Looking for a moist banana bread recipe like grandma used to make? Look no further. This Sour Cream Banana Bread is our favorite and we have been making it for years.
Sour cream adds a delicious, moist texture to this easy sweet bread, so every bite will literally melt in your mouth.
The number one food item we buy every week are bananas. Some weeks our son eats them as fast as we can buy them. Then other weeks they sit there getting brown and spotty for banana bread.
I realized recently that I have never shared my absolute favorite moist banana bread recipe with you. This is the one that I use as the base for all my wild and crazy versions like this coffee banana bread or this cookies and cream banana bread.
Why Make This
Banana bread with sour cream is easy to make, very delicious, and will remind you of grandma's house.
You will love the sweet flavor and tender texture of this sour cream banana bread recipe. It is so moist and delicious that it will melt in your mouth. The sour cream adds a great flavor that takes it over the top.
It is the perfect sweet bread to serve for breakfast, brunch, or a snack any time of day. It's sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
Plus, this banana bread is the perfect base for adding fun ingredients and mix ins. Have fun and get creative with what you have in your pantry.
You will only need a few simple ingredients, plus some extra ripe bananas to make the ultimate moist banana bread.
- Granulated Sugar - You can also use a mixture of granulated and brown if you like.
- Unsalted Butter - Let the butter sit out until softened. You should be able to cream the butter and sugar easily.
- Vanilla Extract - Adds a good flavor to the recipe.
- Eggs - The "liquid" in this recipe.
- Sour Cream - Adds moisture to the batter and give the bread a soft moist texture.
- Ripe Bananas - The riper the bananas are, the better they are for a loaf of banana bread. See our tips on how to ripen green bananas for baking if yours are not ready yet.
- Salt - Balances out the sweetness in the bread.
- Baking Soda - Provides the lift in the sweet bread as it bakes.
- Flour - Gives the banana bread structure. See how to measure flour correctly so your bread turns out every time.
BRUCREW TIP: Spray your bread pan with nonstick spray and sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar before adding the banana bread batter. Trust me! It adds such a delicious crunch to the sides of the banana bread that everyone will be fighting for the end pieces.
How to make Sour Cream Banana Bread
This super moist banana bread recipe only takes about 5 minutes of prep work and uses ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. Our easy sweet bread is loaded with flavor and will quickly become your go-to recipe.
- Beat the sugar, softened butter, and vanilla in a large bowl until light and creamy.
- Add eggs, mashed bananas, and sour cream and mix again.
- Slowly beat in the dry ingredients until the banana bread batter forms.
- Spread the batter in a greased pan and bake. Make sure to check the bread during the last 5 minutes of bake time. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out with a few moist crumbs on it.
BRUCREW TIP: If the top of the sour cream banana bread is getting too dark, cover it with foil during the last 10-15 minutes.
Let the bread cool completely before covering it with plastic wrap. It will keep for 3-4 days on the counter if properly stored.
I recommend enjoying a few slices of warm banana bread with butter before letting it cool though.
Tips and Tricks
- Use really dark and ripe bananas for the best banana bread flavor.
- Spray your bread pan with nonstick baking spray so the bread comes out easily.
- Mash the bananas very well before adding them to the batter. A fork and a plate works great for this.
- Do not over mix the batter! Too much mixing can make the bread tough.
- This bread gets better with age. Trust me and enjoy it on day 2 and 3.
- Add 1 cup of chopped nuts to turn this simple recipe into banana nut bread.
Banana Bread Variations
We love to add different ingredients to this ultra moist banana bread to create new flavors. Try one or more of some of these ingredients. It's so fun to try new versions.
Although, beware that banana bread variations can bring out the voice in people. Are you team nut or team plain?
- Chocolate Chips - any flavor will work
- Dried Fruits or Veggies - cranberries, zucchini, pineapple, carrots
- Nuts - walnuts, pecans, macadamia nuts
- Candy - toffee bits, candy bars, sprinkles
- Cookies - chop up your favorite cookies and stir them into the batter
- Peanut Butter - creamy or crunchy
Can you use this banana bread recipe to make muffins?
Yes you can. Divide the batter into 24 cupcake liners and bake at 350 degrees for 22-24 minutes.
What can I substitute for sour cream in banana bread?
Greek yogurt and mayo are great substitutes for the sour cream. You can also use buttermilk.
Does sour cream banana bread freeze well?
It sure does! Wrap a full loaf or individual slices in plastic wrap and foil, (the layers prevent freezer burn) then place in a freezer safe bag or container for 2-3 months.
- Carrot Bread Recipe
- Zucchini Bread with Pineapple
- Pull Apart Apple Bread
- Banana Bread with pineapple
- Banana Almond Bread
- Funfetti Banana Bread
- Ginger Banana Bread
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for Sour Cream Banana Bread was first published April 14, 2016. The post and photos were updated and republished February 26, 2021.