A pan of this gooey Tomato Basil Pizza Dip and a box of crackers is a great after school or game day snack. This is one appetizer that won’t last long at parties.
(photos and post updated February 2018)
We are winding down from a fun summer here. School starts soon, and that means back to a schedule.
A schedule also means making and eating regular meals with a few snacks in between. We like to watch what our children are eating through out the day.
The down fall of being a dessert blogger means there is always sugary goodness lurking somewhere in our house. One of our rules last year was that our kids could only have fruits or vegetables as an after school snack.
Now occasionally I slip up and let them have a cinnamon caramel cookies before dinner. Those are the days I am looking for my best mom award.
But seriously, we want our kids to know the importance of eating healthy. Cookies here and there are ok, as long as it is in moderation. Our family is very active. The kids are all involved in sports, and my husband and I enjoy working out or going for a jog.
We want our kids will see the relationship between eating healthy real foods and getting enough exercise. If they develop these habits now, it will be easier for them to maintain them as they get older.
I have been trying to come up with a few after school options that my kids will love, but that incorporates the fresh ingredients that we want them to be getting. Pizza happens to be a huge favorite around here, but obviously that is more of a full meal and not a snack. I wanted a filling snack with healthy ingredients that wouldn’t fill them completely.
This tomato basil pizza dip is loaded with fresh tomatoes, basil, and lots of gooey cheese.
I feel good knowing our kids are getting some veggies and also some dairy from the cheese. Plus, since it’s pizza I know that all three will eat it without any complaining.
Sure enough, this dip and crackers disappeared within an hour of everyone getting home from school. I’m pretty sure this is one snack that our kids won’t mind us making all year long.
More delicious dip recipes that our kids will love:
- A pan of this Bacon Cheeseburger Dip from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts would disappear so quickly here.
- I love the sound of the caramelized onions in this Bacon Cheese Onion Dip from She Wears Many Hats.
- This easy Baked Apple Pie Dip from Mom on Time Out sounds like the perfect way to eat an apple a day.
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
- 1 - 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 - 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- crackers or chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch glass pie plate with nonstick spray.
- Stir together the tomato sauce, garlic, 1 Tablespoon basil, sugar, and salt & pepper.
- Spread the cream cheese in the bottom of the prepared pie plate. Pour the sauce on top.
- Top the sauce with the mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, 1 Tablespoon basil, and Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately with crackers or chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Triscuit. The opinions and text are all mine.