Want to know a little secret?
I have never made puppy chow. Oh, I have eaten the good stuff, just never tried to do it myself. After seeing so many yummy kinds on the web, I got inspired to make some right away. And of course in true BruCrew fashion, it couldn’t be regular…I had to make it my own. My kids were so excited when I told them I bought the ingredients to make this Mocha Cappuccino puppy chow. Turns out they love this stuff too!!!
I am kind of in love with the Jif Mocha Cappuccino spread…like “eat it out of the jar with a spoon” kind of love! But today I melted it down with some chocolate chips and poured it over the cereal, then gave it a generous shake with some powdered sugar. I found those little espresso cups at the Dollar Tree. They have some fun little candies there, and you can’t beat the price.
Puppy chow is seriously so easy to make. I’m not sure why I never made some before. This won’t be the last time though. You just can’t beat a no bake snack that takes less than 15 minutes to prepare.
Go ahead and make up a big batch of this Mocha Cappuccino Puppy Chow for all your friends this weekend. It is the perfect sit and watch football and commercials kind of snack. Although once you taste it, I’m not sure you will want to take it with you though. You might want to hide in your closet just for you to munch on later!!! I can’t seem to get enough of this good stuff!
Just be careful…this stuff packs quite a sugar rush if you consume a big bowl late at night. Self control? I have none…because I also ate some of this for breakfast today!!
- 9 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Mocha Cappuccino Jif spread
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 bag Espresso candy cups (I found them at the Dollar Tree)
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips, Mocha spread, and butter. Microwave for 1 minute and stir. The mixture will be very thick. Stir in the shortening and heat for another 30 seconds and stir.
- Place the cereal in a large bowl. Pour the chocolate mixture over the top and gently stir in.
- Place the powdered sugar in a plastic bag. Spoon the chex mixture into the bag. Shake until everything is coated. Spread out on a wax paper lined tray and let set. Sprinkle with the espresso cups.
- Store in a sealed container for a week. Makes 9 cups snack mix.
*Chocolate covered coffee beans would work if you cannot find the candy cups.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 433Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 258mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 2gSugar: 39gProtein: 5g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
Here are a few more of our favorite snack mixes
that would be great for any parties.