Homemade Whipped Cream is easy to make with just three ingredients. This stabilized sweet whipped cream recipe is the perfect topping for cheesecake, trifles, coffee, and so much more.
I grew up using and eating store bought whipping topping. We always had a container of Cool Whip in our freezer for adding to our desserts.
In fact, I never realized how easy it was to make your own whipped cream from scratch until a few years ago when I was working on my cookbook.
In just a few minutes, you can have an easy Cool Whip substitute that tastes amazing and holds up for piping swirls of goodness on your favorite desserts.
Now, I’m not totally giving up on Cool Whip. In fact, I still like it and use it from time to time because it is convenient.
But there is something about eating Homemade Strawberry Shortcake with a big dollop of sweetened whipped cream. Am I right?!?!
What is whipped cream?
It is basically what it sounds like. Heavy cream that has been beaten on high speed until it is light and fluffy.
What you need:
You only need three basic ingredients when you are making a batch of whipped cream.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – This has more than 30% fat than regular cream. The higher fat content will whip up faster, and the peaks will hold up longer.
- Powdered Sugar – This sugar dissolves easier in the cream. It also has a little bit of cornstarch in it to prevent clumping, so it works well as a stabilizing agent in the whipped cream.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds a nice boost of flavor to the classic whipped cream.
PRO TIP: Feel free to change it up and use any extract, spice, or liquor to flavor your whipped cream.
How to make Homemade Whipped Cream:
- Place metal mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Pour ingredients into chilled bowl and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form, 1-2 minutes.
- Spoon or pipe onto your favorite dessert.
Pro Tip: Do not over beat the whipped cream. If you beat it too long, it will result in butter.
What is the difference in soft, medium, and stiff peaks?
- Soft Peaks – They will barely hold their shape when you lift the whisk or beater out of the mixture.
- Medium Peaks – A slight, sturdy peak will form and then drop as you lift the whisk out, but it will not lose its shape.
- Stiff Peaks – The cream will stay in place (stands straight) when you lift the beater out.
How much does it make?
Heavy whipping cream doubles in volume as you whip it. So 1 cup of heavy cream will become 2 cups of whipped cream.
Will whipped cream hold overnight?
Yes. It can be prepared up to 24 hours ahead of time. The homemade whipped cream will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator if kept in a tightly sealed container or piped onto a dessert.
Why is my whipped cream runny?
Heat can affect the outcome of whipped cream. Make sure your cream is very cold. Using a chilled bowl and whisk attachment will also ensure your cream beats up light and fluffy.
If you mix it too little, the whipped cream will be runny. Mix it too long, and it will make butter.
Flavored Whipped Cream:
- Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream – add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Chocolate Whipped Cream – add 1 Tablespoon dark cococa powder
- Chai Whipped Cream
- Expresso Whipped Cream – add 1 teaspoon espresso powder and 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- Cinnamon Whipped Cream – add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Peppermint Whipped Cream
- Orange Whipped Cream – add 3/4 teaspoon orange extract
- Caramel Whipped Cream – add 1 Tablespoon caramel ice cream topping
Recipes using homemade whipped cream:
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chill metal bowl and whisk attachment in freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Pour cream and powdered sugar into chilled bowl.
- Beat mixture on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Use immediately or store in refrigerator in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 58Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 4mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 0g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.