Learn how easy it is to make your own Homemade Whipped Cream with just three simple ingredients and a few minutes. This recipe for whipped cream is creamy and delicious and will hold up for piping fancy swirls onto cheesecakes, trifles, coffee, and so much more.
Homemade Whipped Cream:
I grew up using and eating store-bought whipping topping because it was convenient. We always had a containers of Cool Whip in our freezer. It was one of those ingredients that I never really thought about making.
In fact, I never realized how easy it was to make your own homemade whipped cream until just a few years ago. We were out of whipped topping, and since there was heavy whipping cream in the fridge I decided to give it a try.
I couldn’t believe how easy it was to do. All you need is a chilled bowl, three ingredients, and about 5 minutes to make whipped cream from scratch.
This easy Cool Whip substitute tastes absolutely amazing and is perfect for adding swirls of goodness to all your favorite desserts. There is something about eating Strawberry Shortcake with a big dollop of sweetened whipped cream. Am I right?!?!
What is whipped cream?
It is exactly what it sounds like. Heavy cream that has been beaten on high speed until it is light and fluffy. Adding sugar and flavorings will sweeten the whipped topping.
What you need:
You only need three basic ingredients when you are making a batch of homemade whipped topping. There are no crazy ingredients that you can’t pronounce in this recipe.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – This has more than 30% fat than regular cream. The higher fat content will whip up faster, and the peaks will hold up longer.
- Powdered Sugar – This sugar dissolves easier in the cream. It also has a little bit of cornstarch in it to prevent clumping, so it works well as a stabilizing agent in the whipped cream. Use monkfruit sweetener to make a sugar free whipped cream.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds a nice boost of flavor to the classic whipped cream.
BRUCREW TIP: Change up the flavor of whip cream by using different kinds of extract, spices, or liquors.
How to make Homemade Whipped Cream:
- Place metal mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 15-20 minutes. Using a chilled bowl and metal beater will help the cream whip up faster.
- Pour ingredients into chilled bowl and beat on slow speed until the sugar dissolves. Increase the speed to high and beat until stiff peaks form, 1-2 minutes.
- Spoon or pipe onto your favorite dessert. A disposable piping bag fitted with icing tip 1M will let you create bakery style swirls.
Pro Tip: Do not over beat the whipped cream. If you beat the cream for too long, it will result in butter.
It is so easy to change up the flavor of this easy whipped cream recipe. Pick a flavor below and add it to the recipe instead of the vanilla.
- Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream – add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Chocolate Whipped Cream – add 3-4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- Chai Whipped Cream
- Expresso Whipped Cream – add 1 teaspoon espresso powder and 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- Cinnamon Whipped Cream – add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Peppermint Whipped Cream
- Orange Whipped Cream – add 3/4 teaspoon orange extract
- Caramel Whipped Cream – add 1 Tablespoon caramel ice cream topping
What is the difference in soft, medium, and stiff peaks?
- Soft Peaks – They will barely hold the shape when you lift the whisk or beater out of the mixture.
- Medium Peaks – A slight, sturdy peak will form and then drop as you lift the whisk out, but it will not lose its shape.
- Stiff Peaks – The cream will stay in place (stands straight) when you lift the beater out.
How much does it make?
Heavy whipping cream doubles in volume as you whip it. So 1 cup of heavy cream will become 2 cups of whipped topping.
Will whipped cream hold overnight?
Yes. It can be prepared up to 24 hours ahead of time. The homemade whipped cream will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator if kept in a tightly sealed container or piped onto a dessert.
Why is my whipped cream runny?
Heat can affect the outcome of whipped cream. Make sure your cream is very cold. Using a chilled bowl and whisk attachment will also ensure your heavy cream beats up light and fluffy.
If you mix it too little, the whipped cream will be runny. Mix it too long, and it will make butter.
What to serve it with:
- Chubby Hubby (Ice Cream Pie)
- Nutella Drink
- Mini Turtle Cheesecakes
- No Bake Strawberry Pie
- Vanilla Bean Cheesecake
- Fruit Parfait
- Mini Coconut Cheesecake Bites
- Chocolate Oreo Milkshake
- No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Be sure to follow us on our social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a Facebook group and would love for you to join. Share recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. Request to join HERE.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chill metal bowl and whisk attachment in freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Pour cream and powdered sugar into chilled bowl.
- Beat mixture on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Use immediately or store in refrigerator in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 58Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 4mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 0g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.