Marshmallows and hot chocolate are a fun addition to popcorn balls. These Hot Chocolate Popcorn Balls are easy to put together and would be perfect for any Valentine’s party this week.
We like to make fun treats from time to time around here. Not that you are surprised by that fact at all because most of the fun treats get shared with you too. But sometimes those fun treats get made and and eaten before they ever make it here.
These popcorn balls were a treat I made for my kids last year. I have been wanting to make them again, so I could share them, but before I knew it a whole year had passed.
This past week I made another batch of popcorn and set aside what I needed to make these yummy treats.
You are going to make them just like a rice krispie treat, but with some white chocolate and hot chocolate mix added to the melted marshmallows.
I found that the easiest way to form the balls was to gently press the warm mixture into a buttered 9×13 pan. Do not press it tight at all! Pressing rice krispie treats too firmly makes them hard, and I have a feeling it would do the same to these.
The pan is just so you can measure each ball without eyeballing it. Use a hot knife to cut the mixture into 12 even squares.
Take each square and gently form it into a ball. Again, do not press it too tightly together! While the mixture is still soft, press a striped straw down into the center and form the ball around it. Be gentle. Then place them on a piece of wax paper or cupcake liner to cool completely.
Now you could go ahead and eat them just like this. But I have this crazy habit that doesn’t let me do anything plain. I love to top our hot chocolate with whipped cream and sprinkles, so I decided to mimic that look on the popcorn balls.
A drizzle of white chocolate, a few sprinkles, and of course more mini marshmallow bits turns these plain popcorn ball into popcorn balls with style.
Stay up to date on all the BruCrew recipes here:
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 6 Tablespoons hot chocolate mix
- 1/4 cup white chocolate melting wafers
- mini marshmallow bits
- Place the mini marshmallows and butter in a large saucepan. Heat over low/medium heat until melted and creamy.
- Stir in the white chocolate chips and stir again until melted. Add the hot chocolate mix and stir again.
- Pour over the popcorn that is in a bowl. Stir to cover all the pieces.
- Dump the popcorn mixture into a buttered 9x13 pan. Spread it out gently, but do not press it down .
- Cut the mixture into 12 even squares. Form each square into a ball, but do not press it together too firmly.
- Press a straw down into the center of each one. Let set until completely cool.
- Melt the white melting wafers in the microwave according to the package directions. Spoon into a plastic baggie and cut one corner off. Drizzle the tops of each ball with melted chocolate.
- Top with sprinkles and mini marshmallow bits. Let set. Store in a sealed container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 145mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
More ways we like to enjoy hot chocolate in our baking: