The Best Homemade Apple Pie Filling only takes minutes to make and makes your apple desserts taste amazing. You will never buy canned apple pie filling again because this is such an easy recipe to make.
Use this homemade pie filling to make this Apple Crisp Pie for dessert.
Last summer I started making my own homemade stovetop apple pie filling, instead of buying the canned pie filling at the store.
I do have to admit that I will still use canned pie fillings because sometimes it’s just more convenient, and I do like them. But if you have the extra time, I recommend giving this homemade filling a try.
The best apple pie filling does not have any of the preservatives or extra ingredients in it. It is very easy and takes about 20 minutes from start to finish.
How to make the Best Homemade Apple Pie Filling:
- Cut your peeled apples into bite sized chunks. You can use your favorite apples for this filling. I usually choose a Gala apple because that’s what my kids like the most.
- Combine some sugar, water, and cornstarch to make a glaze. Let this boil for about a minute before stirring the apple chunks into the hot mixture.
- Bring it back to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer for about 12 minutes.
- Let it cool in the pan for an hour or two.
- Spoon the apple pie filling into jars or a large bowl and place in the refrigerator to continue cooling.
Ways to use Homemade Apple Pie Filling:
There is really no wrong way to use this apple pie filling.
- You can use it in this Cheesecake Apple Pie. Three layers of sweet goodness, plus ice cream is amazing. Just saying.
- Put it on top of this Vanilla Bean Cheesecake. The sweet homemade filling is perfect for the creamy cheesecake.
- The layers of pie filling, cheesecake, and crumble make these Apple Pie Cheesecake Parfaits amazing.
- Or you can just dig in with a spoon like I did. It’s also delicious on top of yogurt, toast, or breakfast pastries.
What would you make first with this apple filling?
More easy apple desserts to make:
- Toffee Apple Pie Cookies
- Apple Pie Cheesecake Bars
- Apple Snickers Cake
- Apple Praline Cake
- Spiced Apple Cake
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #brucrewlifebaking, so I can see all the Inside BruCrew Life recipes you are making.
- 5 cups peeled,chopped apples
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- Toss the apples with lemon juice and set aside.
- Combine the sugars, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a saucepan. Stir in water. Bring mixture to a boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the apples and bring to a boil again. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool completely. It will set up as it cools. Keep refrigerated in a sealed container for 4-5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 73mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 31gProtein: 0g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post and recipe for this Homemade Apple Pie Filling was originally posted on June 4, 2013. The post has been updated and republished on October 8, 2018.