Salted Caramel Mocha Brownie Cups

Salted Caramel Mocha Brownie Cups - mocha brownies with a hidden caramel Hershey kiss and topped with a salted caramel butter cream   http://www.insidebrucrewlife.com

I have a huge confession to make today.

Believe me, my head is hung in complete shame!

I just did something that always bugs me when I see it in the store!

I was driving the kids to school this morning…
and I remembered that I had to stop at Walmart afterwards.
Now this is not normally a problem.
EXCEPT…
I get up in just enough time to throw on a hat and head out the door.
Yup you guess it.

I drop my kids off while wearing my pajamas!

It is the only place that I will actually go out while wearing them.
My logic is that no one actually sees them because I don’t get out of my van.

I really thought long and hard about why I needed to stop.
Unfortunately it was a stop that had to be made right then….
it couldn’t wait until later.

Why oh why did I wear the green and blue plaid pj’s?
This would not have been so bad if I had on the black sweats.

I pulled my hat down really low and ran in.
This was probably the only time in history that I have been in and out
of Wally World in UNDER 10 minutes.

Thank goodness I didn’t run into anyone that I know.
There is one girl that works there that I do know…
and yes, she was working.
BUT, I was able to sneak past.
I even walked the long way back to my car just to avoid any kind of eye contact.

Let’s all think happy thoughts right now…
I am blocking this trip from my memory by focusing on cupcakes.
Better yet how about some
Salted Caramel Mocha Brownie Cups?

Salt, Caramel, Coffee, and Chocolate!

Yup, I’m definitely in a much happier place now.

One bite from these and all will be made right in your world.
(even a trip to Walmart in your pj’s…but we won’t talk about that EVER again)

Salted Caramel Mocha Brownie Cups

Yield: 15 brownie cups

Salted Caramel Mocha Brownie Cups

Chocolate brownies filled with caramel Hershey kisses and topped with a salted caramel butter cream.

For the Brownies
1 brownie mix (for a 9x13 pan)
2 Tbsp. instant coffee
1/4 c. hot water
1/2 c. oil
3 eggs
15 caramel kisses
For the Buttercream
1 c. butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. caramel ice cream topping
1 tsp. sea salt
4 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. milk

For the Brownies
  1. Preheat oven to 350*. Dissolve the coffee in the water. Mix the brownie mix, coffee water, oil and eggs until just moistened. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 - 3/4 full. Bake 22-24 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs on it. Cool in the pan for 3 minutes, then press a caramel kiss into the center point first. Cool 5 more minutes. Carefully remove to a wire rack and cool completely. Frost with Salted Caramel Butter Cream. Drizzle with extra caramel and sprinkle with more salt. Makes 15 brownie cups.
  2. For the Buttercream
  3. Stir the sea salt into the caramel topping and set aside. Cream the butter and vanilla for 3 -4 minutes. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar. It will be very thick. Pour in the caramel and milk and beat again.

Comments

Jocelyn, you crack me up! These look amazing . . . and yes, a little cupcake goes a long way to help make your days better! :)
    Hope you have a great day!!
    Camille @ SixSistersStuff

I’m gonna try these ~ caramel kisses are on my grocery list as of right now. You’d fit right in our Wally World in Kansas ~ I’m always seeing what I think are pj’s. Can’t believe it!!

First, these cupcakes are amazing and would probably cure most things. Second, that totally cracks me up. However, my luck would have it I would have ran into 3 people I knew…you got lucky!! Just hope nobody was taking pictures of you and putting them on that people of walmart website. ehhehheehe!!

4. Walking by Faith says

Haha! Don’t worry! I’m sure we’ve all made those trips to the store before. ;) Too funny, and these brownie cups look to yummy!

Kim @ Little Rays of Sunshine
    morrowsunshine.blogspot.com

Sounds delicious! I may make some for Halloween.

And – you wouldn’t happen to have a recipe book, would you? I mean YOUR recipe book, one for sale, with all of these delicious treats in it? If so let me know how to order one.

Ha that’s funny, you fit in with the rest of the people at Walmart then! lol! Someone should have taken a pick of you and put it on that “people of Walmart” website lol! Just kidding :) I’m sure they’ve seen ALOT worse in there. Your cupcakes look AMAZING! I love love love salted caramel. So much.

Just found your recipe via Pinterest. I am making these TODAY! Salted Caramel is my favorite addiction. You have made me so happy today! Hope you have a fabulous day too! =)

Jocelyn, your brownie cups look amazing, and I love your story — It’s good to know that you’re “human”. If I thought you went out every day in a June Cleaver dress and pearls I think I’d have to hate you (a little) *wink*

Jenn

OMG… these are soooo good!!! I did add a pinch or so more of the sea salt because I didnt feel like I could taste a little in every bite. I used the dark chocolate ghiradelli mix cause its on price cut @ Target for only $1.99 and I love dark chocolate!

Thanks for this recipe!!!! Totally inspired! (caramel frosting was AMAZING!!!) I tried it today and the only things I changed were:

I used Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake mix (as I felt the Brownie mix would be too dense for me.

I used 2 tbls of coffee (I looove coffee flavor)

I also did one batch with caramel kisses and the other without and I personally preferred without the kisses

As one person said she needed more salt for her taste so did I, so what I did was crushed more sea salt until it was very powedery (I think that should be a word) and then lightly sprinkled some on the top when they were all frosted and drizzled with caramel!!

Btw I totally do not blame you for going out in your PJ’s (I used to judge til I too did the Public Pj display) and dare I say it? Went out in my fuzzy bear paw slippers!

Do you think these would be OK if I left out the coffee? We are not big coffee fans at my house. I will probably be trying them w/o out it soon as I love anything caramel. Thanks so much for the recipe!

These are delicious! I gave them as teacher gifts and to some friends. I also did them as minis instead and they are amazing. Thanks for the recipe. I’m adding it to my official file and will be making them again (and again).

Does anyone know what would happen if I put the kiss in before baking or immediately after? I’d prefer to bite into a kiss that’s soft and melty rather that solid. Any ideas????

@Kathy…I put the kiss in just a few minutes after pulling it out of the oven and it melted it just slightly. They stay nice and soft in the brownie.

First off, Thank you thank you thank you!

These were a BIG hit at my house when I made them the other day. Your recipe was perfect I didn’t make any changes. :) I’ll definitely be making these again!

Thanks again,
    Taylor

I’ve made these several times. They are delish and everyone loves them! If I were making mini cups, how long should I bake them?

Anybody have a good source for the green straws? I want to make these for a fundraiser and I’m guessing my local Starbucks would object to me taking a big handful of theirs.

How many are you making? I would think that your local Starbucks would be ok, if you explained what you needed them for. You cut each straw and should get at least 4 mini ones from each large straw.

18. Jessa says

Curious question! What’s the difference between using instant coffee and, say, 2 tbsp of regular brewed coffee? Can’t wait to try these!

• Jocelyn says

The instant coffee is dissolved in a small amount of water so that it is stronger. You could make it with the brewed coffee or not at all. The coffee just enhances the chocolate flavor of the brownies.

19. Maureen says

I want to try your delicious looking frosting but have two questions. 1) is the caramel sauce a thin sauce like Hershey’s caramel syrup that can be used on ice cream or stirred into milk or is it a thick sauce that comes in a jar (like hot fudge sauce does)? 2) is the butter salted and at room temp? Thanks

20. Hailey says

Do you add the ingredients on the brownie mix box or just add the mix to the recipe? Like if the box says 2 eggs do I add 5 eggs total?