This Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe has crispy edges, soft, chewy centers, and is loaded with chocolate chips. It is a classic cookie that is easy to make and is a hit with everyone.
We love baking chocolate chip cookies. They are the perfect treat for just about any occasion or event.
Over the years we have made quite a few variations on the classic cookie. Some of our favorites are these cherry chocolate chip cookies, these salted caramel chocolate chip cookies, and these almond joy chocolate chip cookies.
Now all of those are absolutely delicious, but our son loves plain and simple desserts. So when he asks for chewy cookies with chocolate chips, this is the only recipe that will do.
Why Make Chocolate Chip Cookies
Every mom and baker needs a classic chocolate chip cookie recipe that they can pull out at a moment's notice. This easy cookie is sure to please everyone that tries it.
The crispy edges and soft chewy centers make these the best cookies around.
These are my favorite chocolate chip cookies when I need to make a treat for a school bake sale, for boys soccer parties, or just because I want cookies and milk in my life.
This recipe is incredibly easy to make with a few simple pantry items. You probably have everything you need to make a batch of these chocolate chip cookies today.
- Butter - Adds a rich flavor to the dough. We prefer to use unsalted butter, so we can control the amount of salt in each recipe.
- Shortening - This has a higher melting point than butter, so it helps to keep the cookies puffy while baking instead of being super thin.
- Sugar - The mixture of granulated sugar and brown sugar makes the cookies crisp and chewy at the same time.
- Eggs - Binds the ingredients together and gives the dough moisture.
- Vanilla & Salt - Adds flavor and balances out the sweetness.
- Cornstarch - Helps the cookies bake up soft and chewy.
- Flour - Properly measured flour is key to the right texture in these cookies.
- Chocolate Chips - Semi-sweet chocolate chips give the best flavor, but you can use whatever you have or like.
How to make the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
The secret to getting a crispy and chewy chocolate chip cookie is using a mixture of butter and shortening in the dough and a little bit of cornstarch.
- Beat together the butter, shortening, and sugars until it is creamy.
- Add the vanilla and eggs and mix again.
- Stir together the dry ingredients and slowly add them to the butter mixture until a soft dough forms. Do not over mix the dough.
- Add the bag of chocolate chips and stir gently. We usually use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but feel free to use white, milk, dark, butterscotch, peanut butter, or a mix of any of the chips.
- Use a cookie scoop to measure the dough out into 30 dough balls. Place 12 dough balls on the prepared baking sheet and bake. Enjoy warm or cooled.
Tips and Tricks
I have been making these crispy and chewy chocolate chip cookies for years, and here are a few tips that I have found makes them taste so amazing.
- Make sure your butter (do NOT use margarine) is only slightly soft. You do not want the butter to be too soft or melted because your cookies will spread too much.
- If you want puffier or fatter cookies, add a little bit more flour to the dough. You can also chill the dough before baking, and they will be thicker.
- Use a Silpat or parchment paper on your baking sheet. This keeps the cookies from spreading too far as they bake.
- Scoop the dough out evenly. This will ensure that all your cookies are the same size and that they will all have the same consistency.
- Do not over bake this chocolate chip cookie recipe! Cookies continue to bake after they come out of the oven. Let the cookies sit on the hot pan for a few minutes before removing them.
- Store the cooled cookies in a tightly sealed container in between layers of parchment paper.
More Easy Cookie Recipes
- Butterscotch M&M Pudding Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Butterfinger Cookies
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
- Cinnamon Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookies
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.