Our Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies are the perfect combination of sweet and salty. Made with oatmeal, chocolate chips, salted caramel chips, and a sprinkling of sea salt, these cookies will satisfy any craving.
I love making (and eating) sweet and salty desserts. Coarse sea salt adds such a great flavor and crunch to any treat.
Over the years these salted caramel brownie bites have been one of our all time favorite sweet and salty treat. I decided it was time to add some sea salt to something else, so I decided to make oatmeal cookies topped with sea salt.
Why You Will Love These
If you're a fan of sweet and salty flavors, these salted caramel chocolate chip cookies are the perfect treat for you. They are made with chocolate chips, salted caramel chips, and a sprinkle of sea salt for an extra special touch.
Plus, they are so easy to make with simple ingredients and do not require any chilling, so you can make a batch in no time at all.
- Sweet and salty flavor combination. The sweetness of the caramel and chocolate chips goes great with the savory flavor of the sea salt creating a sweet and salty flavor combination.
- Soft and chewy texture. These cookies are soft, chewy, and gooey, making them a delight to bite into.
- Easy to customize. You can change up these cookies by adjusting the amount of sea salt or chocolate chips. You could even add in other ingredients like chopped nuts or toffee bits.
These salted caramel cookies are perfect for any occasion, whether you're enjoying them with a coffee float or bringing them to a party or potluck.
This salted caramel cookies recipe has the same basic ingredients as a regular chocolate chip cookie, but with a few extra things added in for more flavor.
- Butter - We used unsalted butter, so we can control the amount of salt in recipes.
- Sugars - A mixture of granulated sugar and light brown sugar gives these cookies a sweet taste.
- Quick Oats - These give a nutty and chewy texture to the cookies.
- Flour - Provides a good structure to the dough.
- Mix- Ins - Chocolate chips and salted caramel chips are a great combo.
- Coarse Sea Salt - The sprinkle of sea salt on top of the cookies enhances the flavor and adds a nice crunch.
How To Make Salted Caramel Cookies
Follow our easy step by step instructions for the perfect chocolate chip cookie with caramel and sea salt.
- Mix together the wet ingredients. Beat the butter and sugars until creamy. Add the egg, vanilla extract, and milk and beat again.
- Add the dry ingredients. Stir together the salt, cornstarch, baking soda, cinnamon, flour, and oats. Slowly beat into the butter mixture until everything is mixed in.
- Stir in the mix-ins. Gently stir in the baking chips. Use a cookie scoop to make 36 even dough balls.
- Bake and cool. Place 12 dough balls on a cookie sheet at a time and bake for 7-8 minutes. Remove and let sit for a few minutes on the hot pan, then gently remove and place on parchment. Sprinkle with sea salt.
On the Counter - Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 5-7 days.
In the Freezer - Freeze leftover cookies in a freezer safe container or bag for up to 3 months.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips to help you make the perfect salted caramel chocolate chip cookies!
- Use room temperature butter. Softened butter will mix more easily with the sugar, resulting in a smoother cookie dough.
- Don't over mix the dough. Mix the dough until the ingredients are just combined. Over mixing can cause the cookies to become tough.
- Use good quality chocolate chips. High-quality chocolate chips will melt better and have a richer flavor.
- Use parchment paper. Lining your baking sheet with parchment paper will prevent the cookies from sticking and make clean-up easier. You can also use a silpat baking sheet.
- Cool the cookies completely. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. This will prevent them from breaking apart.
- Store the cookies properly. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week, or freeze them for up to 3 months in an airtight container or freezer bag.
Yes, you can use salted butter in this recipe. However, you may need to reduce the amount of salt added to the dough to avoid the cookies becoming too salty.
Stored in an airtight container at room temperature, these cookies will stay fresh for up to a week. You can also freeze the cookies for up to 3 months in an airtight container or freezer bag.
Yes, you can omit the sea salt sprinkle on top of the cookies if you prefer. However, the salt adds a nice contrast to the sweetness of the cookies and enhances the overall flavor.
Yes, you can add chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts to the dough if you like. Simply fold them in with the salted caramel baking chips.
More Recipes with Sea Salt
- Salted Caramel Bundt Cake
- Salted Caramel Oreo Ice Box Cake
- Salted Caramel Brownie Bites
- Salted Caramel Mocha Creamer
- Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark
- Salted Caramel Mocha Latte
- Oatmeal bars with Dark Chocolate and Sea Salt
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*The post for salted caramel chocolate chip cookies was first published December 2016. It was updated and republished March 2023.