecans.
- If you do not have a tart pan, you can also use a deep dish pie plate to make this recipe in.
- Don't like pecans? Feel free to switch them out for walnuts, almonds, or another nut that you do enjoy.
- Serve a slice of this apple tart with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and more caramel topping.
- Keep it simple and swirl some of this easy whipped cream recipe on top.
Refrigerator - Store the uneaten pie in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. After a few days, the caramel will start to get a little bit watery. The tart will still taste delicious though.
Freezer - Place the pie in the freezer until frozen. Wrap the frozen pie tightly in plastic wrap and foil, then place in a freezer safe bag or container. Keep the pie frozen for 2-3 months. To serve, defrost the pie in the fridge overnight.
Can this apple tart be made ahead of time?
Yes it can. This apple tart recipe is an easy one to prepare 1-2 days ahead of time. For best results, make the apple cheesecake layer and then refrigerate until the day you need it. Then add the caramel, chocolate, and pecan topping a few hours ahead of time.
How long does the apple cream cheese tart need to cool?
It will need about an hour after baking to cool on a wire rack, then another 2-3 hours in the fridge to chill completely.
More Awesome Holiday Pie Recipes
- Chocolate Coconut Pie
- Easy Cherry Pie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- Apple Crisp Pie
- Cream Cheese Pecan Pie
- No Bake Chocolate Pie
- Traditional Pumpkin Pie
- Cookies and Cream Pie
- Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for Apple Turtle Cheesecake Tart was first published November 2015. The post and photos were updated and republished November 2021.