If you love the original Rotel dip, you are going to love this easy Chicken Queso Dip. The hearty dip is perfect for game days, potlucks, or get togethers. Serve this this queso dip recipe with your favorite dippers and watch everyone devour it!
With three boys in our house, that means every Sunday afternoon there are football games playing nonstop. It doesn't really matter who is playing, although they love to watch the Bears play as much as they can.
One of our favorite things to make for football parties are cheese dips. We always make this no bake buffalo chicken dip and an easy queso dip with lots of chips. Both dips are ready in under 15 minutes and will disappear from the party table right away.
The easy two ingredient queso dip is amazing by itself, but there are times that I like to add a twist to it! Say hello to our favorite Rotel chicken dip!
Years ago we created this awesome recipe by adding seasoned chicken and sauted veggies to queso. It always gets rave reviews when we share it with our friends!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Easy to make on the stove top, microwave, or crock pot.
- Chicken fajitas give the classic queso dip a delicious twist.
- The cheesy goodness will disappear in a hurry every time you make it.
- Perfect appetizer for Super Bowl parties!
Main Ingredients Needed
Change up the classic two ingredient queso by giving it a delicious twist. Chicken fajitas are an easy way to stretch the dip and make it even more delicious.
- Veggies - Diced onions and bell peppers give it the fajita flair.
- Chicken - Feel free to use a rotisserie chicken from Sam's or Costco, chopped grilled chicken, or even canned chicken to make this easy dip.
- Fajita Seasoning - One small packet or about ¼ cup if you have a large container.
- Velveeta Cheese - Makes this queso dip so creamy and delicious.
- Diced Tomatoes - A can of tomatoes with green chiles gives the spicy flair. Do not drain the liquid!
How to make Chicken Rotel Dip
You can have a pan of this chicken fajita dip in your kitchen in under 15 minutes. The recipe is so easy to make in just a few steps. I do recommend making a double batch because once your family tastes it, it will disappear very quickly.
- Sauté diced onions and peppers in olive oil in a skillet over medium heat until they are soft and tender.
- Add cooked chicken and fajita seasoning to the pepper and onion mixture. You can use a store bought rotisserie chicken to save some time on this dip recipe. I have even used canned chicken or grilled chicken breast in a pinch before.
- Place a block of Velveeta cheese and a can of diced tomatoes with green chiles in a large pan over medium heat. Stir until it is melted and creamy.
- Gently stir the fajita chicken mixture into the Rotel queso dip.
- Immediately spoon into bowls, top with green onions, and serve with your favorite chips or veggies.
How to Serve
Our favorite way to devour this Velveeta queso dip is by serving it with a sturdy corn chip. Look for chips that will hold a healthy scoop. No wimpy bites allowed here!
- Tortilla Chips
- Fritos - The scoops are best.
- Crackers or Pretzels
- Celery or Peppers
- Spice up or tone down the chicken and cheese dip based on what variety of tomatoes you use. Use hot, original, or mild depending on your preferences.
- If the cheese dip is too thick, stir 1-2 tablespoons of milk into it.
- Add a block of cream cheese if you want to add more creaminess or want to stretch the dip further.
- Change up the flavor profile by using ground beef, pork, or turkey sausage.
Can queso be made in a slow cooker?
Yes. Add the cooked veggies, chicken, seasoning, and Velveeta cheese in a crockpot on low heat for 3-4 hours or until cheese melts. Stir and serve.
Can you use other seasonings?
You can change up this queso by using ground beef and taco seasoning instead of the chicken.
Can chicken queso be made ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the dip 1-2 days ahead of time. Store the cooled dip in a covered container until the day you need it. Reheat on the stove top or in the crock pot.
How long does queso last?
If your family is like mine, you will not have any dip left to store. LOL! But if you do happen to have leftovers, store them in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Reheat on the stove top or microwave.
More easy Game Day Appetizers
- Pizza Bites
- Bruschetta Cheese Ball
- Honey Sriracha Meatballs
- Pepperoni Cheese Ball
- Buffalo Chicken Calzone
- Pizza Pinwheels
- Blackberry Brie Appetizer
- Easy Salsa Recipe
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup diced green pepper
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken
- 1 - 1 ounce packet fajita seasoning (4 tablespoons)
- 1 pound Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 - 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- Heat the oil in a skillet on the stove top. Add the diced peppers and onions and cook until tender.
- Stir in the chicken and fajita seasoning. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, combine the cubed Velveeta and can of tomatoes. Heat and stir on medium heat until creamy.
- Stir in the fajita chicken mixture. Serve warm with chips, crackers, or fresh vegetables.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 840mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 9g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*This Chicken Fajita Queso Dip was first published October 21, 2013. The photos and post were updated and republished January 18, 2019.