Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Puppy Chow

Peanut Butter Cup Puppy Chow

It’s official.  Puppy chow is my new snack love!  I made Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Puppy Chow for the Super Bowl party we are headed to this afternoon…and it is amazing!!!

Let’s talk puppy chow for a minute.  No, it isn’t really for puppies, even though that is what the name suggests.  There have been so many comments all over pinterest about how chocolate isn’t good for dogs!  Hello!!!  People read the ingredient list…do you feed that stuff to your dogs?  Because I don’t. Well, unless she steals the bag of chow from the counter…which does happen here if we aren’t careful.  But I don’t GIVE it to her.  I have also seen it called Muddy Buddies, and to me that name isn’t much better, because who eats mud.  Right?

Whatever you call it, just call it good!!!   I mean it’s cereal coated in melty chocolate goodness and doused in a whole lot of powdered sugar.  How could you not love the stuff?

Peanut Butter Cup Puppy Chow

Now I know that I just posted the Mocha Cappuccino puppy chow recipe on Thursday, and here I am with another puppy chow for you today.  But in my defense, this Peanut Butter Cup Puppy Chow was way too good to wait any longer.  I just had to share it with you right away.  I mean it has 4 different kinds of Reese’s loving going on in it.  You can see why I couldn’t wait another day!

Ok, ok!  Fine, I had to share it right away for two reasons.  1.  It was amazing!!!!  You needed it.  2.  I didn’t want to wait…because I just knew one of my amazing blog friends might have this chow version up their sleeves…so I didn’t want to be disappointed when I googled it a week from now, and someone else had already made it.  :-)

Peanut Butter Cup Puppy Chow

For this batch of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Puppy Chow, I used more chocolate so the powdered sugar would stick a little bit heavier.  If you do not want so much powder, feel free to use a little less.  Have you used the CandiQuik melting chocolate before?  I love that it comes with it’s own melting tray.   I just opened the outer package and put the tray in the microwave.  Once the chocolate was melted, I added the peanut butter right to the tray and stirred it in.  It saves me one dish to clean later.  Gotta love that!

Peanut Butter Cup Puppy Chow

A yummy Reese’s snack that takes less than 10 minutes to make?  That’s my kind of treat!

Did I say I was taking this to a party today???

I think I feel a cold coming on…I better stay home and make it feel better with Peanut Butter Cup Puppy Chow :-)

Make sure you don’t miss any of the crazy baking
by following the BruCrew here:

FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM

If you ever have extra Reese’s just lying around, I suggest one of these recipes.
Hahaha!   That made me laugh…I never have extra Reese’s just for no reason!!!

Marshmallow Reeses Blonde Brownies

Marshmallow Reese’s Blonde Brownies

Peanut Butter Threat Cheesecakes 2

Peanut Butter Threat Mini Cheesecakes

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Puppy Chow

Yield: 10 cups

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Puppy Chow

Chex cereal coated with a peanut butter chocolate and tossed with 2 kinds of Reese's candies

8 cups Chex cereal
2 cups Reese's Puffs cereal
16 oz. vanilla CandiQuik
1/2 cup peanut butter (I used Reese's)
1 bag Reese's mini peanut butter cups (8 oz.)
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup mini Reese's pieces

1. Combine the cereal in a bowl and set aside. Divide the powdered sugar into 2 big ziplock bags and set aside. Place the CandiQuik in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir. Heat an additional minute, stirring every 30 seconds. Spoon the peanut butter into the melted chocolate and stir until smooth.
  2. Pour the melted chocolate over the cereal and stir until coated. Toss the peanut butter cups with the cereal. Spoon the mixture into the two ziplock bags evenly. Close and shake until thoroughly coated. Spread out on a parchment lined cookie sheet until set. Sprinkle with the Reese's pieces. Store in a sealed container for up to one week.

Shared with: Mix it Up, Sugar & Slice, Show Me Your Plaid, Melt in Your Mouth, Craftomaniac, Funday, Mealtime, Saltree Social, Tasteful Tuesday, Talent Show, Totally Tasty, Lil Luna, What’s In Your Kitchen, Wow Me, Round Up, What’s Cookin, Treasures, Time Out, Chic and Crafty, Weekend Wrap Up,

Comments

1. Becky W says

I’ve been wanting to make puppy chow for the first time … but, wow, this one sounds even MORE amazing with all of the Reese’s ingredients. Thanks!

• Jocelyn Brubaker says

This is the one that you should try first…puppy chow ramped up with Reese’s. It doesn’t get much better than that!!!

• Jocelyn Brubaker says

I have heard of it, but I had never made it until this week. It was so easy…and now I am addicted!!! Those Reese’s puffs are my fav cereal!

• Jocelyn Brubaker says

The extra Reese’s goodness in this chow made it so dangerous to have around! I’m not sure I ever want to have the original again :-)

• Jocelyn Brubaker says

hahaha! Yes, it is a very dangerous mix to have around. I have eaten way too much of it in the past day!!! Thanks for the pin!

• Jocelyn Brubaker says

Yes, very much the life of a blogger. I have made too many things and not shared them, and then someone else posts the same thing within a week or two. I have learned if I am super excited for a recipe, I need to share it right away! The Reese’s cups in this was the best part!!

• Jocelyn Brubaker says

Isn’t it funny how things have different names depending on where you are from? I had actually never heard of either until food blogging became big.

• Jocelyn Brubaker says

I just had a feeling either you or Nikki would be posting something so similar :-) This puppy chow was the most addictive one I have ever had…I think it is all the Reese’s!!!

• Jocelyn Brubaker says

If you love Reese’s, you will adore this puppy chow! But I’m warning you…you won’t be able to stop!!!

• Jocelyn Brubaker says

If you thought you had problems before, just wait until you have this! You won’t be able to stop! It’s the bomb!

2. Erin says

This is so delicious but both times I made it, I got a sticky, clumpy mess. Any thoughts on making it more evenly coated so I don’t get the big clumpy balls all melted together?

• Jocelyn Brubaker says

Hhhhmmmm you have me really curious because I have made a few times without it sticking together. Are you shaking on the powdered sugar right away while the chocolate is still wet? I had to work really quickly so the chocolate didn’t set up before the powder had time to coat it. If you have a big enough plastic bag, put the whole mixture in there with half the powder in the bottom and then half the powder on the top! You will have to shake it really good to move the powder around. I hope that helps!!!

• Jocelyn Brubaker says

Ok, I never thought to ask how hot your chocolate is. If it is really hot, it will melt those peanut butter cups for sure. I would definitely either refrigerate or freeze them for a few hours before making the snack mix. My chocolate wasn’t super hot, just melted. I did have to work really fast so it didn’t set up before the powdered sugar was shaken on.

I know you questioned why this candy was named Puppy Chow. I can answer this for you. More than 30 years ago…Purina Puppy Chow was a square type puppy food covered with a white powdered milk coating. This is when this candy recipe was first developed. It was first named People Puppy Chow…to distinguis it from the dog food. So in the words of Paul Harvey “Now you have the rest of the story”. This is my all time favorite snacking candy recipe! I can’t wait to try your version.

4. Rachel Gordon says

The only candiquick I can find is vanilla or chocolate. I can’t find the white chocolate kind. Any good substitution??

I was also confused with the “vanilla melting chocolate” item..This should be corrected in the recipe immediately..If I had not read the comments I would not have known it was an error.