Apple Spice Cake is a delicious bundt cake to make for fall. This moist apple cake is loaded with fresh apples and plenty of warm spices. It's easy to make and will make your kitchen smell amazing as it bakes.
Some of my favorite things about the cooler fall weather are wearing jeans and sweatshirts, going to bonfires, and of course, baking with apples. A few of our favorite recipes is this apple bundt cake and these apple blondies.
Since we had quite a few extra apples this week, I decided to make a caramel apple pie and another apple cake with a warm chai flavor.
Why You Will Love This Cake
This apple spice cake is the perfect fall dessert. A sweet glaze and chopped pecans make it look absolutely gorgeous. It would be great for fall parties or bake sales.
- Easy to make. All you need is one large bowl, a food chopper, and a bundt pan to make this cake recipe.
- Makes your kitchen smell like fall. Apples and plenty of warm spices give off a delightful fall smell as the cake bakes.
- Moist and delicious! Sour cream, apples, AND applesauce add so much moisture to the batter.
The next time you are craving a spice cake made with apples, use this recipe. You are going to love the flavor combination.
Our apple spice cake recipe is easy to make with pantry ingredients you may already have on hand. The spices and extracts give the cake a delicious chai taste.
- Butter - Unsalted butter gives you control over how salty a recipe is. Make sure to set it out ahead of time, so it is softened.
- Brown Sugar - Sweetens the cake and helps it be softer and moister.
- Applesauce - Gives moisture and more apple flavor to baked goods.
- Sour Cream - Adds moisture without thinning the batter down too much. Plain Greek yogurt can also be used.
- Spices - A mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, cloves, and ginger give the apple cake a chai flavor.
- Apples - You will need 3-4 apples depending on the size. Choose apples that hold up well when baked such as Honeycrisp or Granny Smith.
How to make an Apple Spice Cake
You can make this homemade apple cake in minutes. Follow our easy instructions and you will have one baking in your oven in no time at all.
- Beat the softened butter and sugar in a large bowl until smooth and creamy. Add the sour cream, applesauce, eggs, and extracts and mix again. The batter will have a strange look to it.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Shred the apples using a food processor. Don't worry about the peels. You can leave those on and just shred them too. Gently stir them into the cake batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased bundt pan and bake for about 52 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
- Let it cool for 10 minute in the pan before flipping it out onto a plate. Finish cooling it before drizzling an orange glaze on top.
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans before the glaze sets up, if you want a small crunch on top.
Keep the cake in a loosely sealed container on the counter for a few days. The glaze may soak into the cake the longer it sits.
An unfrosted cake can be wrapped tightly and frozen for 1-2 months. Make sure the cake is cooled completely before wrapping it up. Thaw it overnight in the fridge, then bring to room temperature before adding the glaze.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to spray your bundt pan with nonstick baking spray. My favorite is Bakers Joy because the mixture of oil and flour is easy to spray into the pan . You can also grease and flour the cake pan.
- Do not over mix the batter. Once the ingredients are incorporated, stop the electric mixer. Over mixing cake batter can result in a denser cake.
- Shred the apples in a food processor to give this cake the right texture. If you want a cake with bigger chunks, make this apple walnut cake instead.
- Substitute 3-4 teaspoons of apple pie spice instead of the other spices.
- Add ½ cup raisins to the batter if you like fruit in your apple cake.
- This apple cake can be made 1 day ahead of time. Cover it tightly and store at room temperature.
- Skip the glaze and serve slices of cake with swirl of chai whipped cream.
You want to choose apples that hold up yet soften as they bake. Gala, Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, and Fuji are good choices. Use a mixture of sweet and tart to give the cake the best flavor.
Make sure you read the recipe and choose the method that is best suited for the baked good. To chop apples, use an apple slicer to remove the core, then cut into small chunks. For grated apples, place slices in a food processor and pulse quickly.
The sides of the cake will start to pull away from the pan, and a skewer inserted into the center of the cake will come out with just a few moist crumbs.
You can leave the peels on for this apple cake recipe. The pieces and peels are small enough that they will soften and bake into the cake.
More Apple Recipes
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*The post for Apple Spice Cake was first published September 2018. The post was updated and republished October 2022.