Enjoy a Salted Caramel Mocha from the comfort of your own home. This delicious Starbucks copycat is easy to make with ingredients found in your pantry. For extra flavor and fun add extra caramel drizzles to the mocha latte recipe.
About this Recipe
One of my all time favorite coffee house drinks is the Salted Caramel Mocha that Starbucks used to have on their menu every fall. I fell in love with that seasonal drink after my first sip years and years ago.
Right now this salted caramel latte and this Starbucks pumpkin cream cold brew are my two favorite fall drinks. I can't get enough of either of them!!!
There are two problems with this coffee love of mine. 1. My wallet doesn't like to part with $5 each time I stop. 2. I heard a rumor that Starbucks is not bringing the caramel mocha back this year. I'm really sad that the sweet and salty coffee concoction will not be on the fall menu.
If you were a fan of this awesome drink, don't worry. I am going to show you just how easy it is to make a salted caramel latte at home. In just minutes, you will be sipping on a delicious caramel mocha and thinking about how much money you just saved. Booyah!
What is a Mocha Latte?
A mocha latte is a hot drink made with an espresso shot, steamed milk, and chocolate syrup.
Now you may be wondering what the difference is in a mocha and a latte. A latte is an espresso with steamed milk poured on top. A mocha is the same drink with chocolate syrup added to it. It is sweeter and has less of a coffee flavor because of the added syrup.
What You'll Need
What sets this salted caramel latte apart from other drinks is the sea salt sprinkle that goes on top. It's a blend of turbinado sugar and sea salt.
The topping is completely optional, so don't worry if you can't find these or don't have them on hand right now. The coffee drink still tastes amazing without it.
- Milk - You can use any variety of milk for your mocha. Whole milk will froth the best, but I prefer to use fat-free or 2% to reduce the calories.
- Caramel Ice Cream Topping - gives the drink a great caramel flavor and looks pretty drizzled on top.
- Hot Chocolate Mix - You can also use chocolate syrup in place of the powdered mix.
- Coffee - Use strong brewed coffee or espresso for best results. To make strong brewed coffee, increase the coffee grounds but not the water. You can also use a french press or espresso machine.
- Turbinado Sugar - This coarse raw sugar can be found in boxes or packets.
- Sea Salt -Make sure you use a coarse ground sea salt, or else your topping will be too salty.
The Starbucks salted caramel mocha also has toffee nut syrup in it. There are a couple online stores (Torani or Monin) that you can order it from if you want to add this to the coffee drink too.
How to make a Salted Caramel Mocha Latte
This mocha latte recipe can be made in less than 5 minutes. Heat everything together in a small pan for a few minutes, froth, and pour over hot coffee. Don't forget the whipped topping and caramel drizzles because it really does add a delicious flair to the coffee drink.
- Stir together milk, caramel topping, hot chocolate mix, and sea salt in a small saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until very warm. Do not let the steamed milk come to a boil.
- Use a handheld frother or a blender to pulse the mixture until it is foamy.
- Pour coffee in mug and top with steamed chocolate milk.
- Add swirls of Cool Whip or easy homemade whipped cream.
- Drizzle with caramel syrup and sprinkle with the sea salt and sugar mixture.
BRUCREW TIP: You can also heat the milk mixture in the microwave, if you want to make this mocha even quicker.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you froth milk for a latte?
To froth the milk mixture, you can use a hand held aerolatte, a blender, or a milk frother. The blender mades frothing steamed milk so easy. Even fat free milk can get a good froth going on that way.
You can also pour the cold mixture into a mason jar, tighten the lid, and shake until frothy. Take the lid off and heat in the microwave until warm.
What kind of milk do you use in a homemade latte?
You can use any kind of milk in this caramel mocha, so feel free to use whole, 2%, or fat free. Whatever milk you prefer or have on hand will work. Certain milks will froth less, but the taste will still be the same.
Can you make this dairy-free?
Yes, you can. Almond, soy, and coconut milk are great options. Top the latte with vegan whipped cream before serving.
Other Coffee Drink Recipes
- Thin Mint Latte
- Chocolate Latte
- S'mores Latte
- Peanut Butter Latte
- Rocky Road Latte
- Pumpkin Latte
- Cinderella Latte
- Nutella Latte
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for Salted Caramel Mocha Latte was first published on October 1, 2013. The photos and post were updated and republished August 10, 2021.