This Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe is loaded with creamy cheese and Frank's Red Hot sauce. Grab a box of your favorite crackers or vegetables and dig in to the best wing dip on the web.
Why Make Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip
One of my favorites is buffalo chicken dip. This famous appetizer is a party staple. It's creamy, spicy, and downright addictive. Plus, the classic dish is easy to prepare and can be served with all kinds of snacks like chips, pretzels, crackers, or veggies.
In our house, it is on the menu just about every weekend. In fact, it is so easy that our teenagers can make it just as quickly as we can.
- Crowd Pleasing - This is one of the first dips to disappear at super bowl parties!
- Perfect Appetizer - With so many dipping options, this is the most versatile dip. Scoop it with pretzels, Chicken in a Biscuit crackers, or carrots and celery sticks.
- Easy to Make - With only 6 ingredients, this no bake dip can be made in as little as 10 minutes.
- Incredible Flavor - Loaded with Frank's Red Hot and creamy cheeses, this dip is the perfect blend of cool and spicy.
Ingredients for Buffalo Dip
This easy buffalo chicken dip recipe is made with simple ingredients that you may already have in your fridge or pantry.
- Cream Cheese - One block of full fat cream cheese gives the dip a creamy base.
- Hot Sauce - When we make buffalo chicken recipes we use Frank's Red Hot Sauce. You can also use buffalo wing sauce.
- Ranch Dressing - The traditional Buffalo flavor is blue cheese dressing. This is a preference issue. We prefer ranch. You do whatever makes you happy!
- Garlic - Adds a little bit of flavor. You can used garlic powder or minced garlic.
- Chicken - We usually keep canned chicken in our pantry just for this buffalo chicken dip. You can also use shredded rotisserie chicken or finely diced grilled chicken.
- Cheddar Cheese - Gives the dip the cheesy texture. Feel free to use a mild, medium, or sharp shredded cheese.
- Optional Toppings - Green onions, hot sauce drizzles, and blue cheese crumbles add a little pizzaz to the bowl of dip.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
This chicken wing dip is so easy to mix together. Feel free to make it mild or spicy, depending on how much hot sauce you use.
- Add the cream cheese, hot sauce, dressing, and garlic to a pan. Mix everything together until it looks like a paste. A hand held mixer or even a fork works great for this.
- Heat over low-medium heat until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the canned chicken and shredded cheese gently. Continue heating over low-medium heat stirring until the cheese is melted.
- Open your bag of chips or crackers and dig in. It's that easy.
BruCrew Tip: If you like spicy food, keep the amounts that are shown in the recipe. If you prefer a little less spice, I would recommend only using ¼ cup of Franks's Hot Sauce.
Storing Leftover Chicken Dip
Buffalo chicken dip can be made ahead of time and can be heated up when you are ready to serve it.
In the Refrigerator - Store the cheese dip in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
In the Freezer - Place any leftover dip in a freezer safe container or bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours and reheat as directed.
To Reheat - Place the dip in a saucepan over low-medium heat or in microwave safe container and heat until melted and creamy again.
Tips and Tricks
- Garlic adds the extra punch that is perfect in this dip. Feel free to roast some garlic or use minced garlic instead of the powder for extra flavor.
- Keep it easy and use canned chicken in this buffalo dip. Remember to stir it gently because it is more fragile than diced chicken. You can also use any type of shredded chicken for this dip. Rotisserie chicken or grilled chicken breasts are great options.
- Grate a block of cheese for a smoother texture. Sometimes pre-shredded cheese can leave a gritty texture.
- Ranch dressing versus blue cheese dressing is always a hot topic when you make a buffalo chicken recipe. We prefer ranch dressing, so that's how we make it. It's totally fine if you use blue cheese.
- If the dip looks greasy, heat the mixture a little longer stirring constantly until everything melts together.
- Spoon it into a baking dish, top with extra cheese, and bake it. Frank's original recipe calls for it be baked at 350° for 20 minutes.
Make Buffalo Chicken Dip in a Crock Pot
This buffalo chicken dip is perfect for heating in a crock pot. Stir together the cream cheese, hot sauce, dressing, and garlic with a mixer or fork until creamy.
Gently stir in cooked chicken and shredded cheese, cover, and plug it in. The game day dip will be ready in 1 ½ - 3 hours, depending on if you heat it on high or low.
Making this cheesy dip in a small slow cooker makes it easier to transport to parties or game day events. Plus, it stays warm for the entire party or event.
Any type of shredded cheese works for this easy dip recipe. We usually use all cheddar cheese, but you could do Colby, Monterey jack, mozzarella, or a mixture of all the above.
Pretty much anything is fair game. We love eating ours with pretzels, crackers, tortilla chips, peppers, or celery sticks. Bonus: If you eat this buffalo chicken dip with veggies, it counts as a low carb appetizer.
Or stuff it inside this buffalo chicken calzone for a fun after school snack or easy dinner.
Hot sauce is just a mixture of peppers and vinegar, and buffalo sauce has melted butter or oil mixed into it. Either works in this recipe.
More Easy Dip Recipes
- Pepperoni Alfredo Pizza Dip
- Tomato Basil Dip Recipe
- Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Hot Corn Dip Recipe
- Easy Salsa Recipe
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*The post was first published April 2018. The post and pictures were updated January 2022.