This decadent Peppermint Mocha Bundt Cake is the perfect holiday dessert. It is easy to make, looks impressive, and tastes amazing. Trust me, this chocolate cake recipe will not disappoint you!
There is nothing better than sipping on a peppermint mocha hot chocolate on a chilly winter day. As I was getting ready to bake the other day I realized those flavors would be awesome in a cake as well.
To give the chocolate peppermint bundt cake a mocha flavor, I made a rich chocolate ganache using espresso chocolate chips and dark chocolate chips. It was the perfect flavor to compliment the chocolate cake and peppermint bits.
Why This is the Perfect Holiday Cake
A peppermint mocha bundt cake is one of our favorite holiday treats because it only takes minutes to throw together, yet everyone will think you were in the kitchen for hours. The secret to this cake is that you start with a box cake mix.
The doctored up cake mix topped with chocolate mocha ganache and candies makes an impressive holiday dessert that everyone will love. Trust me, it will be the hit of your Christmas dinner table this year.
One bite and your guests will be asking for more. The candy cane bits add just enough festive flair while adding an extra bit of crunch and sweetness at the same time!
Main Ingredients Needed
For the chocolate bundt cake I kept it simple and used a cake mix. Adding sour cream and a pudding mix is what makes it so dense and delicious. Plus, a doctored cake mix is the easiest way to bake a fabulous looking dessert.
- Chocolate Cake Mix - To get the intense color I used a dark chocolate cake mix. A regular chocolate cake will work too, it just won't be as dark.
- Chocolate Fudge Pudding Mix - Gives the bundt cake a great pound cake texture. Make sure you buy INSTANT pudding because the cook and serve will not work.
- Eggs - Binds all the ingredients together.
- Oil & Sour Cream - Makes the cake dense and delicious.
- Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer - Using coffee creamer is a great way to add flavor to your cake recipes.
How to make a Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake
This Christmas bundt cake comes together easily with just a few simple steps. It is an easy recipe to make ahead of time, so it is ready when your guests arrive.
Make Cake Batter
- Spray a bundt pan with nonstick baking spray, making sure to coat the pan very well. I prefer to use Baker's Joy over any other brand.
- Mix together the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, sour cream, and peppermint creamer in a large mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer for 2 minutes.
Bake and Cool
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake.
- Remove from the oven and let the cake cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes.
- Place a plate on top of the cake and flip the pan until the cake falls out onto the plate. Remove the pan and let the chocolate cake cool completely.
Decorate and Serve
- Heat the espresso chips, chocolate chips, and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute. Stir until melted and creamy. Let the chocolate mixture cool 5-10 minutes. You want the mixture to still be pourable, but not so runny that it runs off the cake.
- Add crushed candies to the top of the cake before the chocolate ganache sets.
Do I have to use the peppermint creamer?
No, feel free to use milk, half and half, coffee, or water in place of the coffee creamer. Basically any liquid that you want to use will work.
What if I don't like coffee flavored desserts?
Use all dark chocolate chips or semi-sweet chips instead of the espresso chips.
How long will this chocolate bundt cake keep?
This cake will keep for 1-2 days if kept in a sealed container on the counter. Keep in mind that the candy canes will start to soften and melt the longer the cake sits.
Can I make this cake ahead of time?
Yes, you can. I would recommend making just the cake just a few days ahead of time and storing it in a tightly sealed container, so that it stays moist.
If you are making this cake ahead of time, add the chocolate ganache and peppermint bits the day you are serving it.
Other Easy Holiday Recipes
- Peppermint Brownie Trifle
- Hot Chocolate Dip
- Peppermint Oreo Cookies
- Peppermint Brownies
- Mint Brownie Fudge
- Peppermint Tart Dessert
- Chocolate Peppermint Bars
- Peppermint Oreo Truffles
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
For the Cake
- 1 dark chocolate cake mix
- 1 - 3.9 ounce box instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup peppermint mocha coffee creamer (can use milk)
For the Topping
- ½ cup espresso chocolate chips
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2-4 tablespoons peppermint bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cup bundt pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Beat the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, sour cream, and coffee creamer in a mixing bowl until completely blended together.
- Spoon into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out mostly clean.
- Remove and let the cake cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes. Place a plate on top of the cake and flip the cake out. Cool completely.
- Place the espresso chips, chocolate chips, and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds in the microwave. Stir until melted and creamy. Heat an additional 15 seconds if needed.
- Let the chocolate glaze cool until it thickens. You want it to still be pourable, but not runny.
- Spoon over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with peppermint bits and let set.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 292Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 172mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.