These Cinnamon Rolo Cookies are a fun twist on classic snickerdoodles. They are soft and chewy with just the right amount of cinnamon sugar coating. Plus, the hidden Rolo candy makes every bite absolutely gooey and delicious.
Some days you just need cookies! The problem is that on those days you really don't want to spend a ton of time baking.
On days like that I like to make cake mix cookies! They taste just like the real thing, but are much easier to mix up in minutes.
What Makes these Cookies Perfect
A caramel candy gives these snickerdoodle cake mix cookies a little bit of extra flair. These Rolo cookies are so easy and delicious that they will become your new favorite go-to cookie recipe.
Here's what makes this cake mix cookie recipe so special.
- Easy to make with just a few ingredients.
- Rolled in a sweet cinnamon sugar coating!
- Hidden Rolo candy in each one.
- The finished cookies stay soft for days!
This easy caramel cookie recipe has all of the elements of a delicious dessert. Your three main ingredients are a vanilla cake mix, cinnamon sugar, and caramel Rolos (secretly hidden inside).
- Vanilla Cake Mix - You will only use the dry cake mix powder. Do NOT follow the box directions.
- Butter - Set the unsalted butter out ahead of time, so it can soften.
- Cream Cheese - Makes cake mix cookies bake up soft and puffy.
- Egg - One will add the moisture needed to make cookie dough.
- Rolos - Makes the center of each cookie a gooey caramel delight!
- Cinnamon Sugar - Use store bought or make your own cinnamon sugar from ingredients at home. This coating is what gives these cookies a fun snickerdoodle taste and texture.
How to make Rolo Cookies
These caramel stuffed cookies are super easy and only takes a few minutes to prep. The hardest part is waiting for the dough to chill, so you can bake and eat one (or two).
Step One: Dough
- In a large bowl mix together the dry cake mix, softened butter, egg, and cream cheese. Beat until a soft cookie dough forms.
- Cover and chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
Step Two: Assemble
- Scoop the dough into 24 even portions.
- Roll each one into a ball.
- Press an unwrapped Rolo into the center of each ball. Form the dough around the candy.
- Roll each dough ball in cinnamon sugar.
Step Three: Bake
- Place 12 cookies on a cookie sheet and bake.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan for a few minutes.
- Use a spatula to gently place the cookies on parchment paper or cooling rack to cool.
- The dough for these cookies does need time to chill. I realize it makes the cookie process longer, but it really does make a difference in how the cookies bake/spread.
- While the cookie dough is chilling, unwrap the Rolo candies and set aside.
- Do not over bake these cookies. They will look under done when you take them out of the oven. Trust the recipe. The cookies will set up as they cool.
- The caramel stuffed cookies will be puffy when they come out of the oven. After they cool for 2 minutes, use the back of a flat spatula to tap the tops gently.
- Cake mix cookies have the best texture after they have cooled completely.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many cookies does this make?
We usually divide the dough into 24 large cookies. If you want more cookies, divide the dough into 36 balls and bake them for 9 minutes.
What is the best way to store cake mix cookies?
Place the cooled cookies in a tightly sealed container. Store on the counter at room temperature for 4-5 days.
You can also freeze the cookies for later. Place the cookies in individual bags or in a larger bag with pieces of parchment paper between the layers of cookies. Freeze for 1-2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight, then bring to room temperature before serving.
Can you make these ahead of time?
Cake mix cookies are a great dessert to make ahead of time because they stay soft for days. The dough can also be prepped 1-2 days ahead of time. Just keep it in a tightly sealed container in the fridge.
More Cake Mix Cookies
- Cherry Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
- Fluffernutter Cookies
- Peppermint Patty Cookies
- Snickers Stuffed Cookies
- Candy Cookies
- Cookies and Cream Cookies
- Peppermint Oreo Cookies
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for Cinnamon Caramel Cookies was first published October 2014. The post and photos were updated and republished September 2021.