Keep breakfast simple with this easy coffee cake. This Sour Cream Coffee Cake is loaded with cinnamon sugar and has a crunchy streusel topping. It's a classic coffee cake recipe that you will make over and over again for breakfast or brunch.
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
This coffee cake recipe is one that I found in an old church cookbook years and years ago. It's one of those recipes that you can still taste and drool over even if it's been years since making it.
It had been a while since I had made one, so I couldn't wait to make this homemade coffee cake again. One bite and it confirmed to me that this is still the best sour cream coffee cake recipe ever! I'm pretty sure the double filling that I like to add is what makes it so incredible.
Usually I am a big fan of using baking mixes, but I love that this coffee cake because it is actually completely from scratch. And it's so easy to put together too.
But don't take my word for it. Try it out yourself! It's a a classic coffee cake recipe that you will make over and over again.
This classic coffee cake recipe uses simple pantry ingredients to make a soft, tender cake with a swirl of cinnamon sugar.
- Brown Sugar - Sweetens the filling.
- Butter - Unsalted butter allows you to have control over the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Sugar - Granulated sugar gives the coffee cake a sweet and tender crumb.
- Sour Cream - Gives the cake a dense, moist texture.
- Flour - Fluff then spoon and sweep the flour into the baking cup.
- Baking Powder - Provides the lift when the cake bakes.
How to make Sour Cream Coffee Cake
This sweet, buttery, and fluffy coffee cake has a cinnamon crunch that is so easy to make. Homemade coffee cake is the perfect thing to enjoy with a cup of coffee.
- Mix together the topping ingredients with the melted butter in a small bowl. Set it aside to harden and get crumbly, then stir and break apart.
- Beat the softened butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and sour cream and mix again.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture.
- Spread half the batter in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Top with half the topping mixture.
- Drop the remaining batter by small spoonfuls on top of the cinnamon sugar filling.
- Use a flat or angled spatula to gently spread the batter out, covering the streusel topping.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon sugar topping on top of the batter and bake until a tester comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack and let cool.
- Serve warm or add a glaze once it has cooled completely.
Now if you ask me, you should always add a drizzle of glaze to coffee cakes, pastries, or muffins. It's just the right thing to do.
But I realize not everyone agrees with me on this. This classic coffee cake is truly delicious with or without the extra glaze step. I just happen to prefer the sweet glaze.
- Glaze - Whisk together powdered sugar and milk, drizzle it across the top of the cooled sour cream coffee cake.
- Nuts - Add 1 cup of your favorite chopped nuts to the batter before spreading in the pan.
- Fruit - Gently stir your favorite fruit into the batter. Blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries are great choices.
- Greek Yogurt - You can use yogurt in place of the sour cream if you like.
- Counter - Store the coffee cake in a sealed container on the counter for 1-2 days.
- Refrigerator - The coffee cake will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days if sealed tightly.
- Freezer - Cover and wrap the cooled coffee cake and place in a freezer safe bag or container. Freeze for 1-2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge or at room temperature for a few hours.
Slices of this moist cake are served for breakfast or brunch with a cup of coffee.
No, there is no coffee in this classic coffee cake recipe.
Yes, it's an easy recipe to make early in the day or one day ahead of time.
More easy coffee cake recipes
- Easy Banana Coffee Cake
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Cake recipe
- Apple Crumble Cake
- Banana Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake
- Berry Coffee Cake
- Cherry Coffee Cake recipe
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
(original photo from January 2010)
*The post for this Sour Cream Coffee Cake was first published on January 26, 201o. The photos were updated July 2019, and it was republished July 2021.