Peanut butter swirls and chocolate covered pretzels add a fun flair to this Chubby Hubby Ice Cream Pie. This easy no bake pie recipe is the perfect summer dessert!
Growing up as a kid, I didn't like ice cream. I know, right? What kid doesn't like ice cream?
I think it was that I didn't like how cold ice cream was. But I always ate Jell-O pudding pops when we were at my grandpa's house. Looking back now, that makes no sense to me.
Both treats are cold, so why was I ok with one and not the other?
Good thing I grew out of that strange phase. I'm all about a bowl of ice cream or a slice of Neapolitan Brownie Ice Cream Cake these days.
BUT. Then I got this crazy ice cream pie idea in my head, and I just had to make it right away.
Raise your hand if you have ever had the Ben and Jerry's Chubby Hubby ice cream? I have actually never had it, and I guess I will never get the chance to try it because I can never find it in the stores.
That's ok though because I came up with a delicious homemade alternative for you.
- Pretzel Pie Crust
- For the Ice Cream - Heavy Whipping Cream, malt powder, cream cheese, and sweetened condensed milk
- Mix-ins - Peanut butter, hot fudge, and chocolate covered pretzels
PRO TIP: If you don't have a round pie plate, you could use a 9 or 10 inch round springform pan.
How to Make
- Beat the heavy whipping cream and malt powder until soft peaks form. Chill your bowl and whisk attachment ahead of time to make it whip up faster.
- Beat the cream cheese until nice and creamy. Slowly add the sweetened condensed milk and whip that until it is very creamy. Fold the homemade whipped cream into it. Stir the chocolate covered pretzel pieces into the mixture.
- Spoon HALF the mixture into the crust. Top with peanut butter and hot fudge and swirl it gently.
- Repeat with the remaining ice cream and toppings. FYI: You will have a little bit of the ice cream leftover if you are using a pie plate. Put it into a separate container and freeze it for an extra treat later.
- Freeze the ice cream pie for at least 6 hours or overnight. Right before serving add whipped cream swirls and chocolate covered pretzels.
PRO TIP: If you don't want to make a pie, skip the crust and freeze the mixture in a large freezer bowl.
More Ice Cream Desserts
- A crunchy cookie crust and two layers of ice cream make this Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream a delicious and impressive summer dessert.
- The swirls of chocolate brownie goodness in this Brownie Batter Coffee Ice Cream will have you wanting another scoop in a hurry.
- A scoop of this Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream is a healthier option when you are craving a sweet frozen treat.
- This Homemade Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake looks just like the real thing. Perfect dessert for every birthday.
- A container of this Fluffy Strawberry Banana Ice Cream is a great way to use up fresh fruit. Plus who can resist a pretty pink homemade ice cream?
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for Chubby Hubby Ice Cream Pie was first published July 16, 2018. The post was updated and republished July 6, 2020.
Can you make this ahead of time and freeze it? It looks DELIGHTFUL!!
Yes, this is a great recipe to make ahead of time. It's also an ice cream pie, so it definitely needs to be frozen. I hope you enjoy it!
What does the malt powder do? Bind it together?
The powder gives the vanilla ice cream a malt flavor just like the Ben & Jerry's ice cream has. I hope you enjoy the pie!
Like you, I was not too fond of ice cream we had the homed kind. I did not care for it. But I do like store brought kind now. It only took 40+ years. I will try this pie.
I'd like to make this soon, but I wanted to know first... do you make your own chocolate-covered pretzels or did you buy them?
You can do either...but I went with the easiest choice and bought them 🙂 I hope you enjoy the pie!!!
It looks delicious. Just wondering what original malted powder is and where you buy it.
It is the vanilla malt powder that you can add to drinks. Most grocery stores sell it in the hot chocolate/coffee aisle. They also have a chocolate version of malt powder.
Chubby Hubby is alive and well! Ben & Jerry’s still makes it
Oh, that's good to know. My stores must have been out, and I should have known better than to believe the web when I googled it. I will keep checking our local stores...or I'll just keep making my own. 😉