Dark Chocolate Banana Muffins: ripe bananas, sour cream, and two times the dark chocolate makes these muffins the perfect breakfast or after school snack.
All I want to do is bake with pumpkin and apples right now but, my family would revolt and give me grief if I actually did that. So, I am trying to space the fall treats out with some normal baking.
Although, it is the middle of September, so the fam should know it’s game on pumpkin! I even pulled out some of my fall decorations this morning and started putting pumpkins and leaves on our shelves. It’s kind of funny though because when you walk inside from 90 degree weather, the last thing you expect to see are pumpkins and scarecrows staring at you.
Oh, well. I’m embracing the hot weather and balancing it out with a cinnamon roll pumpkin cake in the oven and fall scented candles burning all the time. I’ve got this!
I’ve also got another fun banana recipe for your. You know my obsession with bananas right. It’s probably my all time favorite thing to bake breakfast treats with. I love making sour cream banana bread, banana toffee scones, or this banana split coffee cake to have on hand for easy grab and go breakfasts.
My kid’s favorite thing for me to use bananas in are muffins though. A few years ago I made these double chocolate banana muffins, and the kids went crazy for them.
Since I had a few extra over ripe bananas on the counter, I decided to make some more easy chocolate muffins. This time I made a few tweaks and changes to the recipe. I used dark chocolate cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips and some sour cream to add more moisture. They turned out so good, that I think these are now my new favorite chocolate muffin!
One handy tip to remember. Baked banana treats always get better with age. These Dark Chocolate Banana Muffins are good fresh from the oven. BUT trust me…they are even better if you let them sit overnight in a sealed container. Just pop one in the microwave for about 10 seconds and devour the gooey goodness!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Dark Chocolate Banana Muffins Recipe and Video:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups dark chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with 18 cupcake liners.
- Beat the butter and sugars until creamy. Add the egg, sour cream, banana, and vanilla and beat again.
- Stir together the cinnamon, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, and flour. Slowly add this to the banana mixture until everyone is combined. Do not over mix.
- Stir 1 cup dark chocolate chips into the batter gently. Spoon the batter evenly into the liners.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top of the muffins. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs on it.
- Remove and let cool in the pan for 2 minutes, then remove the muffins from the pan and place on a wire rack until cooled.
- Store in a tightly sealed container. Microwave 1 muffin for 10 seconds to reheat.
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
- Silicone Spatulas, 8.5" Small Heat Resistant Non-Stick Flexible Rubber Scrapers Bakeware Tool Essential Cooking Gadget (5 Pack)
- Wilton Recipe Right Nonstick 12-Cup Regular Muffin Pan (2, STANDARD)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 297 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 41mg Sodium: 218mg Carbohydrates: 36g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 18g Protein: 4g
- 5 Ingredient Flourless Banana Bread from The BakerMama
- Best Banana Bread Pancakes from FoodieCrush
- Banana Oatmeal Muffins from Well Plated