This easy Homemade Baking Mix recipe comes together in minutes with ingredients from your pantry. It is the perfect substitution in recipes that call for Bisquick or Jiffy Baking Mix.
Growing up we always had a yell0w box of Bisquick in our cupboards. We would use this baking mix shortcut to make biscuits, chicken and dumplings, and strawberry shortcake.
To be completely honest, as a kid I never questioned using a mix. I just thought it was a staple that you had to buy. Even later in life when we got married, I continued to keep a box of baking mix in our pantry.
Then one day I wanted to make pancakes, and I realized that we were completely out of the mix. A couple searches showed me exactly what was in the store bought mix, so I made a quick homemade Bisquick substitute. I love that it is easy to make, saves me money, and I know exactly what is in it.
This easy DIY Bisquick mix can be made in minutes using a few basic ingredients from your pantry.
What is Baking Mix?
Baking mix is a ready made mix consisting of flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening. The original Bisquick also contains sugar, so I usually add a tiny bit as well, but that is optional.
You can use this mix to bake cornbread, biscuits, waffles, pancakes, Raspberry Cheesecake Danish, or in any recipe that calls for Bisquick or Jiffy Mix.
Once you mix together these ingredients you can store this copycat Bisquick mix in a container in the refrigerator and use it for your favorite recipe that calls for Bisquick or an all-purpose baking mix.
How to make a Homemade Baking Mix:
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. (full recipe at bottom of post)
- Add the vegetable shortening and use a pastry blender or food processor to cut the shortening into the dry ingredients until no large pieces are visible.
- Spoon the mixture into an airtight bag or container and place in the refrigerator.
PRO TIP: The shortening should still be visible in the flour, but the pieces should be very small and pea-sized.
How long does Homemade Baking Mix last?
This copycat baking mix will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 months.
Store it in an airtight bag or container. I like to make small batches and store it in large Mason jars because they fit easily across the back of our fridge.
More recipes using baking mix:
- Homemade Blueberry Lemon Danish
- Oreo Banana Pancakes
- Easy Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- Fluffernutter Pancakes
- Funfetti Chocolate Chip Pancake Mix
- Easy Skillet Cornbread
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- Stir together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or a fork until it looks like fine crumbs.
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 4 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 7 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 512mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.