The layers of frosting and peanut butter cup candies in this Peanut Butter Explosion Chocolate Cake will impress everyone at dessert. It's the perfect cake to make for parties or bake sales.
I wanted to stop in today and let you know how my journey with P90X is going. We are half way through week 2, so woo hoo only 10 more weeks to go!
Uuuugggg! Doesn't sound as exciting that way, does it? Let's stick with HALFWAY through week 2!!!
I would much rather be sleeping in and baking my way through cupcakes and brownies instead. But I guess that's what got me into this predicament in the first place. Late night snacking on Mocha Fudge Cupcakes and Reese's Popcorn has come back to bite me on the big butt!
Some things that I have discovered while working out with these videos...
- It wasn't as hard as what I was afraid of. Now don't get me wrong it is super tough, and I am panting and sweating my way through each video.
- Yoga is for the birds. I have been doing the extra cardio video in place of it. Anyone out there that likes yoga? More power to ya! I would rather be moving.
- New sore muscles each morning are just going to happen. Imagine the pain I am feeling right now after about a billion girly push ups, and that was 2 days ago!
- Those of you who warned me of the superman and banana. Uuuggggg is all I have to say!
- You will actually gain weight the first week of doing this! Believe me NOT COOL!!!! I realize that it is just muscles growing, so that they can shrink, but come on already. With all the sweating going on I should have lost some right?
- Determination is needed to keep yourself going each morning, or even just to push play each day. LOL!
Personally I would rather dive into a big slice of this yummy Peanut Butter Explosion Chocolate Cake. But it's probably not in the P90x diet guide.
So if you make this cake, remember me and my sugar deprived body while you are enjoying it!
I was looking through some old pics and realized that I never shared this chocolate cake from my birthday. Yes, I made my own cake if you were wondering. Believe me it is better that way! My hubby handles dinner, and I do all the baking! We work well together!!!
Plus, I knew exactly what I wanted in it, and I like doing it! Box cake mix hacks are some of my favorite things to do in the kitchen. I like to pretend I'm a cake mix doctor and create new and improved desserts from box mixes!
If you don't like peanut butter, you probably should stop reading right now. This cake is not for you! You may enjoy this Strawberry Mousse Cake instead.
How to make a Peanut Butter Explosion Chocolate Cake:
- Make two chocolate cake mixes following the package directions. Stir a bag of mini Reese's peanut butter cups into the batter.
- Grease and "flour" 2 - 10x2 inch round cake pans with cocoa powder. Cocoa powder dissolves into the batter, so you don't have a white ring when it comes out of the pan.
- Divide the batter evenly into the two pans and bake for 28 minutes. All ovens bake differently, so make sure to test it with a toothpick or knife to see if it is done.
- Let the cakes cool completely, then cut each cake in half horizontally.
- Fill the cake layers with the Best Honey Peanut Butter Frosting. Make sure to reserve at least ¼ cup frosting for the top decorations.
- Cover the top and sides with Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting. You can use a cake decorating tool to make the grooves on the sides of the cake. Or you can use a fork and just drag it through lightly all around the entire cake.
- Use a piping bag and icing tip 21 to swirl the reserved peanut butter frosting on top. Add peanut butter cups to the swirls.
More chocolate and peanut butter dessert recipes to try:
- A no bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie is a decadent dessert that everyone will love.
- This Peanut Butter Chocolate Latte tastes like peanut butter cups swirled in your coffee. Swoon!!
- I'm going to be dreaming about these Layered Chocolate & Peanut Butter Brownies all night long!
- These Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake Cookie Bars are the perfect blend of cookie and cheesecake into one easy to hold bar cookie.
Peanut Butter Explosion Chocolate Cake Recipe:
Looks good but why do you have to grease and flour the cake pans for 28 minutes??? It takes me 2 minutes tops! LOL!
haha! That sentence does sound pretty funny, huh?
OMG! Now this is a birthday cake.
Hands down the best frosting recipe I have ever made! I will definitely be making this cake again!
I have a question. The recipe calls for 12 peanut butter cups. Is that the regular size, and what do you do with them?
Those are for the decorations on top of the frosting 🙂 They are the small peanut butter cups.
Thanks, Jocelyn. I saw that it called for 1 bag of small Peanut Butter Cups and then 12 Peanut Butter Cups and thought it meant regular size, but I kept reading the recipe and didn't see where to use them.
Hello! I'm stopping by from the Cake vs Cheesecake Challenge Link Up - your recipe looks so yummy! I just l adore peanut butter and chocolate together. I''m pinning this for later, my friend!
Thank you so much!!! Chocolate and peanut butter is my favorite too!!!
I made this cake last week for my husband's birthday cake. My whole family loved it! The frosting was soooo good. I found the honey peanut butter cream frosting was sweet enough with only 3 cups of powdered sugar though. Regardless, it was probably the best cake I've had in a long time and really, it all comes down to the frosting recipes!
Thank you so much for sharing! That frosting is definitely one of my favorites too!!!
I borrowed P90x from my sister awhile back, but never actually got around to trying it. 🙂 And yes - this cake looks AMAZING!! Thanks so much for linking up to Taste and Tell Thursdays!
I'm sad to admit that I only made it through 6 weeks of the program and then gave it up to go run.
Pink Overalls @DIY Home Staging
I just found you at Handy Man Crafty Woman, and my mouth is still watering. I always make my own birthday cakes, too. Now I don't feel so strange. Thanks for a great recipe.
Just found you from Ladybird Ln. I love your insights on the p90x. I've been on week 6 for about 4 months now. Hehe. I started all gung ho- but now I just do it on my own in no particular order. The yoga stinks. But everyone says stick with it, it makes a big difference even if it doesn't feel like it. As for the one-handed pushups- good luck (I think those are week 4). I'm your newest follower!
-Aimee @ shugarysweets
Aimee @ ShugarySweets
Saw this on facebook and KNEW this WAS THE POST. The first time I ever found you 🙂
I'm enjoying following your P90X journey. Perhaps it'll motivate me at some point to put down the fork and get my buns moving. In the meantime, I'll muster all the restraint I can not to make my own Peanut Butter Explosion Cake!
What a fantastic looking cake! Such an indulgence, but oh so worth it.
Katie @ This Chick Cooks
Thanks for stopping in to show off your fabulous cake at These Chicks Cook. Hope you can come back by and share another recipe Wednesday. Have a wonderful week 🙂
I am going to make this for my very own birthday in a few weeks! Looks DELISH!! I featured you on our Friday Flair Features!!
Oh my, that cake looks delish. Peanut butter and chocolate-how could one go wrong, eh?
Handy Man, Crafty Woman
Thanks for linking this up to Wicked Awesome Wednesday! I'm going to feature your recipe next week, it just looks so good!
Looks yummy. I don't think I can get Reece cups here in Australia, so I'll have to improvise. I'm your newest follower. Looking forward to reading more of your blog.
Oh my goodness.... this looks heavenly! I love peanut butter and chocolate! And it was great to get an update on p90x, maybe someday I will dare to try it! Thanks for showing off on my blog, I am going to be featuring this, Monday... or tuesday!
You make me smile. Only you would talk about cake in the same post as exercise.
Way to go!
HAve a great weekend!
Madigan at madiganmade
Goodness, how could you dare forget to share this cake with us?? It looks divine! (And good luck with the training!)
Woo Hoo for you! I have been training for a hike with my hubby in Yosemite (this weekend), so have been going on local hikes with a 25 lb. backpack and I have lost 11 lbs. in three weeks:) I'm on my way:) Your workout sounds a lot harder!
Just looking at this gorgeous cake is satisfaction enough~for now:)