Our soft homemade berry coffee cake is bursting with juicy blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries, all topped with a sweet buttery streusel. Add a steaming cup of coffee or tea for a delicious start to your day.
One of my favorite things about summer is all the fresh fruit that is available. When our kids were younger we would always go to the farms and pick our fruit. Now that they are grown, I buy fruit at the store or the farmer's market.
This sweet breakfast cake has layers of soft cake, crunchy streusel, and mixed berries all baked together. You can actually use any fresh fruit that you like, but we love the combination of blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.
Why Make a Mixed Berry Coffee Cake
Whether it's for breakfast, dessert or just snacking - our berry coffee cake is sure to make your day sweeter! Soft, moist layers of sweet cake are filled with yummy mixed berries and finished off with a crunchy streusel topping.
- Irresistible sweet flavor. The combination of moist cake and sweet, juicy berries creates a delicious flavor that is hard to resist.
- Loaded with berries. The blue and red colors of the blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries stand out against the golden-brown coffee cake.
- Versatile treat. Enjoy this cake for breakfast, brunch, or dessert. It is also a pretty cake to serve at a fancy brunch or bridal shower.
This moist and delicious breakfast cake is made with a few simple ingredients. The berry coffee cake recipe is packed with mixed berries and topped off with sugary streusel.
- Granulated Sugar - Sweetens the coffee cake batter.
- Flour - We use all purpose flour in most of our recipes. Read our tutorial to learn how to measure flour correctly.
- Baking Powder - Allows the cake to rise as it bakes.
- Eggs - Binds the ingredients together.
- Milk - Provides the moisture needed to make a cake batter.
- Butter - Adds a rich buttery flavor to the cake.
- Berries - A mixture of fresh blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries gives each bite a juicy flavor.
- Streusel - A crumbly mixture made from flour, oats, brown sugar, and cold butter creates a delicious topping.
- Glaze - Whisk together powdered sugar and milk to create a sweet glaze. Drizzle it over the top of the breakfast cake.
How to make a Berry Coffee Cake
Whether you have it for breakfast or bring it to a special event, this mixed berry coffee cake will be a huge hit. Not only does it taste amazing, but you'll also love how simple it is to whip up.
- Make the cake batter. Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in the milk, eggs, and melted butter until the batter comes together. Spread the cake batter in a greased pan.
- Stir in berries. Drop an even amount of blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries on top of the batter. It's ok if the berries start to sink in.
- Add a Streusel. Cut the cold butter into the topping ingredients using a pastry blender. When it starts to come together, use your hands to clump the streusel into bigger pieces. Sprinkle the streusel all over the berries and cake batter.
- Bake and Glaze. Place the pan in a preheated oven. As it bakes, the cake will rise up around the berries and streusel creating pockets of goodness inside the cake. Let it cool on the counter after it is done baking. Drizzle a powdered sugar glaze over the top of the cooled cake.
On the Counter - Store the leftover coffee cake in a tightly sealed container on the counter for 1-2 days.
In the Refrigerator - The coffee cake will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days if sealed tightly.
In the Freezer - Cover and wrap the cooled coffee cake and place in a freezer safe bag or container. Freeze for 1-2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge or at room temperature for a few hours.
Tips and Tricks
- Don't over mix. This can cause the cake to bake up tough and crumbly.
- Use frozen fruit. If fresh fruit is not in season, buy frozen fruit. There is no need to thaw them before adding to the batter.
- Substitute with other berries. Use whatever berry or fruit that you enjoy. Peaches and strawberries are also great.
- Let it cool. Make sure the cake is completely cool before adding the glaze. A warm cake will make the glaze melt into the top of the cake.
Despite the name, coffee cake does NOT have any coffee in it. Coffee cake is a soft cake usually topped with streusel that you serve with coffee for breakfast or a snack.
Yes, any fresh berry will work in this cake. Or you could use all of just one berry if you like.
Toss the berries lightly with 1-2 tablespoons of flour right before adding them to the batter. The flour will absorb some of the fruit juices, helping them to stay suspended in the batter better.
We prefer using fresh berries for this recipe, although frozen can be used. Fresh berries provide a better flavor, color, and texture, but frozen berries are convenient and available year-round.
Other Easy Coffee Cakes
- Cherry Zucchini Coffee Cake.
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Banana Caramel Coffee Cake
- Banana Split Coffee Cake
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*This post was first published May 2013. The photos were updated June 2019, and it was republished June 2023.