This sweet and crunchy Strawberry Chex Mix is the perfect no bake snack. White chocolate coated Chex cereal with strawberry flavor and cookie crumbs is a fun way to change up the classic muddy buddies.
Have you ever made a muddy buddy Chex mix recipe? Depending on what part of the country you are from it might be called puppy chow, muddy buddies, reindeer chow, and or just sweet Chex mix. Whatever name you call this snack mix, it's delicious.
Snack mixes with cereal are a great way to make a sweet treat with things you have in your kitchen. I love finding ways to add new flavors to the chocolate coated mix. Some of our favorites are this brownie batter muddy buddies and this peanut butter cup puppy chow.
Did you know you can use a dry cake mix or brownie mix in place of some of the powdered sugar? It's a fun way to change things up. Just make sure you heat treat the dry mixes ahead of time.
Why You Will Love This
Adding shortbread cookie crumbs and dry strawberry cake mix to this easy sweet Chex mix gives it a delicious flavor. Turn it into a fun Valentine's Day treat by adding holiday M&M's!
- Quick and Easy treat - This sweet Chex mix is ready in minutes because you use a microwave. No baking or special tools required!
- Sweet Twist on Muddy Buddies - A coating of strawberry cake mix and shortbread cookie crumbs give it a strawberry shortcake flavor.
- Fun Color - The pink colors make it perfect for spring parties like Valentine's Day, Easter, or baby showers.
If you love the flavor of strawberry and vanilla, then you are going to love this strawberry Chex mix recipe!
All you need to make a bowl of this sweet strawberry Chex mix muddy buddies are a few ingredients and some fun mix-ins.
- Chex Cereal - You can use any variety of Chex cereal. The rice is our favorite because it has a plain flavor which allows the flavor of the strawberries and cookies to come through.
- White Chocolate - Use a good quality chocolate that you can melt in the microwave. We like the Ghirardelli melting wafers the best because they melt easily and taste great.
- Strawberry Cake Mix - Adds the strawberry flavor and color. Be sure to read how to heat treat the mix first.
- Shortbread Cookies - Adds a delicious strawberry shortcake flavor when combined with the cake mix. I usually use the Keebler original sandies.
- M&M's - These candies are totally optional, but the pink, red, and white candies add such a fun pop of color to the Chex mix.
How to Make Strawberry Chex Mix
This strawberry Chex mix recipe is so easy to make. Have 2 gallon ziplock bags and a baking sheet lined with wax paper ready to go before getting started.
- Combine the cereal and melted chocolate. Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl according to the package directions. Pour it on the cereal and stir until everything is coated.
- Divide the mixture into two containers. Spoon the chocolate coated cereal into 2 large Ziplock bags. (You can also use two bowls.)
- Shake on toppings. Add dry strawberry cake mix to one bag and crushed cookie crumbs to the other. Close and shake until everything is coated. Open the cookie bag and add the powdered sugar. Close and shake again.
- Add in any mix-ins. Pour one bag at a time into a strainer to remove any excess powder or crumbs. Dump onto a large tray and top with M&M candies.
Strawberry Chex mix muddy buddies really is best served right away, but it can be made ahead of time and stored for a few days. It will just start to soften after a few days.
On the Counter: Keep in an airtight container or bag at room temperature for 3-4 days.
In the Refrigerator or Freezer: Keep in an airtight bag in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to a month.
Tips and Tricks
- Heat treat the dry cake mix ahead of time before adding it to the snack mix.
- Want a stronger strawberry flavor? Add 1-2 teaspoons of dry strawberry Jell-o powder to the cake mix before shaking it onto the chocolate covered cereal.
- Add 1 bag of freeze dried strawberries along with the M&M's for even more strawberry flavor.
- White chocolate chips can be used in place of the melting chocolates. Just be sure to buy a good quality chocolate and melt it slowly in the microwave at 50% power.
- If you want to add some more color to the mix, you could add some pink gel food coloring to the melted white chocolate or use pink chocolate wafers. This will give the strawberry muddy buddies a more vibrant color.
- Using a bag to shake the cereal with the cake mix and sugar works out better than mixing it in a bowl. This way you will not break as many pieces of the cereal.
- Package the strawberry puppy chow in cute Valentine themed treat bags and tie with ribbon. These make "sweet" gifts.
Even though the name suggests it is for dogs, this is a sweet snack mix for humans that is made with cereal. It is also called muddy buddies or Chex mix.
Use 1 bag of white chocolate chips in place of the melting wafers. Just be sure it is a good quality chocolate and melt it at 50% power in the microwave.
Yes, they are the same snack mix with different names.
Other Muddy Buddy (Chex mix) recipes
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for strawberry shortcake muddy buddies was first published February 2016. It was updated and republished January 2023.
What do you mean by "heat treat the cake mix"? Thanks.
Since the dry cake mix isn't being baked, you can bake it in the oven to "kill" any bacteria that could be present. I have a blog post that shared how to do it with flour, and the cake mix is the same process.https://insidebrucrewlife.com/how-to-heat-treat-flour/ I hope that helps and you enjoy the snack mix.
Finally got to try this! I had lemon cookies on hand and thought they'd be fun in place of the shortbread and my-oh-my, they are! I also grew up with puppy chow but made with Crispix cereal rather than Chex. Great recipe!
Oh, I think that I would like it made with the lemon cookies too! I am so glad to hear you like this fun recipe!
Nancy | The Bitter Side of Sweet
Such a great idea using the cake mix for the flavoring! Will need to try that!
This looks fun. The only reason we call it Muddy Buddy is because that is how it is on the Chex box. 😉 Thanks for the recipe.
Medha @ Whisk & Shout
I love anything and everything strawberry shortcake flavored (especially those amazing ice cream bars!) so this looks amazing 🙂